Followers 0

A Tournament of Sorts...

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Lol, honestly, if there was a comedy fight that'd be golden

Teto and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

Ageed^

But i think i might drop out. This is taking way to long to set up, and nobody else seems very interested. My interest is diminishing the longer I wait.

Posted

Naw man I'm going to try and make a character. Keep mulling it over and try and make a character you can really connect with and you're interested in playing, rather than just a cool sounding person with generic background information. Maybe make someone a bit more down to earth who you want to play. Someone who you can sympathise with maybe. I dunno what type of character you would play.

Assuming you, like me, haven't done anything like this before, it's pretty natural that you might want to back out. We won't know what we're doing until we get into the battle and Necro helps us get in the right frame of mind. If anything, we might just arrange IRC meetups where only you, I, and Necro have posting power, and anybody else spectating in the chat has their voice muted. We can pick it up or drop it if need be, and post logs into the chat between sessions. I feel like IRC would be better for quick-fire and getting people interested in it, while having it as a forum game allows people to push it off and leave it 'til later, indefinitely.

To keep you interested why don't we have like, a basic match? Since we're not 13 year olds who have less self-conscious self-restraint than us (allowing themselves to throw themselves at things like this, without worrying as much about looking incompetent), it might be better if we start off with some basic fighting?

Like we can just choose some low-tier anime characters who we all know, instead of throwing ourselves in the deep end. Or even just Basic Marine #434 VERSUS Basic Pirate #255. Marine has better agility, pirate has more power, and that is the only difference.

I'll be a marine, and you be a pirate. Write up a bio, and I will too? Choose your fighting style and I'll choose mine. Remember those dudes that Luffy can kill 100 of in one punch? We're those guys. We're heavily limited physically, but we can still have fun with that.

The battle might not be particularly epic, but it doesn't need to be. It's better to start small with less elements to consider.

This is just equivalent to a DnD bar fight. Players roll to see if they succeed, and the DM plays the rest of the patrons in the fight. Except we're not rolling, and so there's no deciding element to whether something succeeds or not, which is why this whole thing seems difficult to organise.

Posted

yeah some kinda of defining factor such as dice rolling would really solidify the game for me. Like if we had so many points to put into basic stats that could augment our rolls and decide out comes, that'd be nice.

But yeah, I have a couple of characters I'd like to play as, but Omnita Fighter Blue is deff one of them. Hes a bit boring and basic, but thats why i wanna use him first. But even if you join, Teto, thisll still suck with just me and you + Necro judging. Not enough people.

Posted

I want to make a character too but to be honest you made your character OP as puppy. I was thinking something more like somebody who would just be capable of fighting somebody else one on one or something, but the power level got set for like "capable of destroying planets" and I mean damn.

Posted

Yeah, I'm not interested in that power level, but then maybe I might be at some point. I feel like I personally would benefit from a basic fight like the Marine v Pirate idea I put forward before. Just make one of each and play some fights to give us an idea of how this will all work. Simple characters that, while we can put some background into them, we're not so invested in them that we'll stubbornly hang onto them if the opponent out-roleplays us. Having basic characters limits the possibilities though, and I can't imagine there's much that's very imaginative you can do while fighting in a bar. Unless you're both pirates and so therefore you're reckless.

Anybody interested in that idea though? I'm thinking about a marine character right now. The battle taking place in a high street, and the incentive being that the pirate is a pirate, and it's the marine's job to arrest the pirate. There are anonymous bars and shops surrounding, and the pirate can do anything they like, while the marine is simply chasing them down. The pirate could run and throw obstructions, or stand his ground and fight, using the imagined environment around them. General high-street stuff in a small fishing village that gets by on what the villagers can make from the land and the sea.

Simple characters, simple premise, simple motives. Freedom v Justice. 

Posted

I mean, I'm playing to win, baby!

I choose that power level cause Necro made this game sound super anime so i made a super anime character. Like, I'm playing for stupid over the top fun, not for serious. For serious would be so puppying boring. I'll not play though, if it's really that big of a concern. 

I'm actually looking online now for online/forum/irc roleplaying systems that might be interesting but still simple.

Also, I dont understand, why you are set on a Marine v Pirate setting? LIke are we playing with One Piece characters or what...?

Simple characters, simple premise, simple motives. Freedom v Justice. 

I really liked Necro's original tournament idea better. Especially the "plucked out of various universes" part. But really, a tournament just sounds fun. Like we could make alliances between fights and stuff. If we had enough players.

Posted

Yeah, pretty much because I feel it's a decent idea for generic characters, and I've been into One Piece lately so I'm in that universe right now.

OP (overpowered, not one piece) characters just bother me a little because I feel like it'd just go on indefinitely, and when you have power that large it's hard to focus on your character's finer movements. It feels like it'd just be a case of grappling each other or throwing huge projectiles. While with less powerful characters fighting with swords and obstacles, you have more to roleplay and it's more interesting to imagine than throwing buildings and launching missiles. I feel like if I was fighting your character it's just amount to me throwing stuff at you and you throwing stuff at me, and I'm not into that. I'd rather a more focused battle. Silliness would get tiring fast, especially when there's not a very solid means of deciding the effects. With lower powered characters, you can reason it out on their physical limitations.

I could try a super-duper-powered one, but I just can't see it working for me.

But maybe I'm thinking of it wrong. What sort of battle do you imagine for your character? I reckon you've probably thought about it, right? How your character would move in a battle and what they'd do. Any examples of that, so I can get an idea of what sort of battle we would have?

I really liked Necro's original tournament idea better. Especially the "plucked out of various universes" part. But really, a tournament just sounds fun. Like we could make alliances between fights and stuff. If we had enough players.

I'm not saying that's what we change it to. I just can't get an idea of what to expect for myself out of a battle in his tournament world, and so I can't think of a character, and can't get interested in the game. What I'm suggesting is just an introductory thing, more for my own sake, just to familiarize myself.

Or if you prefer I can make a comedy character and we can just launch into it against your overpowered character. I can't think of an overpowered character that I'd want to play, because being over powered seems like a trap. This whole kind of game just sounds difficult to manage to me, and that's why I'm finding it difficult to imagine myself playing it. But I want to, so I'm trying to find a way about it.

Posted

I based my characters attacks vaguely on Goku and his movement on Luffy (gear 2nd actually). I also left a pretty huge weakness in his description that could potentially just stop him in his tracks (though I do have a counter measure lol).

But maybe youre right. Teto, you seem to be on my level of thinking so i take your word into high consideration. I actually have a shit ton of ideas for this game, but it's Necro's game, not mine. So I made a character based on what he's presented us with.

But yeah, thats why im saying we should have a real concrete system in placed to decide who wins and its not just Necro saying its over when its over. Cause even with a LP character, i'll go on and on until i get bored or I win.

. This whole kind of game just sounds difficult to manage

bingo. I actually have no idea what is going on. Thats why i said i was losing interest. I'm just gonna drop out for now and maybe come back later.

Posted

Well, I have my character sorted. I'm going to use evasion tactics to try and take you down. We'll see how it pans out when we get in there. Necro says there's a way to make it work, and I'll just have faith in him for now.

Necro-san, I'm impatient...

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted (edited)

Ah. I was at a friends house today, hence my absense. Actually the Roleplays I did a long time ago were on IRC. It is much more fast paced. Both players are there writing until it ends.

And thats most understandable Phanta, The main reason this is so disorganized, is because I didn't want to put anything in stone until we had enough player, being about 8, but unfortunately, we have 4 people interested, and a 2 round tournament isn't so much fun. I've been in a couple forum tournaments before, one of them, Althanas, had a level system. They give you an example of a level 1 character, and then for the tournament you make a level 5 character.

The idea of a fun pirate MArine short battle/chase does sound like a fun way to get everyone in the spirit. Actually, maybe I've been coming to this from the wrong direction. I thought a fun way to bring the forum together, roleplaying section and everything else, would be to do a tournament, but maybe thats too far ahead. After all, that can be pretty intimidating, and not everyone here has much, if any experience in the matter.

Perhaps we could keep these two threads here for now, until everyone is more comfortable writing with each other, and our styles gel. In the mean time, we'll do things like the Pirate V Marine thing, if Phanta is up for it, and I think... I think we need a good old quest thread.

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)