Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rupees 2.0

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Rupees are back after the old system no longer works with our version of IPB (forum software).

Unfortunately rupees needed to be reset as I was unable to retrieve them.

Forums that do not gain rupees: Forum Games, Wild West.

Forums that gain 5 rupees for topic start, 2 rupees for each reply, and 1 rupee to the topic poster for every reply.

All forums in the Hyrule.net Category.

All forums in the Hyrule Castle Town Library Category.

All forums in the Hyrule Field Category.

Forums that gain 5 rupees for topic start, 1 rupees for each reply, and 0 rupees to the topic poster for every reply.

All forums in the Hyrule Castle Town Category, EXCEPT Forum Games, Wild West which do not get rupees.

Posted

I thiiiiiiink its supposed to be the magic bar? I'm not really sure if it varies with post count. It's still a neat feature, though. Now I'm brainstorming what other classic features of the Zelda UI could be implemented into the forum avatar bar thing.

Posted

whats the EXP bar for?

It's the magic meter, it doesn't change or anything it's there for aesthetics.

Posted

That's a magic meter, yeah. From Ocarina of Time, specifically, and modified a little by Tappy. The hearts are from Minish Cap, and the Rupee is a sprite I made. I posted the first thread in the Staff Discussion forum in like forever over these things.

But yeah, Tappy and I were talking about how to make the profile part more HUD-like, and this way turned out pretty attractive. I was going to suggest we actually have a magic meter EXP bar, but that sounded impossible. I still think his version worked out great. I really like this. It's really attractive, and I haven't seen anything like it on other forums.

Tappy's working on trying to revive the shop, and making it so we can exchange Rupees. I think it's really cool how the Rupees you get are really noticeable due to the HUD. Like, I post, I get a Rupee or two. It's weirdly satisfying. I think since they're so prominent now, perhaps the Shop would become more widespread in use.

Posted

I dont like the magic meter if it doesnt do anything. It might be cooler if it filled up slowly based on post count, and it'd show you how long before you got a new title. And like, put in new titles too haha. I guess that'd just make it an EXP bar then though lol.

But yeah, the rupee sprite looks really nice. You should consider doing custom Hearts too cause they are okay but not that great with the rest of the site imo.

Posted

New titles might be a nice addition, and one that I doubt comes with much work beyond brainstorming. As for the rupees, what about some form of wallet? Just something to add to the HUD to make it that much more customizable. You could somehow get bigger and better ones. Or by having a certain number of "likes" overall, or something. They could either be entirely aesthetic or they could actually put a cap on how many rupees you can get, so you couldn't get enough rupees to buy a master sword or hylian shield unless you had a wallet big enough to hold that many rupees, which you could only get by being a well liked member. I'm just brainstorming mechanics here.

Posted

I put in a ton of new titles. I started making them the original LoZ-themed but then I realized I was working my way towards "Hero of Time" at like 20,000 posts, so I needed to pad it more, so I put a bunch of OoT themed at the end. Even though the original LoZ would probably be the best for representing the series as a whole, since no one game represents the whole series, Ocarina of Time, for better or worse, is the most iconic one.

Hero of Time now caps out at 10,000 posts. I don't remember which post count you're allowed to change your title from. I briefly considered doing away with custom titles until you'd "beaten the game" after "defeating" the Ganon title, earning you the Hero of Time title, so you can "start a new file" with your own title name. But 10,000 posts would be grueling for such a small perk. Who knows, though? I think a fan community might be okay with that. Custom titles starting so low is, I think, a rarity. I would compare it to say, Serebiiforums. They don't even allow you custom avatars--only the mods. But it has a huge variety of Pokemon-related avatars, all from official art.

I was thinking we could make the forum its own game, but IPBoards are surprisingly limited. I thought like, how cool would it be if you couldn't get past the Queen Gohma title unless you'd bought the Slingshot from the shop, and getting the title got you the Kokiri's Emerald? That would be rad. Sadly, it looks like we can't quite do that.

But oh man pheo, wallet sizes would actually be pretty cool.

Posted

Yeah, I'm just thinking of different things that could go in the HUD. Right now it looks like it all relies on just raw post count. Which isn't a bad thing, because it's not like anybody wants to clutter that thing up. But there are still different things that happen on forums that we could acknowledge. "liked posts" is really the only thing I can think of though. Making the forum it's own game is a great idea too, why is that not doable?

Also, I thought about making a thread about this but I might as well just mention it now: There's no way to unlike a post after you've liked a post and left the thread. If you click "like" and stay in the thread it gives you the option to unlike that post, but if you leave and come back you have permanently shown your support for that post. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way or not, but I feel like that wasn't always the case.

Michael likes this

Posted

I'm honestly not an authority on this, but according to Tappy, there really isn't a way to connect shop information to forum information and vise versa. He can't even cap the amount of Rupees we get. I really wish we could make the forum its own game though, lol. If I were a new member looking for a new Zelda forum, this place would blow my mind.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0