Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Summer Movie List

187 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah I think I made my viewing of the fifth element sound harsher than i meant for it to. It was a pretty good funny movie, in a dumb way. I think I use the word "dumb" differently than most people. I don't use it as inherently derogatory. I can call something dumb and still like it. I liked the fifth element but I think I was expecting to like it more than I did, from the way people talk about it.

Also muffin I have seen perfect blue and praised the shit out of it. I think it's a brilliant film. And Teto I definitely recommend blade runner to you. It's widely praised as one of the best scifi movies ever made, and definitely one of the best world builders. It's certainly worth your time.

Posted

Ah, makes sense. But, yeah, definitely a movie to watch with friends and laugh at.

Also, I didn't know?? Why didn't you comment on my post about it then, Pheonix?? Gosh...............................

Posted

Yeah, I'll keep it in mind. I read the book it was based on, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, because of a reference in Psycho-Pass, where one of the characters compares their controlled society to the future envisioned in that book.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Just throwing this out there, I keep seeing "Grand Budapest Hotel" getting stellar reviews, so I'll probably watch it. Also, "Her."

Posted

Teto recommended it to you in 16 different posts, so it's good you finally read them.

Posted

I think I also already said I was going to watch it too? I was just reiterating that fact because I'm planning on doing it soon. My roommate and I are going to be watching Mulholland Drive also.

Posted

My roommates and I bought beer and pizza and chicken wings and we all watched mullholland drive together and it was great. Then just today LL and I watched Gangs of New Yrok together and it was also great but I think I liked mullholland drive more. But it was still great. LL and I might watch Angel's Egg next because neither of us have seen it but both of us love the director and the people working on it and have heard great things, and also my roommate and I might watch Jin-Roh next. Jin-Roh and Angel's Egg are both directed by the guy who did Sky Crawlers, which is one of my all time favorite movies. Also I'm going to get my roommate to watch the seven samurai with me too because he hasn't seen it. Also LL I'm probably going to convince you to watch Lawrence of Arabia with me one day but you're going to have to dedicate a day to it because its FOUR HOURS LONG. But great.

I'm really straying away from my list.

Posted

Oh man, you liked Mullholand drive? I don't suppose I could convince you, then, to watch Twin Peaks?

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

It's certainly something I'd consider. My roommate and I have been talking about watching it together, but he's the same guy who I wanted to watch NGE with and we only got to two episodes. I think we're better suited to things you only have to spend one afternoon on. As for watching it alone, however, I can definitely see myself watching twin peaks yes.

Posted

I love me some twin peaks ;)

Posted

Twin Peaks was alright. I watched it pretty slowly so it didn't impact on me much, but my memory of how I felt watching the show is clear and clean, without any indication that at any point I didn't like it. It fails to meet the hype or praise for me, but not because it's technically bad in any way.

Posted

I guess the characters must have fell flat for you. Thats the best thing about it, the characters. The plot is really more or less an excuse to just have all of these characters and hear their stories.

And then theres the movie... Which I may be like, the 1st person I know that liked, but whatever

Posted

Just saw the Lego Movie. I just want to let you guys know that it was probably THE BEST FUCKING MOVIE I HAVE SEEN ALL SUMMER. HOLY FUCK. It should be illegal for any movie to be this good. My god. the movie is gorgeous, it's always laugh out loud hilarious, and it makes so many digs at the history of legos, along with classic references to all the best lego sets. The plot is so much better than you would expect, and I'm trying to avoid saying things about it. But, uh. If anybody was having any doubts about seeing that movie, understand that it's actually SERIOUSLY ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES I CAN ALREADY TELL. Seriously, I've been sitting here comparing it to every other kid's movie I've seen and it's definitely got to be the best. By far. I'll say it: It's on par with or even better than The Incredibles. It's that good. All of the stellar reviews I have seen surrounding this movie haven't been stellar enough. If you're a child, you'll love it. If you're over eighteen, you'll FUCKING LOVE IT.

The only other movies in recent memory I've seen get such fantastic reviews are "Her" and "Grand Budapest Hotel." So I definitely have to bump those up on my list now. Someone wanted to see it with me recently so maybe I'll watch it soon. By myself though because I barely know that guy.

Posted

:D :D :D

Posted

By the way, I still highly recommend watching the two movies I finished watching just before I started watching this list: Lawrence of Arabia and The Seven Samurai. Has anyone here watched either of those?

I'm thinking of putting together a list of movie posters I'd want decorating my room or future apartment or whatever based on whether they are my favorite movies or not. Seriously considering throwing the lego movie into that list because it's THAT GOOD. I'd consider getting this one if it weren't for the fact that it's a limited edition print, and kind of small for what I'd like to do:

xIUk5bK.jpg