Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bar Fight!

18 posts in this topic

Posted

It's the height of summer in the trading settlement of Ratama at the heart of the field region of of Hyrule. The location is ideal for all sorts of people to come visiting from across the land, buying and selling their wares or their skills. A diverse place with a rich history.

Another day ends, the darkness bringing light to those who remain to enliven the streets with drunken song. It's warm and close, and tensions rise as merriment wears down common sense. Raised voices carry over the chatter and laughter, giving way to yelling as people sprawl onto the floor, waving and ducking. The source is soon lost in the chaos as tensions burst into violence, dragging everybody into the fray.

------

Putting this plan into action.

Decide between yourselves as you go or before you start whether your characters know each other prior to the fight, but otherwise you are all strangers, and I hope this fight will serve as a basis for your eventual association, if not just an introduction and playtest for the kind of game I'm thinking of running.

I'll serve as DM, and I'll play the part of all the NPCs. You will roleplay your character fighting with strangers in the bar, and I will tell you the result. For the moment there are no stats, and I'll see how well it works just me telling you what happens. I'll tweak it as we go.

Since you'll all be acting independently of one another, you can jump in as soon as I've confirmed your character, and we won't need to wait for a specific number of people to join.

I know my track record with writing things like this so I'll try and keep my involvement in the story-writing short and not too long-winded, or I'll grow tired and let it die. Hopefully I can keep active long enough to see the barfight to it's finish. I'll end it when I feel like we've all had sufficient fun.

You can have a certain level of involvement in what the NPCs say, if you feel it serves to help develop your character, but don't just tell me you killed them. I'm not 100% on how this will work, but maybe if you suggest in your post how you want the conflict to end, that might help me guide the scenario in the direction that is best in terms of your enjoyment. i.e. "I breathe deep and put my full strength behind one more punch, aiming right for the face.", to which I can assume you're wanting that to be a finishing blow, based on your narrative. Or you can straight-up tell me in parenthesis at the foot of the post.

Rule-wise I'll be lax for now. Do as common sense dictates until I say otherwise. I can't think what rules I want in place now, so we'll play it by ear.

If you want to discuss the the running of the game, or any future entries into the continuity set in place by this RP, go to Talk (RP).

------

Name:

Skills:

Appearance:

Background:

Why are you in Ratama?:

Posted

Name: Pate
Skills: Precision rock-spitting, swimming, hiding
Appearance: An average Octorok, a la the original Legend of Zelda
Background: A friendly Octorok that sometimes spits rocks on people by accident. Other times he does it intentionally though if he doesn't like somebody.

Why are you in Ratama?:Pate doesn't usually stop by here, but is on business attending a convention of Octorocks. Making connections and getting accidentally pelted by stones all day is harrowing work, so he came to a bar for a quick drink after work.
Teto likes this

Posted

Octorocks are hella ugly but I can deal with that.

Someone just stepped on you - you didn't see who. You dropped your specially designed drinking flask and it shattered on the floor.

Posted

Not wanting to cause a ruckus, Pate tried to reconcile with the offender, but accidentally spit a rock at him.

Teto and Sayubie like this

Posted

Taking a wild guess at their location you shoot a rock and it crashes into the lower jaw of a young thug-looking fellow. He raises his foot and brings it down toward your... head? Body?

Knuckle likes this

Posted

Name: Half Eye Jim

Skills: Is an ace bowler. Mining

Appearance: Half eye Jim looks like time has been consistently urinating on him for the last 20 years. Lines that have no place on his face are deeper than he likes. He is rather bulky though, working in the cheese mines of Ulthar

Background: Half Eye Jim, named as such because one of his eyes is so milky he can hardly see out of it, and the other is missing entirely, spent half his life slaving away at the cheese mines of Ulthar, located in the jungle isles of Bennigari. He lost much of his vision in an unfortunate incident wherein he mined an unstable goudah vein. It turned out to be laced with Limburger. After being fired from his job for grating some of the company cheese on a hot dog, he wandered, until he came to...

Why are you in Ratama?: Hearing that Ratama has some of the best bowling leagues in the five great nations, and knowing it was his only servicable skill, he won a league championship, the prize money of which, he pisses away on strong drink....

Teto likes this

Posted

Someone punches you in the face.

Posted

Taking a wild guess at their location you shoot a rock and it crashes into the lower jaw of a young thug-looking fellow. He raises his foot and brings it down toward your... head? Body?

The foot collides with Pate's head, but his body is so squishy that the blow is cushioned. Pretending to be hurt and defeated, Pate hopes the guy will turn away and maybe he can shoot him in the back of the head to incapacitate him if the man decides to walk away.

Posted

Floored, Jim whipped his hands around looking for a weapon. It settled on his barstool. He got up and squinted carefully scanning the bar. There was short squat blur, another blur next to it, and two blurs where he believed the person who punched him had been

"You bloody bastard, i'll jam this down your everlovin' throat!"

Jim lunged towards one of the blurs, but some nefarious agent stuck their foot otu at the perfect time, and Jim went flying. He tossed the stool as he fell, and it went soaring through the bar. He wasn't entirely sure where it went, but it was most certainly not its intended target

Posted

Knuckle:

The man snarls in satisfaction before turning around quickly toward the other brawling patrons, meeting a soaring barstool mid-turn. Stunned yet standing, he blinks vaguely before falling in a heap on the bar floor. The event passes unnoticed by the other men in the room. As inconsequential as a single raindrop to a storm.

The drunk brawlers around and above you, with their lowered awareness, don't seem to take note of your being there. The fight continues, and you somewhere toward the center of the crowd.

Necropolis:

The stool grazes the head of a man in front of you. In his drunken stupor, he thinks you were aiming at him. In fact, two others had the same thought. They bear down on you, crowding your vision.

Posted

Realizing too late his terrible mistake, Jim takes a few tentative steps back with his hands out in front of him.

"Now, now listen fellows, this is all just a terrible misunderstanding..."

Jim tries a snaggletoothed smile, but sees, or rather guess's, these men seemed like rather intimidating blurs, that his plea fell on deaf ears. "Say...why don't I buy you all a drink, just to, uhhh settle this little issue..."

Suddenly Jim looks towards the entrance and yells at the top of his lungs, "WHAT IN THE HELL IS THAT!"

This was an old gambit, but one that had gotten him out of several nasty scrapes in the past. He hoped it might get him out of this one. Before looking to see if it did, he bolted in the opposite direction

Posted

Name:Lemy

Skills: Healing weary travelers and sitting in bottles. Sometimes good at giving directions but a little slow on the warnings

Appearance: A fairy... with a blue glow. Sort of generic really. (Lez go with wind waker)

Background:

Just your average fairy that heals travelers that happen upon her. She sometimes got caught in bottles but she'd be let go pretty quickly usually. Likes to stay at Fairy Fountains but will sometimes get lost in the grass. It's scary in the grass because it starts to look all the same in the grass. Never mind flying up and out of the grass, that's just as dangerous. It's a good thing there're people what like to cut grass every now and then.

Why are you in Ratama?:

She just got let go from a bottle after 3 months of captivity servitude traveling and really just wants to kick back and relax. Healing travelers isn't hard work but bottle sitting sure is a big hassle. Sitting in a small space, getting jostled around a bunch, not seeing the sun for days... it gets to a fairy after a while, y'know?

Posted

Necropolis:

Two of the men break focus to follow Jim's line of vision, and to their horror they're drawn to the sorry-looking octorock in the middle of the bar.

Still fixed on Jim, the remaining first man makes pursuit, keeping slow pace with Jim as he weaves through the crowd.

Knuckle:

Old prejudices rise. The two men advance toward you with ill intent.

Rawber:

Drawn to the familiar sound of pain which accompanies impending freedom, you've found yourself in the bar. You realise your mistake in coming here as one of the more sobered patrons sees you for what you are, and proceeds to take a swing at you with their empty glass, thus capturing you between the glass and the table below you.

((Also if you were a saint you'd be St. Rawberry and that's a neat name to have))

Posted

Pate jumps in the head of the tallest man and latches on with his suction cupped legs while spitting rocks all over the place.

Posted

Lemy... Lemy didn't know what to do or how to react. A few hours of sweet, fresh air and the light of the sun and suddenly... Suddenly she's surrounded by glass. Again. Too much time in captivity does things to the mind of a fairy. As such, rather than immediately giving promises of healing, she let loose a tirade against her captor, all the while banging and slamming against the glass. Between the insults and the threats to bite her captors fingers, she screamed at the other patrons and promised to heal them for her freedom. Just not this guy with the glass.