Movies

87 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm going to spend the next few days watching only movies to do with dogs. Starting with Angel Dog.

1406551852_1.jpg

Feeling good about my movie-watching prospects right now.

B2wra8ZIMAAd8Pn.png

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

that sounds like a horrible idea

T1g likes this

Posted

I haven't really kept up with my dog-based viewing after Angel Dog. I might watch White Dog sometime though, since it's a documentary about rehabilitating a racist dog, and that sounds almost interesting, though kind of obscure.

But I have watched 3 new movies lately.

First of all, Birdemic. If you've looked it up, you know what to expect, and you're not that shocked by the poor quality of the movie at all, so long as you go in having heard about its flaws. Long quiet scenes with sharp bird cries and the piercing sound of gunshots. The birds are all overlays. So many parts of it are drawn out far too long, not least the ending. The ending sees the eagles, and some doves that represent peace, flying away out to sea, and the overlays get smaller until they're quite small, and then they just sit in the sky as a static image as the characters watch them over the crashing waves, for maybe 5 minutes? The moral of the story is that the eagles hate people who use cars and guns, and when the main characters run out of fuel to escape with and ammo to kill eagles with, the eagles leave them be. You can guess it, but it's never explained, and the characters don't seem to learn that. But it's not surprising considering the poor quality of the movie overall.

But Foodfight!, however. That's a movie that people have heard about from the likes of JonTron, though I didn't myself. People who had heard about it were actually surprised that it was a whole lot worse than what they expected. Birdemic was technically poor everywhere, but it was a student movie so you could forgive it. But Foodfight is relentlessly bad. Thinly veiled sexual innuendos comprise most of the jokes, and ham-fisted food puns the rest. Example "Let's strawberry jam outta here!" and "Frankly my dear, I don't give a spam." Like, it doesn't prepare you for how unpleasant this movie is. Nevermind the animation quality, which seems like something of the quality of Final Fantasy IX. For a movie that took 10 years and 50 million dollars to make, it's just exceedingly bad in every way. With voices the like of Charlie Sheen and Hilary Duff, not really saving it in the least. Nevermind the cheap use of Nazi overtones for the villains. There are just so many things wrong with this movie. I'm still going to buy it on DVD for my collection though.

And lastly, a good movie, The Imitation Game. A good movie, not a lot to say on this one, because it was just good, and good things are harder to think of than complaints. It was about the people who broke the enigma code, and basically created the first computer. There was a moment in it where the characters were doing clever things and you just had to sit there and think "ah, this is the bit where they're clever". Which isn't really a flaw at all, but I just wanted to note it anyway. The movie lead you to make you understand that they'd made a breakthrough, while they unplug pieces of the machine and change it around, stuff like that. It didn't go into much detail though, so if you had some small understanding of how their computer works, you'd follow along fine, I imagine. Good movie.

Posted

Me, Saha, and Kaffles saw the Book of Life. It is a movie that Pixar wouldn't animate because it wasn't about the adventures of white people. It was a pretty good movie.

Also it made Sombreros cool again and for that it has my thanks

Sahaqiel and pheonix561 like this

Posted

This is such a good trailer. I'm reticent about watching the movie because I feel like it can't be as good as it looks

Posted (edited)

I don't know if you'd call this a true trailer, but it looks underwhelming. I think it's the narrator and the overly cartoonish stuff. I think Pixar has lost a lot of its prestige/quality. It's too early to say if this one will be a good one or another lackluster Pixar movie. Maybe I'll see it. It is for kids. But mehhhhhh.

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

just puppying make a "steampunk" alice in wonderland already Tim Burton you terrible person

he knows deep down that he wants to do it. It'll be deviantart: the movie

cf70dabe959823256cd8958ac3ccf9d7bfeea583

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHH

Knuckle likes this

Posted

I'll be honest I do not get you guys' hate for tim burton

Posted

Without going heavily into it all his movies are the same. Starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, there's always some dickhead going "things are not what they seem!" and everything's swirly and just a bit transgressive but charmingly so! and victorian england and halloween and teenage angsty bullshit and vampires. And he's not even good anymore, he's just a giant parody of himself nowadays.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

One day he saw the cabinet of doctor caligari and he's never been the same. 

Posted

There are lots of people who do that, Quentin Tarantino and Wes Anderson make their movies all look the same too but everyone loves them. Some directors just have a niche they follow, it's not all that rare, we just call out the ones who's niches we don't like without realizing how widespread the habit is.

Teto, Cascade and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

Yeah, directors have a lot of tells, in cinematography, themes, and character archetypes. I guess this can be annoying when it's something that reminds you of your edgy teenage phase, but it's easy to get wrapped up in that distaste and say lots of things which aren't necessarily fair.

Posted

One day he saw the cabinet of doctor caligari and he's never been the same. 

Posted

Yeah, its great.