Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Summer Movie List

187 posts in this topic

Posted

I already recommended him the series since I know he'd love how DEEP it is, but he said he doesn't have the time or money to play the franchise.

But I bet that'll change since you recommended it to him! HEH.

Posted

Time I understand. Not that any of them are SUPER long. Money wise, you could just get the legacy collrction and thats basically everything, barring the yet to be released 5

Posted

He doesn't have a PS3 or a 360, thus he would need to buy one of those and apparently all of the other fantastic games that could come with that are also not enough to sway his opinion, like Journey, Nier, and, crazy enough, Dark Souls 2. (He wants that on PC though.)

Posted

Wasn't Ground Zeroes released on PC? I could look this up but I'm not

Posted

Man, you're hardcore, LL. It's console-only. PS3, PS4, 360, Xbox One.

Besides that, are you suggesting he start off with a demo of a game that's so far into the franchise, he won't catch on to any references at all nor understand any of the actual plot that lead up to this point in the series? I can understand skipping Portable Ops, but not Snake Eater or Peace Walker. Even then, having played all the main games is a much better way of experience the Metal Gear Solid series.

Don't tell me you're a baddy, LL.

Posted

Actually, I could procure a copy of Twin Snakes, which is a remastering of the first MGS games for the Gamecube, but it'd be a friend's copy and you probably don't have a Gamecube-compatible console on you.

Those games really do blur the line between film and cinema though. Not in like a lame interactive movie kind of way. Hideo Kojima has been described as "the closest video gaming has to an auteur". It's a really good series with high standards for its writing and unique sensibilities.

Posted

Heavy Rain is also dope and chill

Posted

Heavy Rain was cool. Didn't bother with more than two endings though. Beyond Two Souls is probably cool as well though, and I'll get that... someday.

Posted

I read Beyond two souls and had to google that because I thought you meant beyond good and evil, which is a game I have thought about picking up since my roommate has a gamecube he shares with all of us, but I never did. Thought just yesterday he revealed he has a copy of phantasy star online for the gamecube and we talked about possibly getting four people together to play through the game with our individual characters. But that's neither here nor there because this is a thread about movies.

Posted

Actually, I could procure a copy of Twin Snakes, which is a remastering of the first MGS games for the Gamecube, but it'd be a friend's copy and you probably don't have a Gamecube-compatible console on you.

Those games really do blur the line between film and cinema though. Not in like a lame interactive movie kind of way. Hideo Kojima has been described as "the closest video gaming has to an auteur". It's a really good series with high standards for its writing and unique sensibilities.

Now I'm not saying this is a horrible idea, but this is a horrible idea. Playing the original on PS1 beforehand is more preferable. Twin Snakes is like is Snack were in a bar retelling, drunk, retelling the story of his adventures at Shadow Moses. It's just too ridiculous and over-the-top, even more than usual, obviously. Like, all the Metal Gear Solid games are crazy, but they are grounded at least. Twin Snakes is a complete action movie in comparison.

And, sadly, the PS1 original has arguably the best set of enemies in the series. They all have clear skills and motives that make sense, while later ones are strange and have very unclear motives if at all. Thus, I feel like it should be experienced as it originally was.

From what I saw of it, it's not a bad game, and it is quite hilarious to watch, but I just don't think it's right for a first go-through of the game.

Posted

My chemistry teacher in high school showed doctor strangelove

Posted

Is that the guy who ended all of his friday classes with a quick speech on not to do drugs or whatever?

Posted

well muffin, unless I can procure a copy of the original PS1 discs and pheo's Mac is capable of running Playstation 1 emulators, that's just not going to happen

Posted

I kind of half plan on watching movies by that Ralph Bakshi guy who did Coonskin. I've only watched Wizards so far but it was cool enough.