Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Summer Movie List

187 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah I need to rewatch coonskin and fritz the cat probably. The opening lines in Fritz are some of the funniest I've ever heard anywhere.

Posted

I tried watching Her but it made me a bit mopey so I stopped. I'll get back to it one day.

I've watched just about all of Wes Anderson's movies by now. He's one of those hyped directors that people cite as a sole reason for watching a movie at all. He's just one of those twee indie filmmakers with a ~quirky~ sense of humor and style. I've liked it all for the most part though. In order of preference; Fantastic Mr. Fox > The Grand Budapest Hotel = The Aquatic Life with Steven Zissou > Moonrise Kingdom > The Darjeeling Limited > The Royal Tenenbaums > Rushmore. Just got Bottle Rocket, his earliest movie yet to watch. There are some obvious directing techniques he uses a lot and continuously pop up but it's not bad. Lots of classic rock music; wide-angle shots; choppy quick character interactions; slow motion; lines like "I love you but you don't know what you're talking about" i.e. unnaturally concise meaningful statements nobody would come out with in real life, but it's okay for a movie.

Also Fritz the Cat is cool so far. I'm not weird and far gone enough to make my friends watch this movie though.

Posted

Yeah, honestly the main reason I havent really sat anyone down to watch it with me ever is because, well, its fritz the cat. You have to make the concious decision to watch the movie.

Posted

Watching Fehérlófia. Not seen anything with animation quite like this. It's brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq1nOAFCvaE

If you want to watch it you'll have to put on the captions.

Has some really great animation in it that captivated me. He fights three dragons: a club-wielding three-headed golem; a seven-headed war machine; and a twelve-headed almost digital monstrosity resembling a cityscape (this is a movie from 1981 too). The last battle in particular for me is really nicely animated, and it starts around this time into the movie, ending about 1:06:00ish. A little after that, but there's some more great animation just before it too. Plenty flashing images too by the way.

I am using this as pretty much a movie discussion thread at this point by the way.

Posted

Is that the guy who ended all of his friday classes with a quick speech on not to do drugs or whatever?

no, that was the 70ish year old biology teacher, who was the former stage magician and was awesome

Posted

Twin Peaks. Ignore naysayers that say nay about season 2 and the movie

Posted

Change of plans. I'm gonna rewatch all of NGE with my roommate because he saw the whole series years ago but never saw the movie so he doesn't really know how it ended. I thought maybe if we started watching from episode 23 and 24 just for some review we'd be able to watch the movie and understand kind of what was going on but 3/4ths of the way through 23 I realized it had been so long that I couldn't tell what was going on, and I know it's been waaaaaaay longer for him. So today we're going to watch probably episodes one and two and do the whole series from there, including the movie. Watching Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo was next on my list, and then Nightmare Alley, which is a detective noire film that I wanted to watch just to get a taste of the genre, but both of those are going to have to wait a while.

Posted

I'm still totally dragging my feet with NGE. I'm following it well enough though, so not too slow paced. I'm on maybe like episode 15? It's not confused me too much yet though, so I'm waiting for that to happen. There was some psychological shit in the latest episode I watched so maybe that kick is coming up or something.

Posted

Its really not all that confusing.

Posted (edited)

You've got a fantastic selection of movies there, Pheo. Akira Kurosawa and Stanley Kubrick are two of my favorite directors, so I'm glad you plan to watch more from them. Kubrick is especially nice to watch a lot of in a short period of time since jumped genres constantly making it very hard to get tired of him. My favorite Kubrick movie is Paths of Glory, which Sahaqiel already mentioned, and my favorite Akira Kurosawa movie would probably be either The Seven Samurai, which you've seen, or Throne of Blood, which is a loose adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth but set in feudal Japan. 

There have been lots of other great suggestions, but I'll also just throw out how much I absolutely adore Alfonso Cuaron's last two movies: Gravity and Children of Men. 

Oh, and almost forgot to mention some classic Sci-fi you might like: The Day the Earth Stood Still (original) and Forbidden Planet.

Edited by Agent Zako (see edit history)

Posted

lars and the real girl

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

why

Posted

thinks episodes 23 and 24 of NGE are adequate for understanding what happened in the series

Posted

is this being updated or