Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Summer Movie List

187 posts in this topic

Posted

So I actually made a big list of movies I wanted to see over the summer, and I figured it would probably be a good idea to keep track of them in a better way than using a facebook status. So Here I am making a thread about my list. Here it is, which I plan to see in no particular order and will update as I go. I'll also make posts concerning my thoughts on these movies, too.:

• District 9
  • Elysium
  • The Seven Samurai
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Reservoir dogs
  • Rashomon
  • Bladerunner(rewatching)
  • Dune
  • 12 Angry Men
  • Firefly (the ten or so episodes and the movie)
  • Chinatown
  • Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
  • The Game of Death
  • Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid(maybe)
  • Bonnie and Clyde(maybe)
  • Ghost in the Shell (actually I think I want to see the whole series?)
  • Dark City
  • The Maltese Falcon(I don't know anything about it other than humphrey bogart)
  • The indiana jones trilogy
  • The Fifth Element
  • the shawshank redemption
  • The Usual Suspects
  • The world of apu
  • Porco Rosso
  • Rear Window
  • Nightmare Alley
  • Shoot em' up
  • The Wolf Children
  • The Lego Movie
  • Inside Man
  • Do the Right Thing
  • It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
  • Airplane
  • Lord of War
  • Terminal
  • Stranger than fiction
  • Doctor Strangelove
  • Fantastic Mister Fox
  • The Departed
  • Gangs of New York
  • Magnolia
  • The outlaw Josie Wales <-------------------my friends recommended a bunch of movies starting here (they singlehandedly doubled my list jeez)
  • High Planes Drifter
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
  • Unforgiven <-------------------------------------- considered one of the best westerns, if not THE best of all time apparently
  • Quick and the Dead
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Weird
  • The man who shot Liberty Valance
  • Ocean's Eleven (THE ORIGINAL THOUGH)
  • Being John Malkovich
  • Kelly's Heroes
  • Gran Torino? Maybe?
  • Dirty Harry
  • Natural Born Killers
  • Matchstick Men
  • 3:10 to Yuma (the original)
  • Gladiator
  • American Gangster (maybe)
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • Lethal Weapon Series
  • The Mad Max Series
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Thin Red Line
  • Cross of Iron
  • Patton
  • Alls quiet on the western front
  • Frost Nixon
  • Hurt Locker
  • Jarhead
  • Top Gun
  • Air Force One
  • Brazil
  • Afro Samurai
  • Bridge over the river kwai
  • Ben Hur
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Who framed roger rabbit
  • The Incredibles
  • Die Hard
  • The Matrix
  • Persepolis
  • Rocky
  • The Passion of Joan of Arc
  • American Psycho
  • Whatever the documentary is where dennis rodman goes to north korea
  • Cocaine Cowboys which has apparently three documentaries
  • Idiot Abroad <--------------------------------------------------------------------- Definitely have to watch this one
  • The Invention of Lying
  • In Bruges

That's what I've got. If anybody's got any suggestions I'm always willing to hear them.

There were a few great movies I saw just before I made this list, which I'm going to add to the list anyways as a courtesy. I thought I might as well mention them before I go any further, "The Seven Samurai and Lawrence of Arabia." Both famous, famous movies and both very, very good and both stupidly, stupidly long. Seven Samurai was three and a half hours and Lawrence of Arabia was 3:45. I think it might actually be just over four hours with the director's cut, which I don't believe I saw.

Seven Samurai I highly recommend as an action movie to anyone, especially if you enjoyed The Avengers. Lawrence of Arabia is gorgeous. Without going into it, the character of Lawrence himself reminds me a lot of Vash the Stampede, but if you haven't seen lawrence don't go into it thinking its going to be anything like the Trigun based on that description. Also Lawrence of Arabia is hilariously racist. I'm just sort of writing this as I go. But definitely watch both of those movies.

Also I saw Reservoir Dogs with LL. It was pretty good but not great.

Posted

+ Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Grand Budapest Hotel is also good but that's not out on DVD til June in America, and July over here.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

The Departed, Gangs of New York, Magnolia, you fool.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

God, I don't know how I keep forgetting all four of those films. I'm gonna go add those now, and also Dr. Strangelove. The Grand Budapest Hotel I have not heard of and don't know anything about.

Posted

I was considering watching Dr. strangelove last night

Posted

You haven't seen The indiana Jones movies? Heathen

But seriously though, Make that maybe on butch and sundance a will. Its my second favorite western. My first is

The good The bad and The ugly, which is also my favorite movie. So watch it.

Also with Game of death, only part of it was filmed with bruce Lee before he died. So, just keep that in mind. The rest of it was part of the short lived Bruceploitation genre.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

God, I don't know how I keep forgetting all four of those films. I'm gonna go add those now, and also Dr. Strangelove. The Grand Budapest Hotel I have not heard of and don't know anything about.

It's just from this year. It's funny and a little ~different~ in it's direction style. Not a priority. Same director as Fantastic Mr Fox, so if you like the way the scenes are laid out and how the camera moves, you might like The Grand Budapest Hotel as well.

Posted

Watched Rashomon last night. I can see why it's called a masterpiece, but I think I enjoyed The Seven Samurai more. Either way, I definitely need to see more Akira Kurosawa films.

Posted

some great films I watched in my latinamerican film class in argentina:

City of God - based in the slums of Rio, so it'll all in portuguese but it's puppying intense

Nueve Reinas - pretty great heist film

Fresa y Chocolate - a dude and his gay friend in Cuba when communism was getting big

Amores Perros - by the same dude who directed Babel if you've ever seen it, kind of similar storytelling

La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful) - I didn't watch this in class, but it's a beautiful Italian film, very feel-good until the end (WWII etc)

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

oh, la vita e bella. I've seen this movie in bits and pieces. The very end of it I think is brilliant. It's a very very good movie, and I'd like to watch it the whole way through someday.

Posted

As for movies I've seen recently, two black-and-white ones come to mind. There's Paths of Glory and Sunset Boulevard, for movies that I think you might particularly like. I'm not sure how you'll like it, but Citizen Kane is a very historically influential movie. It's often cited as a reason that film makers get into film making, as it laid a lot of groundwork for cinematography. Many call it the best movie in history.

Posted

Grown Ups 2

Knuckle likes this

Posted

Citizen Kane I am not worried about seeing, because I'm taking a critical interpretation of TV and Film class next semester and I could not be more confident I'll be watching it there. That and Casablanca.

Posted

Oh uhh, if you don't have any stigmas about silent films I would recommend these...

Metropolis: There are three cuts of this movie, The original, when a lot of the original footage was missing, The full, which puts it all back in, and the 80s cut. I recommend the 80s cut. It has a kickass 80s soundtrack, and I believe, but I could be wrong, its been a while, that it has subtitles instead of dialogue cards. Sort of looks more...natural I guess? Anyways, its a great movie

The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari: This movie is where Tim Burton Aped his Aesthetic from. The whole movie has these crazy angles, and it creates a very interesting atmosphere.

Nosferatu: Yeah, I don't have to say much. Count Orlok is creepy as puppy.

The two big upsides to silent films is they are generally short, there are caveats Mabuse the gamble, by the same director as metropolis, was 4 hours long, and because its silent you can talk over it and not miss anything, so if you have any friends who would watch this kind of thing, thats fine.

Posted

All About Lily Chou Chou