Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Summer Movie List

187 posts in this topic

Posted

There's a real momentum to the MCU, except for Iron Man 2 and Thor. Like, the new movies are topping all of the old ones. I think Marvel themselves said that Captain America 2 was their best movie when it came out. I am getting excited for Avengers 2. For a long time, it's been really far away. But it's starting to sink in that it'll be released at some point.

Also, does anyone remember how bad the Collector scene looked in Thor 2's credits? I am glad that GotG didn't look like it.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I feel like the MCU is doing something that hasn't been done before in cinema. That is, they're creating a series of films that are all linked and part of a greater story, but aren't direct sequels but are rather concurrent with each other. At least for the first round, you didn't need to watch any of the other films to understand the rest of them, and then they all collided into The Avengers.

I'm not even a big fan of the MCU, I'm ambivalent at best to the films. But I admire their scope, for sure.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

The scope is cool. I do feel, however, that they're doing a bit of what makes superhero comics bad. The increasing escalation is a double edged sword.

Posted

Yes, I'm not actually saying it'll work out, I think it's going to get really ridiculous really quickly until they need to do a reboot in 10 years or so. But I admire the attempt, regardless.

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

I read that Universal is trying to get in on the extended universe movie franchise, but they only own the rights to Marvel's Namor (an excellent character by the way) so they are doing a Classic Monster Universe starting with yet another Mummy reboot. I'm not too excited to see another Mummy reboot, but I'll deff stay tuned for Wolfman/Creature from the Black Lagoon/Frankenstein/Invisible Man/etc crossovers. Will they be allies? Enemies? Who will they be fighting? Will there be teams? I'm excited. I just hope they don't take it very seriously, that would kill it for me.

Verity and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

Yeah, I agree, Verity. I wasn't trying to disagree

And that sounds cool, Phanta. Serious versions of them, or versions that try to be "THE definitive" version will probably lack creativity and inspiration.

Verity and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

The original monster movies had a very interesting sort of continuity between them. They contradicted themselves a lot but it was one of the first kind of things like that.

Also, Pheo, have you seen Seven Psychopaths? Its pretty good. Tom Waits is in it a bit, so I figured you might wanna watch it.

Posted

Yeah, it's been on my list for a while, I can't remember if I've added it to this list in particular or not. Tom actually has appearances in many movies generally playing himself-but-not-himself, and while part of me wants to watch all of them, part of me also knows that it may not be worth going through several hour long films for the sake of a twenty second appearance. He also plays THE DEVIL HIMSELF in Doctor Parnassus, and there's a short animated film called the creature of Nix in which he plays A HORRIBLE MONSTER and so on. Here's a scene from him in Wristcutters: A Love Story, which I would like to see actually:

Posted

You're acting as if Shrek 2 isn't the single most important Tom Waits cameo/appearance.

Verity, Knuckle, PrimaGaga and 1 other like this

Posted

Single most important film*

Posted

What's so good about Tom Waits?

PrimaGaga and Teto like this

Posted

exactly

Posted

Get. Off. My. Forum.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

There's plenty of good about Tom Waits. He's the sole producer of gravel for the entire world. It all comes out of his voice, and it sounds like it's torturing him.

pheonix561, Teto and Knuckle like this

Posted

I'm sorry.