Movies

87 posts in this topic

Posted

General movie chat. If you watched a movie and want to write a little about it afterwards, here's the place. Made more for small off-hand chatter than more heated debate over themes and representation in movies. If you want to discuss the social implications of film or anything like that, feel free to make another thread for it.

Yesterday I went and watched X-Men: Days of Future Past. Really good movie tbh. I haven't watched any of the previous X-Men related movies but I followed and enjoyed that one just fine. Perhaps I would follow character's actions better if I knew their history, like with Magneto and what he was all about, but I gathered it as I went along. I'd say I'd probably give it an 8/10 for being a really enjoyable film to watch, though it didn't leave me with many thoughts afterwards. I'm interested in the mutants as a symbol for 'the other', but otherwise philisophically it didn't leave much for me to chew on. Although I think the idea of showing people a better way to be through mercy is a good enough moral to think about.

The movie was also surprisingly well paced. For a 2 hour-long movie, I was pleasantly surprised that at no point during the movie I lost interest briefly enough to think "this is a long movie", like you often do with movies clocking 2 hours in length. Waited for post-credits too, and the friend I was with gave me context for that. He helped out with understanding one or two things with characters, like that military dude's relevance to Wolverine, and that Magneto was originally a villain; not just an unstable ally.

Last night I got Netflix, and looked through films to add to my list. Started with A Cat in Paris, which I think I had seen mentioned somewhere in some 1,000 note tumblr post passed around between art students who get enthusiastic about unique animation. It was a good movie. I'm not sure what the little girl's condition was but for the most part of the movie she was mute, maybe out of some sort of 'not speaking until I'm 5' thing you see sometimes, I can't remember.

It was a general kids movie, but it was nicely animated and entertaining. Bumbling idiot gangster enemies, lovable rogue hero. Her mother was a nicely layered character though I thought; warm and kind but often a bit short with her daughter, who may have had Asperger's actually, judging by her strange hobby. She's some sort of higher-up detective, and while you could scorn her for the less than warm way she talks to her daughter at some points, you can understand her mental state a little, and it's hard to hold it against her given the circumstances.

I'd give A Cat in Paris maybe a 7/10. It was a good watch, though not as fun as X-Men: DoFP, and also didn't leave me much to chew on afterwards. Like X-Men: DoFP, it was an entertaining story that I enjoyed watching, whether or not I took much away from it.

For the sake of it here's my Netflix list (*second viewing):

Documentaries:

Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State

The Bridge

Call me Kuchu (watching in stops and starts right now)

Trust Me (TED Talks series)

TV shows:

Battlestar Galactica

Black Mirror

Farscape

Fawlty Towers

Firefly

Grimm

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia 

The Killing

Life on Mars

Misfits

Modern Family

Pride and Prejudice

Sense & Sensibility

Wilfred

Films:

Amelie

Angela's Ashes

Captain America: The First Avenger

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs*

Doctor Who The Movie

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind*

Fargo

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Ghost World

Memoirs of a Geisha

The Naked Gun

O' Brother, Where Art Thou?

Of Mice and Men

The Muppets
The Princess and the Frog

Pulp Fiction*

Rango

Seven Psychopaths

The Shawshank Redemption*

Spaceballs

Village at the End of the World

Wayne's World

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Wings

CidaShipiniZH likes this

Posted

Magneto was originally a villain; not just an unstable ally.

thats actually something that I didnt think about til now. Magneto is traditionally THE X-Men villain. But after certain events in the comics, he's become somewhat of a hero and now an anti-hero. It's really interesting how, even though the movies are following a different time line, his character is still reflected in that regards. In the original X trilogy, he was straight up baddie, but now that the time line is being reworked with DoFP, he's slowly moving towards hero, though he still has a long way to go.

Posted

Isn't the villain of X-men just racism now? That seems kind of weak.

Or is it that Apocalypse dude, he's kind of ok.

Posted

Isn't the villain of X-men just racism now? That seems kind of weak.

Or is it that Apocalypse dude, he's kind of ok.

you obviously know absolutely nothing about X-Men.

Lets see, in the comics the "current" villains are S.H.I.E.L.D., Mystique and her little gang, The Future Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and all the shit thats going down in Uncanny Avengers (which is technically an Avengers team, but it's unique in that several X-Men were invited to join it) and this new Phoenix Society but im not sure what their up to really. and those are just from the titles im currently reading. Oh, also there is an unknown asshole puppying shit up in Uncanny X-Men who hasnt been revealed in full yet.

And depending on how you look at it, Cyclops and his faction of X-Men (as opposed to Wolverine's faction) can be considered villains. At the very least, they are terrorists. 

So yeah, either get on board with Marvel or stop talking like you know hahaha. But no seriously. Haha.

Posted

you obviously know absolutely nothing about X-Men...

...So yeah, either get on board with Marvel or stop talking like you know hahaha. But no seriously. Haha.

With this post, you are officially that guy.

Posted

Oh no totally. im Deff a Marvel Fanboy. Like puppy I love the X-Men soooooo much. No shame.

Although, with what I've heard about Marvel trying to puppy over the Fantastic Four movie so it does poorly and they get the rights back.... Kinda upset with that. It's not all cheery over here.

Teto likes this

Posted

Not to turn this into a comics talking thread, thought that seems somewhat inevitable given recent movies watched, Magneto flip flops all the time. If you ever feel like having a brain Aneurism go look up Xorn.

I think I may go over to the Marvel thread to discuss more, the X men are one of those things you could talk for a long time about

Legit though, as much as you liked Days of future past, you probably would have given it a 10 if you had seen any of the previous ones. Especially the bad ones, since it retcons them out of existence

Posted

Yeah, hearing from my friend about the X-Men movies' shaky history, I felt like this movie was just a kind of reboot; reshuffling the deck to write themselves out of a corner or something.

Posted

Rewatched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I feel that over the past couple years I've gotten a lot better at really understanding characters, and found this more enjoyable to watch this time than before, when maybe I wouldn't have thought as deeply about the personalities of the main characters. I recommend that movie. Really good idea and very unique story.

I'm now going to watch that movie 9, because for some reason the look of it always caught my attention, even if I'd never seen anything but it's movie poster. It just always looked interesting to me.

9-nine-poster-oww.jpg

General Tim Burton-produced-movie vibe about the poster, but it would always catch my eye whenever I saw the DVD cover or anything with this promotional image.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

9 made me very very sleepy. Didn't think it was very good at all. 

Im really excited for Lucy

Like super hyped for it

Posted

Lucy looks like the best battle arena movie ever.

Also 9 isn't that great so far, not very interesting as a concept. The neatest thing so far is that the weird sack robot people's eyes blink by the pupils just getting smaller. Although robots don't need to blink.

Lol yeah, giving up on that. Feels like a decent movie, but not getting into it.

@Lucy: Looks like a decent flick. Bit of a power fantasy, but movies are all about interesting lives we don't live, so what else is new. Not hyped for it, but seems like something I'd watch if I was going to watch it with people.

Posted

so Dawn of the Planet of the Apes came out today. Im so excited! I just watched a review and the person didnt care for the first movie but thought this sequel was fantastic. That pumps me up so much. And they also said the trailer doesnt give much of the actual movie away. Like, just the set up, really.

Posted

Update, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was, by far, the worse movie ive seen this year. So disappointing. 

This movie looks pretty good though. Both fun and thought provoking.

Posted

Really? I haven't seen it yet, but a bunch of my friends went and really liked it

Posted

You talking about "Apes?" I mean, if you paid any attention to y handful of Ape posts, you'd know how much i LOVE the series. and the first one of this new series, the James Franco one, was so puppying fantastic! But this new one.... man i was falling asleep. And then the great battle at the end was a night battle, which im totally done with night battles. I WANNA SEE THE CGI APES! NOT SHADOWS!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

anyways, yeah i didnt like it. My friend liked it but she never saw any of the previous ones. I told her we'd watch the James Franco one and shes excited. Maybe i just expected too much.