Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Summer Movie List

187 posts in this topic

Posted

Haven't watched anything for the past few days. The time I'd usually spend watching a movie I have instead been spending watching Eva with my roommate. I'll probably watch vertigo tonight though.

Posted

The Invention of Lying was on tv last night. I was like "oh ive seen this before!.... but how does it end?" and then i remember that it was a really dull movie that i never finished, even though i was watching it with friends. I either up and left the room or fell asleep. cant remember.

lars and the real girl

why

because its a really fantastic and emotionally moving movie.

Posted

If by emotionally moving you mean, Ryan Gosling speaking softly to a manikin for 2 hours, absolutely.

I kid, I kid, but that movie did not permeate my feels.

Posted

Was it actually a good movie? I only asked "why" because george suggested it without saying anything and I thought he was just kidding around. Maybe it would be a good movie to watch back to back with "her" though.

Anyways I just finished watching Rear Window, which is what I meant when I said virtigo. All I remembered was that I downloaded one of the two. It was a pretty good movie, but I don't know if I really liked it all that much. It felt too obvious. The entire time I was expecting a great big plot twist at the end, but it was just another one of those "I was right the whole time" things.

Posted

Sometimes the best swerve is no swerve

Posted

Ryan gosling is super sexy but his movies are usually just him being sexy. But Lars is way different. He's not even sexy in that movie on purpose! I cried watching Lars, but that's because growing up as a kid with Aspergers I could relate to his character. I didn't want to be a part of the community and Ryan gosling portrays that pretty well. It's a growing up movie staring a grown up man. It's rad.

Drive was pretty good too if only cause it was cool.

Only god forgives is still a mystery to me. What was it even about?!

Edit- yeah watch Lars. If you think it's just about him being quirky with a manikin, you're wrong. It's about him coming to terms with himself and how a fantastic community SHOULD be there to support him. Like puppy that's how you help someone!!

Posted

Alright, I'll take it under consideration. The only reason I haven't added it to my list from yours and ganny's recommendations is, well, that list got LONG out of nowhere, and I'll probably have to trim the fat later from what my roommates suggested. There's definitely some essentials in there and definitely some unnecessaries that I don't really have to watch.

Like I said though, it actually sounds a lot like a movie that I should watch back to back with "Her" based on what little I know about both of those movies. Grown men falling in love with inanimate objects. Even though I'm pretty sure that's about all they have in common, I think it would make for an interesting movie night. I have the same opinion of "Le Ballon Rouge" and "Rubber." I also have not seen Rubber. But I want to watch Le Ballon Rouge before I watch rubber. Because I feel like that will make it funnier.

Posted

Watch The Bloody Olive. It's a short film.

Also, I recently watched Moon. It was really good, though it was kind of weird in that it felt like a modern movie with 90s sensibilities. It was also really predictable. I couldn't stop calling things in my head, even though it made the movie slightly less enjoyable. Near-nonstop obvious ride. Really the predictableness is why I brought it up. It's good, it's just... predictable.

Posted

Well that he's a clone isn't like supposed to be like a massive twist. You see that coming in the first half of the movie. I think it's a good thing. The story goes beyond "well you're a clone, let's all marvel in that". We actually get pretty used to the clone. It's a solid movie.

Posted

Yeah it's solid, it's just oddly conventional for a movie dealing with futuristic and ethically gray areas.

I did think it was strange and neat how they interacted. But I don't want to spoil anything.

Posted

Watch The Bloody Olive. It's a short film.

Also, I recently watched Moon. It was really good, though it was kind of weird in that it felt like a modern movie with 90s sensibilities. It was also really predictable. I couldn't stop calling things in my head, even though it made the movie slightly less enjoyable. Near-nonstop obvious ride. Really the predictableness is why I brought it up. It's good, it's just... predictable.

Wasn't that by David Bowie's son?

Posted

Moon has been sitting in my room waiting to be watched for a while. Still not terribly bothered about getting round to it though.

I watched Blood Simple (Coen Brothers) the other day and it was also really good. I'd recommend that one too. Some brilliant scenes.

Also kind of watched The Third Man. I say 'kind of' because I wasn't giving it my full attention. Not a great lot to say about it. I might watch it again someday though. One scene near the end heavily reminded me of a scene from In Bruges.

And if you haven't watched In Bruges pheo, I really really recommend it. Dark comedy with heavy emotional vibes throughout. It's a brilliant movie, easily one of my favourites. 

Posted

Oh, the third man. I downloaded that movie a while ago intending to watch it, but never got around to it and ended up deleting it. Was it any good?

Just finished watching Nightmare Alley. It was okay I guess. Apparently it's called a classic, but the movie itself tacks on a happy ending where the original story had a sad one. I feel like it had a few different story elements which would go on to be more elaborated upon more centrally in later movies. Sort of like how Rosemary's Baby's ending is really kinda cheesey, but everyone remembers it for being such a famously influential movie, and all the better occult horror movies we know since then have come from that movie.

I need a good action movie next. I'm gonna see crouching tiger hidden dragon. Also the game of death.

Also I watched the bloody olive, sahaqiel. It was goofy.

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

The Third Man was okay. Like I said I wasn't paying much attention so my opinion on the matter doesn't count for much.

Watch Skyfal; Skyfall is good. Also Scott Pilgrim vs the World is quite unique and really fun to watch. Fight Club too if you've not seen that. And I'll mention In Bruges again in case you didn't read that part (I really want everybody to watch In Bruges).

I'm planning on watching The Millennium Trilogy at some point. Those being; The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's nest. Crime mystery thriller sort of thing. It's what you'd call 'Nordic Noir' which is now a legitimate genre considering Scandanavian crime novels and film tend to have a certain quality to them supposedly. My dad's quite into it, so he can attest to that.

The movies are in Swedish (with an optional English dubbed track), and for some reason they went and made a full English one with Daniel Craig. Apparently it was good, but I'll stick with the Swedish ones because they actually have the full material, and also I want to hear it in the original language.