Movies

87 posts in this topic

Posted

There are lots of people who do that, Quentin Tarantino and Wes Anderson make their movies all look the same too but everyone loves them. Some directors just have a niche they follow, it's not all that rare, we just call out the ones who's niches we don't like without realizing how widespread the habit is.

Cascade likes this

Posted

My favourite Tim Burton movie is Big Fish. It doesn't have the same brooding atmosphere which seems to get associated with him though. It's kind of Forrest Gump by way of Alice in Wonderland? I haven't seen many Tim Burton movies. Not even Alice, but I just assume it looks like it's advertisements.

Posted

See Big Fish is cool

Batman is cool. Beetlejuice was cool

pheonix561 likes this

Posted (edited)

Big Fish is good. You can watch it on Amazon for free if you have Amazon Prime: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Fish-Billy-Crudup/dp/B00190KZUU/, I actually never realized it was directed by Tim Burton until just now.

Don't forget about Sleepy Hollow, I liked it, though another Tim Burton film with Johnny Depp in it.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)
Vio Milanor likes this

Posted

hho thought Tim Burton directed Coraline? I thought it was general knowledge that it, as well as paranormal and box trolls were all the same people

Teto likes this

Posted

I think he did Paranorman, but he just produces all of those other ones

Posted

No he didn't. He wasn't involved in any part of the making of them. The only connection those three films have is that they're all 3D stop motion animated films produced by Laika the company.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted (edited)

Naw, but Frankenweenie is a recent one Time Burton did, which gets related to Paranorman and all that for being from around the same time with a similar theme. He also did 9, which I couldn't get into. Laika movies are just very influenced by Tim Burton, which surely we can't deny. And foreign movies like that Mary and Max one has a Burton vibe from what I've seen. I've not traced the influences.

Edited by Werewolf (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Frankenweenie first came out in the 1980s however was later redone whether or not they are exactly the same I'm not sure.

I thought 9 was ok, though it was hard to get into at first. I've seen it a couple of times since then but I don't really see it as a movie people would really go back to watch other than as a last resort.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)
Knuckle likes this

Posted

Oh yeah I loved 9, too bad it was a little on the short side, I feel like it could have had a few extra scenes.

Posted

Forget I said anything. I was hating. I watched Coonskin and didn't get it. But I'll research it a little so I can understand it in the context of the year it was made.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

9 was that movie that was really possible with some people i knew back in high school

Posted

Posted

I remember at some point last year, I noticed a movie called White God; a Hungarian movie about dogs who rebel against mankind. In reality, it was more like Oldboy by way of Homeward Bound. Early on I felt like it was going to end up being Grave of the Fireflies/Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but with dogs. Oldboy makes a pretty good comparison though.

It also took a lot of liberties with common sense, which ended up being unintentionally funny. It was hard to feel engaged with the sentimental ending considering that, but I still enjoyed it. I surprised myself with how quickly I sat up when the dogs started getting bloodthirsty. I was pretty into it. Dog revenge is my genre.

Posted

Rewatched Monsters University, and still hold that I prefer it over the original Monsters Inc., if only because I relate to it so much. It came out the summer after I dropped out of university, so it big time resonated when I watched it. Such a hopeful message.

Cascade likes this