The Scoundrels of Virtue

364 posts in this topic

Posted

Rules: Be mindful of others, don't make joke characters or be disruptive, and of course remember to put out of character commentary in ((double parentheses)).

Also, be sure to fill out a profile with your character’s name, gender, age, species, appearance, and a short character description in your first post!

Setting: After the Hero of Twilight defeated Ganondorf, the land of Hyrule began its most strenuous reconstruction ever recorded. Princess Zelda, burdened with massive debt from the rebuilding of Hyrule Castle, was forced to give certain political powers to wealthy and influential Hylians in exchange for their assistance in reforming the Castle Town. The castle's knights, already a laughing stock of the entire kingdom, devolved further into a token force of untrained men and women only fit for ceremonial display. The people’s only hope, Link, had vanished shortly after his quest was over, never to be heard from again.

With no hero in sight, the royal family held in check by the aristocrats, and the knights of Hyrule as inept as ever, Telma's underground resistance experienced a boom in recruitment. Flooded with new members, the original resistance grows into a volunteer force independent of any authority in Hyrule.

Bolstered with resources, Telma's collection of heroes became the only effective force of good in Hyrule. The public views them as foolish, and now mockingly calls them “Scoundrels of Virtue,” but these brave men and women travel all over Hyrule to wipe out the servants of darkness. Even so, will a single force be enough to counter the myriad threats ready to crush the endangered kingdom?

Name: Endel

Species: Hylian

Appearance: About as tall as your average Hylain, but likes to crouch so often he seems short. Skin is vaguely tanner than most Hylians but still on the white side, brown eyes with a rather severe gaze, blonde unkempt hair. His entire appearance is fairly weather-worn, his clothes are mostly old, thick leather civilian clothes with reinforcement to withstand weapons.

Character Description: Officially a scout and espionage agent for the Scoundrels of Virtue, Endel primarily thieves for a living. He is eager to justify his crimes against the Hylian nobility as punishment for their incompetence, but his actions are viewed as morally dubious by others. He has a kind heart, but vehemently opposes fate and divine influence.

The shade of Hyrule Castle Town's broken architecture was a favorite of children as an improvised playground and place to get out of the sun. Endel wasn't sure if his shared affinity for the spot was a sign of his immaturity or just a coincidence, but nonetheless it was a favorite lookout point for fat wallets. As if to prove this point, a large cart lumbered into view sporting a rather sleepy looking driver, her coinpurse nearly tipping on the edge of the horse-drawn cart's seat.

It was an opportunity Endel could not refuse. The woman looked like a relatively well-off citizen, so what was the harm? He'd just mosey by, swipe the goods, and duck back into the nearest safe zone. Planned break-ins were more interesting in his opinion, but these quick grab-and-dashes were part of supplying The Scoundrels of Virtue with money as well.

Endel was ready to make the leap out of the shadows when a feeling of being watched stopped him dead. How did he manage to be seen already? He turned to face his unwanted observer with a tinge of guilt as the prized cart rolled out of view.

Posted

((Oh my god I'm joining this so fast but I have to come with a character... It might be a little while but I am definitely in!))

Posted

((I thought I might throw in on this one, see if I can't pull back the old roleplaying reflexes. If this is too weird, or it doesn't fit tonally with what you're trying to set up, feel free to ignore it and go on about))

Name: Skallin

Species: Discarded suit of Darknut armor, re-animated through mysterious means

Appearance: Stripped down of its shield and any of the bits that looked expensive enough to sell, Skallin is a living suit of Darknut armor. It has non of its weapons or trappings, save for its basic human form and shape

Character Description: Skallin is a suit of abandoned Darknut armor. Whatever force that powered it seemingly fled when Ganondorf was defeated once more. But, rather than losing substance and exploding, it simply fell to its constituent pieces. It was found near a cave called Skallin and most of its pieces were sold, melted down and destroyed. As happenstance would have it the remainder, being the basic chainmail portion of the suit, was procured for display in the Hyrule Castle Branch, to replace the Magic Armor purchased by the Hero of Twilight. Painted on the new glass case containing it was Skallin Armor. Skallin lies dormant, but somewhere within it stirs an intelligence, born of a mysterious power. Perhaps it had something to do with the cave? Or perhaps it was to do with the strange man who delivered it to the castle. Regardless, for now Skallin remains, unmoving, unseeing. It may, given come back into control of itself, but only time may tell.

Posted

((I like it Necro! I think Skallin will make an excellent addition to this RP, definitely keep him. Also, looking forward to your character Elwayguy :D ))

Posted

((Cool. Not having played that many Zelda games, I was worried it might contradict something. Plus I left the origin kinda vague to fit in with whatever direction this goes in. Looking forward to playing!))

Knuckle likes this

Posted

((Hey! I'd really love to join in on the fun here, this looks like a really exciting RP!))

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Name: Lorcan

Appearance: Appears boyish despite his age, being shorter, wiry and agile rather than muscular and brawny. His skin is notably pale in comparison to other Hylians. He has curly, dark brown hair and bright blue eyes. Lorcan chooses to wear lighter armour as opposed to heavy chainmail and the like, to facilitate his agility.

Character Description: Lorcan is a guard for the Scoundrels Of Virtue who is primarily in charge of looking after the weapons store of the group. He loves his job but his mind tends to wander a little when he's bored. Lorcan has selective mutism and will only speak to those he deems it absolutely necessary to. However he remains largely mute and as a result, receives a lot of teasing from older guards and members of the group. 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lorcan straightened himself, shaking his head to keep himself awake. With no other guards posted at the weapons store today -in fact, there rarely were any but himself stationed here- it was difficult not to slouch and look around for something else to focus on.

And find it he did. A quick flash of silver dashing past, almost unnoticeable. But Lorcan saw it, and he darted from his spot without a second to lose, chasing the intruder down the corridors of the hold.

The thief, masked and short in stature but light on their feet, was just a few feet away, and Lorcan had to marvel at how well-planned their route was - they never took a wrong turn, never had to check twice to make sure they were headed in the right direction. 

It was when they came to one of the exits, daylight filtering in, that Lorcan caught up, reaching out to grab the thief with one hand and reaching for his sword with another. 

The thief didn't stop at the door, choosing to throw themselves at the door in the hopes of breaking through. However, their weight wasn't enough and they slammed into the door roughly, grunting in pain.

They turned abruptly, the stolen sword drawn and ready to use, but it was too late. Lorcan's sword was an inch away from their throat, their arm pinned to the door by Lorcan's other hand.

Posted (edited)

((This looks really good Knuckle! I've gotta get in on this!))

Name: Torianna

Appearance: She's short and tan, with bright green eyes and a scattering of freckles across her nose and cheeks. Her hair is dark brown and falls to just below her shoulders. She wears a green shirt, black trousers, brown boots and a brown leather jacket, and she carries several knives, concealed. She wears a golden bird feather on a string around her neck. Despite her short size, she's quick on her feet and deceptively strong.

Character Description: Torianna works among a network of criminals that operate throughout Hyrule. Her father is one of the authoritative members, and as a result of being raised by criminals, she only really sees people for their utility to her and doesn't believe in the concept of friendship. She's loud mouthed and short tempered, but she's got an excitable personality, is quick with a comeback, and finds a genuine thrill in thieving.

-----

Well this certainly didn't go to plan.

The look on the guards face was fierce as he pressed Torianna back against the door. She swallowed hard, trying to put some distance between herself and his blade. He looked young, but wore a deadly serious expression. His hands were rough as he reached up and quickly pulled the mask from her face, discarding it thoughtlessly on the floor. His blue eyes narrowed as he studied her appearance, likely trying to figure out if he recognised her.

Torianna swallowed hard. "Perhaps we could strike a deal...?"

He grabbed her by the shoulder then, spinning her around and pulling her arms behind her back. She groaned in frustration as her brand new sword clattered to the ground. Within a matter of seconds, she found herself being marched away from the weapons store and down a long narrow corridor.

"A simple no would have sufficied..." she muttered. He didn't reply, prodding his sword between her shoulder blades. She glanced around the corridor as they walked, silently sussing out an escape route. At some point, his guard would drop and she needed a quick get away - weapons or no weapons.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

There wasn't anyone there.

Behind Endel lay the remains of a building destroyed in the Twilight Crisis, and behind that was the old antiques shop that had temporarily been a Malo Mart. Those stores had been a glimmer of hope during the time of the crisis, but when the need for their wares decreased and the Hylian knights no longer bought their wares, the store was forced to close. It was now a stuffy-looking shop with overpriced wares once again, and so didn't attract many visitors.

Endel couldn't see a soul in the store where he felt he was being watched from (he'd always had a good intuition for knowing the source of onlookers), but the store was home to one thing that caught his eye. In the front display was a glimmering suit of chainmail. Forget the purse or even his mysterious observer, tonight he was stealing that armor.

It was only a short walk back to headquarters, which lay under the city streets. Endel took a quick turn down an alley, leapt up to an open window in an abandoned doctor's office, pulled back the carpet inside concealing the trapdoor, and disappeared from the world above. The Scoundrels of Virtue had relocated here, to the tunnels of the castle underworks, shortly after one too many inspections at Telma's Bar. It was just above the actual sewers and didn't stink, but it could get cold and drafty in here, to say nothing of the rats and skulltulas. By chance he came upon Lorcan guiding a thief down the corridor and towards the exit. "Oh, another break-in?" Endel questioned with interest. His friend declined to speak this time. "Oh, well if you're not sure, I'll take care of it from here. Maybe I can question her properly on account of being able to speak." He teased, and Lorcan made a sour look in reply before walking back to his post.

"You thought I needed help from some garbage thief huh?" were the first words out of the girl's mouth when they left the trapdoor. Not impressed by her foul attitude, Endel shot back, "That guard was going to cut off your arm and leave you here for a day or two, so I'd say you needed all the help you could get!" The girl went quiet after that but continued to simmer. "... Say, you're one of those contractors in the network aren't you?" He asked with a softer expression, and the girl introduced herself as "Torianna, one of the best in the business."

"Great, I need help breaking into a store tonight." He replied with disinterest at her ego. "I just want the suit of armor inside, everything else is yours if you help me."

Posted (edited)

Name: Cheval

Appearance: He's taller than the average Hylian, and thinner, but not bony. He has long dirty blonde hair that falls to his shoulders, often causing him to be mistaken for a girl. He has hazel eyes and slightly tan skin. He wears a gray shirt and brown pants, but wears sturdy black boots and a black overcoat with lockpicks and an assortment of small weapons concealed inside. He can put up a decent fight if he must, but he uses his wit to win over others.

Character Description: He is a part of the Scoundrels of Virtue, only slightly higher in status that the theives, as a master lockpick. He is often the one to plan break-ins, and he also does espionage within the Castle (using a female persona). He catches flak for it from the others, but he ignores most of the criticism that comes his way. As a spy, he has learned never to trust anyone, even your 'friends', so he has few true friends. He tries to maintain a stoic appearance, but is actually a bit sensitive, especially because he does not know where his mother and father are, or who they were, as they disappeared when he was small.

---

As the Scoundrels of Virtue had grown bigger, it had grown from a theft ring into a logistics nightmare. Cheval had more break-ins to plan than ever, and finding places was getting harder. On the bright side, however, he had learned a lot about the movements of the Knights against the Scoundrels of Virtue, so he could safely maneuver around them. He had a small offshoot of the tunnels as his office, and Lorcan stepped inside and stood at rigid attention.

"What is it? Can't you see I have enough to do?" Cheval asked impatiently.

"I just wanted to report that I caught an intruder today; a thief who wanted to steal our supplies," Lorcan replied

"Good." Cheval said.

"She's been taken by Endel to be interrogated," Lorcan said. 

"That's fine. Anything else?" Cheval said, still impatient as ever.

"Nothing else." Lorcan said.

"Then return to your post," Chavel said, settling back into his chair. He looked over his city map again, and one store caught his eye. He had seen a suit of chainmail, and he decided to save that for himself. It would be a one-man, easy in-and-out job, and he would get that armor without a hitch.

Edited by ElwayGuy7 (see edit history)

Posted

Torianna watched the boy for a few moments. His offer did sound tempting to her... having failed her earlier attempt to find new weaponary, the prospect of breaking into a store was intriguing to say the last. She could, of course, do it alone. But the boy was offering to get her out of this troublesome situation.

She stopped, tilting her head a little. "I didn't catch your name," she said.

"Endel," he replied with a slight nod. "So are you in or not?"

Torianna paused for a moment, but it was just for show. The prospect of all that loot was all the persuasion she needed. "Okay," she said. "Which store is this exactly?"

"The Antiques Place, where Malo Mart used to be," he replied.

She grinned. It was a good shop, plenty of weaponary and gold jewellery too. "You got yourself a deal."

They shared a sharp, business-like handshake before Torianna made for the open window.

"Meet once darkness has fallen round the corner from the shop," Endel called after her as she landed on the other side. She didn't turn back, just waved over her shoulder as she walked away.

Posted

((Hey, sorry, just a little note for future reference: Lorcan's selective mutism isn't just a case of avoiding talking where possible, it's a psychological inability to talk unless there's extrenuating circumstances. If that explanation makes sense?))

Lorcan watched Cheval leave, leaning back against his wall and humming quietly to himself for a while, looking about him in bemusement. Keeping himself occupied was always more than a little difficult. He tried tapping his feet, humming half-heartedly, anything at all.

His thoughts soon turned to the thief girl he'd caught on the job earlier. Endel was supposed to be interrogating her, but it had been some time now and no word had gotten back to Lorcan on the situation.

With a hmph, he signalled another guard to take his place and made his way to where captives were held for questioning, expecting to find Endel with this newcomer.

But there was nothing to be found at all. All of the small rooms were empty, not a sound to be heard. Had she escaped somehow? Surely Endel was more wary than this! 

Irritated beyond belief, Lorcan felt his hand going to his sword as he turned away, storming down the corridor with a fierce frown in place.

Posted

It was around dusk before the shade of their target was adequate for the job. Endel ducked into the least-populated street adjacent to the former Malo Mart before spotting Torianna. His accomplice made straight for the back door just as the last passerby rounded the corner; was her timing intentional or just lucky? These network thieves can at least make themselves look skilled, he thought to himself as he followed suit.

Endel once again felt like he was being watched as the pair silently weaved through the room. It felt like there were two others in the room, one of them standing near the suit of mail, and the other...

There was suddenly a light thump from the fireplace, and Cheval emerged.

Torianna didn't even flinch, continuing her ransacking of the place at a faster pace before making for the door. "Wait!" Cheval called out, and the girl stopped. "I've been watching you both from the roof you know. Not bad work, but I could have been in here an hour ago if watching you slink about wasn't so amusing." Endel's superior had clearly thought to pick open the grating the covered the chimney and swoop in, a faster tactic for certain that made him a bit envious. Cheval was always outdoing him...

"Well, your amusement cost you the prize," Endel replied smoothly as he returned to work, "I'm taking the armor right now." It was easy enough to dismantle the glass case, even with his boss goading him and the other thief warning them to shut up before the bolted to go turn them in herself. "If you don't want to be here, then leave." He turned at last to tell off Torianna, but as soon as he'd turned around both of his accomplices froze in panic. Behind him the feeling of being watched was stronger than ever, and now there was a sound of metal grinding on metal behind him. Leaping forward before turning about, Endel and the group beheld something nobody in the room had prepared for.

The armor was standing on its own, completely alive, and began to speak.

Posted

The suit of Armor took a step forward, and though it had not done so intentionally, this move was somehow filled with menace, a kind of muscle memory if you will from the days when this armor was filled with a presence of evil. It turned its head back slightly to look at the case it had come out of.

"Skallin. Skallin Armor. I am armor and my name is....Skallin?"

The whole statement was in a most inquisitive form, he seemed to be asking all of this as a question, though to whom he was speaking was a mystery. His head turned towards the 3 intrepid, but terrified thieves. There was a long pause. It was as if centuries passed in the waiting seconds. "Excuse me Gentlemen, would you help me? I'm having a bit of an existential crisis at the moment and I'm having trouble verbalizing in quite the way I'd want."

And then, all at once the armor collapsed in on itself. Though it still burned with life, the extreme onslaught of sensations and thought proved too much for Skallin's first outing.

Flowing through his minds eye were images, thousands of images, many he did not recognize, dark sorcerers, heroic warriors, and simple peasants, all jumbled into his thoughts. The last before the sweet embrace of unconsciousness was a single eye, gleaming in the darkness. He did not know what it was, but it was terrible, and it...saw him.

Posted

After getting over the initial shock, Endel clambered to pick up the collapsed suit of armor that had just, of all things, begun talking about some existential crisis. "Must've been a Darknut... probably evil... there's no other way..." Cheval was muttering to himself while Torianna looked dumbstruck. The Thieves of Virtue were used to these sorts of things, where monsters were found within the city walls. It was usually up to the group's guards and soldiers to deal with them, but Endel had seen darknuts before on his missions outside the castle walls with the other agents. Weren't these armors supposed to be enchanted by a warlock or something?

Cheval wanted to kill the thing on the spot, but Endel persuaded him. "If we take him in, we can find out where his master is and then kill it." He reasoned, with the implication that the magician responsible for this monster probably had plenty of goods to loot.

"Alright, but when we get sent on a suicide mission to the far end of the desert, remember I told you so."

Posted (edited)

"Hey, not so fast!" Torianna said, stepping up to block the doorway that the two boys were headed towards. Her bag of loot was still slung over her shoulder, her hands searching for the silver knife concealed in her jacket pocket. She pulled it out. She had no intention of using it, but it served as a nice warning.

"Now what's your problem?" The blond boy spat.

She glanced at the armour in Endel's hands. It was pecuiliar... and she wanted to know what was going on.

"A suit of armour just came to life and you don't think I'm even a little curious as to what's happening?"

The blond one smirked. "Sometimes I forget that you don't see this kind of stuff in the network."

Torianna scowled at that. "Look, I couldn't give a short flying cuckoo what goes on in your precious organisation. But that armour is something else and I've gotta find out whats going on!"

Endel glared at that. "I promised you anything you wanted but the armour was mine!"

"I'm not trying to steal it from you." Torianna replied curtly. "I just wanna know what's happening. Look, I need to be back at base by midday tomorrow so I'll be out of your hair in the morning!"

Endel frownes. "Why should we trust you?"

Torianna smirked at that. "Because I could so easily give away your base location to the Hyrule Soldiers. They're innefectual layabouts, but I'm sure they could handle a couple of scoundrels."

The blond one laughed then. "Relax Endel. Whats the worst she could do? Afterall, she's only a little girl, the two of us could take her easy."

Torianna shot him a poisenous glare for that little comment, but she didn't snap back as they made their way back out into the night. She needed to know what was going on. Her dad would be over the moon if she came back with news of enchanted armour. If that meant putting up with a couple of snide comments, then so be it.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)