Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A Tournament of Sorts...

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Don't usually post in this section of the forum because I haven't done free style role-playing in a very long time. Also, I guess because the big one on this part would be the Zelda ones, and of course my knowledge and expertise of it can be a bit lacking. Every once in a while I pop into that thread and I remember warm feelings of those halcyon days of yore.

A bit of background, I think I started when I was 12 or 13, and it was all about IRC. And when I got on, everyone was about RP fights. This was pretty natural, most everyone there was heavy into Shounen action series, so there was tons of people playing "The long lost Uchiha that also lived" Makes me cringe a bit sometimes, but they were fun times. 

The point I'm getting at is, I think it would be interesting to do a little experiment. I'd like to open this up, if anyone's interested, to not only those who frequent the role playing section, but anyone who enjoys a little writing on the side. If theres enough people, we could do a tournament of characters made for RP fighting

There are a few rules I should get into, but before I go all full throttle, is anyone interested?

Some rules to get us started, most of these may not be applicable depending on the kind of power levels we go with here.

1) Characters have to be your creation. They cannot be from any existing franchises

2. No Autoconnecting/godmodding. This means that when you make an attack You write in like, "I take my sword and slash it at your midsection" rather then "I take my sword and slash you in half" This way, the other writer has the opportunity to block/dodge/parry if its conceivable, and to launch a counterattack if they wish. In general, if the attack you have in mind requires you to role-play the other character you can't really do it, unless you have the consent of the other person

3) Super attacks require a turn to charge, or concentrate, depending

4) No barriers. They suck.

5) You have 72 hours from the point that the last person posted to do your reply. If you don't post in the given time, the other person may do an additional move, where they can connect as if, in character the other person did not do anything to block or counter it.

6) Generally the fight will be determined by whoever won, but if after a month, it still hasn't finished the fight will be called, and a council of trusted advisers will go over the fight and determine the winner through their use of clever role-playing, good prose, Interesting character bits, etc...

These are the general rules for this kind of thing, they're mutable of course, depending on a bunch of stuff.

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)
Teto and Knuckle like this

Posted

memememe :D

Posted

"meme meme"

How would somebody win or lose in this scenario? It sounds like it would be a "no but then I don't die and I look you in the eye and a gun shoots out of my eyeball because my eyeball was secretly a gun the whole time and your head explodes" "no but that was just a clone the real me is right behind you and I decapitate you with my chaos katana blade" etc

Posted

There are rules and regulations. I guess I'll go ahead and write them, if anyone has ever done this kind of thing before these are pretty regular. Gonna add them on to the end of the first post

Okay, there we go

Posted

One question. Does it matter how ridiculous our original characters are?

Posted

"meme meme"

How would somebody win or lose in this scenario? It sounds like it would be a "no but then I don't die and I look you in the eye and a gun shoots out of my eyeball because my eyeball was secretly a gun the whole time and your head explodes" "no but that was just a clone the real me is right behind you and I decapitate you with my chaos katana blade" etc

Generally the counterpoint to that is you're RPing with reasonable people, and if you do something that doesn't gel with the pre-established narrative they'll say so and you'll be asked to revise your entry or erase it.

I mean, the formula's never really failed me when I work with people that are good at making interesting characters.

Posted

One question. Does it matter how ridiculous our original characters are?

How ridiculous we talking here. I mean, I have a pretty high threshold for the ridiculous, I think as long as it falls within the power level parameters we're fine.

Posted

Name: Martha 

Alias: The Red Savage

Powers: Super Strength, Impenetrable Skin, Invulnerability to Magic, Uncanny Sex Appeal

Paraphernalia: Can open a rift in space and pull out any weapon from her bedroom in Hell. Weapons such as buster blades, war hammers, spiked ball 'n chain, etc. 

Appearance: Red skin, long, unkempt black hair, big horns, muscled and super fit, but not overly "masculine" looking, yellow eyes. Wears a black and grey one piece that shows off her thighs and arms. black sneakers and black gloves. Between 7 and 9 feet tall depending on how her power fluctuates (based on her mood, essentially)

Origins: Daughter of the current ruler of Hell, she was next in line to the throne. However, when a human witch summoned her to the Mortal Plain, she jumped at the chance to get out of her boring domain. She now travels the world looking for the ultimate fight. It's kinda her kink.

I dont know how to start these. Also, should I add more info?

Teto likes this

Posted

Okay let me put it this way: As long as they have pheasible, understandable, conceivable flaws, you know what? Nevermind, if I decide to I'll make up a character and you guys can decide if it should work or not.

Posted

Its probably fine

Posted

Nice. So what other rules and perameters did you have in mind for this? What's the setting?

Posted

Name: Martha 

Alias: The Red Savage

Powers: Super Strength, Impenetrable Skin, Invulnerability to Magic, Uncanny Sex Appeal

Paraphernalia: Can open a rift in space and pull out any weapon from her bedroom in Hell. Weapons such as buster blades, war hammers, spiked ball 'n chain, etc. 

Appearance: Red skin, long, unkempt black hair, big horns, muscled and super fit, but not overly "masculine" looking, yellow eyes. Wears a black and grey one piece that shows off her thighs and arms. black sneakers and black gloves. Between 7 and 9 feet tall depending on how her power fluctuates (based on her mood, essentially)

Origins: Daughter of the current ruler of Hell, she was next in line to the throne. However, when a human witch summoned her to the Mortal Plain, she jumped at the chance to get out of her boring domain. She now travels the world looking for the ultimate fight. It's kinda her kink.

I dont know how to start these. Also, should I add more info?

I think I'll make a separate thread for the characters. That's probably fine, once we reach a general consensus on power levels we can adjust up or down.

Nice. So what other rules and perameters did you have in mind for this? What's the setting?

Ah, well, the idea I had was that Combatants from around the multiverse have been plucked from their world to this one, a kind of Battle World Scenario. I'll be taking up an old character who will play host, judge, and possibly commentator.

Battle World, I'm aping this place almost entirely from Secret Wars, an old Marvel Event, has many different environmental zones, and each pair of fighters will be randomly selected and transported to that zone. A zone might favor one or the other fighter, but its all random.

This is all assuming we get enough people to participate of course. If we do, I would hope that perhaps we could have more Jolly Co-operation between the RP section and the rest of the site.

Any other questions?

Posted

Name: Hot Pie
Catchphrase: "I'll never give up on the gravy!"
Powers: Half decent baker, part-time coward
Appearance: Curly hair, fat and squishy
Origins: Baker's apprentice from King's Landing

In seriousness though I'll probably look into this. I'll just have to think of something creative. I'm probably going to decide any powers on JoJo/One Piece rules; something abstract and seemingly benign which can be used creatively to great effect (that way I can just note a power and any special or secret attacks are just down to my imagination, to make for interesting battles). Rather than just cutting someone in half with a sword (although that can be fun and creative too). It'll take a while to think of a power without just ripping something off though. I'll get back to you.

Posted

pheasible

pheosible

(feasible)

also I will not be participating, but I'd sho watch.

Posted

Name: Hot Pie
Catchphrase: "I'll never give up on the gravy!"
Powers: Half decent baker, part-time coward
Appearance: Curly hair, fat and squishy
Origins: Baker's apprentice from King's Landing

In seriousness though I'll probably look into this. I'll just have to think of something creative. I'm probably going to decide any powers on JoJo/One Piece rules; something abstract and seemingly benign which can be used creatively to great effect (that way I can just note a power and any special or secret attacks are just down to my imagination, to make for interesting battles). Rather than just cutting someone in half with a sword (although that can be fun and creative too). It'll take a while to think of a power without just ripping something off though. I'll get back to you.

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Superpower_Wiki

Me and some friends play a game with this site. You just go there, click random page 3 times and pick on of the powers. If you're looking for some strange, oblique power, this might be the place to start.

Teto likes this