Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Farewell (and good riddance?) to status updates: Your thoughts

22 posts in this topic

Posted

i dont think they take away from one another, really. Hits are hits. A community is a community, no matter how they choose to interact with each other.

Posted

It does though, Status updates bring in 0 traffic because they are constantly changing and are not "saved" like a thread or blog is, so it really does take away from the forum.

Posted

Without reading the brunt of this discussion, I'll say that I think the removal of the statuses was a good idea. If only because it will relegate more discussion to the forums themselves, and frankly, of all the forums I've ever browsed, barely any have had status updates. We don't lose much by removing them.

Sayubie and Michael like this

Posted

(We should use all our artists for slave labor and have a rupee commission)

Posted

Statuses weren't being used for their more limited purpose, that is, just a short sentence similar to a twitter post mentioning something, with little to no replies. Instead we'd just hold entire discussions on there. I think statuses could be a good thing still if it wasn't possible to respond to them, only to maybe like them like we can like posts currently. That'd be more in keeping with what I imagine their original purpose was.

I think we're better off without it as it was. And it shouldn't be regarded as removing functionality or downgrading, but more as "We tried this out, it didn't make the site any better and indeed made it probably worse in several ways, let's remove it and try other stuff."

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Just now, I wanted to trade for a specific Pokemon. I instinctually tried to make a status. When they weren't there, I was like oh right, thread. So I made a thread. It actually felt good to. idk.

It also makes the forums more interesting. With statuses, it's like, you can see all the statuses made in the last week and if none of them have new numbers then you switch off and everything feels uninteresting. Now I have to go into the forums and actually look at all the topics that were made and stuff. It feels much more forumy. I really like it.