The Scoundrels of Virtue

364 posts in this topic

Posted

Maia tried to comprehend what just had happened. She never knew that she was able to talk to such an amazing creature as the Great Fairy since she never knew she was a real Maiden. Watching the others, she sighed. The shaking had stopped, since they looked like they truly didn't want to harm her. She was so worried, and the Princess probably too. Maia had always been the only one that she could fully trust and be certain of that she would never leave. 

She had decided that she most definitely wouldn't tell them that she was actually Princess Zelda's closest maid. For all they knew, she was just a maid that cleaned the throne room, or one that worked in the kitchen. She figured that it would be safer so. 

After a short while, Maia finally dared to speak up. "Will you bring me back to the castle?" she asked, her voice still shaking slightly. "Please?" she added.

"When we're sure that you won't be needed anymore, we will," a guy answered. It was a bit annoying that she didn't knew any of their names, but she figured that it wouldn't be so smart to ask. They had kidnapped her after all. 

She sighed softly. She missed the castle already. She wasn't sure if the Princess missed her as a friend, but as her maid, she certainly did. 

Posted

"Can't say I feel great about keeping that Maia girl for too long." Endel confided in Cheval. The other Thief only shrugged. "I mean, we'll have to feed, defend and clothe her at least from a practical standpoint."

"If Telma is going to let me pull off heists in the name of Hyrule's safety, you won't hear a complaint out of me." He finally replied, but Endel didn't think he agreed with that sentiment.

After brooding all the way back to Kakariko, Endel gathered the others and revisited the meeting spot they'd first encountered Telma. "Looks like you managed to pull it off!" The woman said with excitement before they could even debrief. "Let's hear those juicy details you squeezed outta that Great Fairy." Once again Cheval took the liberty of catching their boss up. For the most part, she seemed to agree with their sentiment about the missing scholar, albeit with a scowl. "You're gonna need to find Shad then. Skinny little weasel... last I heard he was digging up some rocks deep in the Faron Woods. He doesn't bother with us anymore, just his research, but maybe you can get his attention when you mention those underground ruins you found. Don't bring him around me though or I might just thrash him, you hear?"

Posted

Lorcan smiled faintly at Telma's little rant about Shad - their falling out was one that few dared to bring up around the woman.

It was agreed that their horses should be fed and allowed to rest for a while in preparation for the trip to Faron Woods.

Telma sat Maia down with some tea and spent a while chatting to the girl, who seemed to be far more relaxed in the other's presence. Lorcan joined Endel and Cheval in a game of cards, while Torianna and Skallin opted to watch from the sidelines.

Endel spoke up then, casting a frown in Torianna's direction. "Say, Torianna. You never really told us what happened when Lorcan brought you back to the network. You mentioned a scuffle, but..."

Lorcan eyed the girl warily. Her cheeks had turned the faintest shade of red, and she sat a little straighter in her seat.

"Oh, that was... well..."

Posted

Torianna shifted in her seat. She wasn't comfortable with this conversation in the slightest. Lorcan watched her carefully, waiting for her to respond. He'd know for certain if she tried to lie her way out of it. But just because she had to tell the truth, didn't mean she had to tell the whole truth - especially not the truth that even Lorcan didn't know.

"Deal me in," she spat to Cheval, who was dealing out the cards.

He nodded, dropping a share in front of her. "Whist, alright? Me and Cheval verses you and Lorcan. Hearts trump."

Torianna scooped up the cards, and set about organising them into suits as she spoke. "The boss was angry," she said simply. "He was angry that I didn't return the night before, and he was angry that I turned up with a scoundrel." She paused, laying out a card and announcing "Queen of spades."

"Crickey, he sounds like a ray of sunshine," Cheval muttered, then added "Three of spades," dropping the corresponding card onto the pile.

Lorcan studied Torianna carefully, dropping the four of spades silently into the pile.

"So what did he actually do?" Endel asked, weighing out his options to move.

She pondered for a few moments, then said "It's called retribution." She glanced around the table. Cheval and Skallin were both as unresponsive as ever. Lorcan looked almost apprehensive, and Endel watched her with a frown of confusion. She sighed. "He tied me to a chair and left me in the basement."

Endel blinked, looking almost pitiful, which Torianna hated. "I'm sorry, Torianna," he said. "That's-"

"Don't," she warned him.

He glanced at his cards, before half heartedly throwing the seven of spades down. Torianna rolled her eyes, he threw away.

Torianna scowled. "You're too soft."

She collected the winnings begrudgingly, stacking them next to her.

What she didn't tell them, of course, was that the boss was also her father. They didn't need to know that, it was none of their business

Posted

Maia had been sitting with a nice woman, who had introduced herself as Telma, for a while now. They didn't talk about the fact that the group had clearly kidnapped her; even by looks you could see that Maia came out of the castle. Telma seemed a bit determined to avoid that topic, but Maia had figured that that was probably because she looked like she knew the group well. 

They just did some small talk, and eventually, she asked Maia if she wanted something to eat. Maia had nodded, because it seemed like she hadn't eaten in a week. She was used to having plenty of food at the castle. She thanked Telma for the soup that she had brought, and watched the group play some game with cards. 

She had to get away from them, back to the Princess... But how? She couldn't possibly escape, they were all trained and she couldn't even lift a bag of flour. But she hated being here, and she was scared... 

"Will they ever bring me back?" Maia asked Telma.

Telma refused to look at her and shrugged.

Maia sighed. "I miss the castle..."

Posted

"We win!" Torianna announced, one fist knocking lightly against the table as she grinned. "Not bad at all."

Lorcan smiled as Endel and Cheval muttered curses under their breath; the two thieves had always prided themselves on being excellent at card games.

"Looks like Maia is feeling a little homesick," Cheval noted, nodding toward the girl.

"What's so great about working in the castle, anyways?" Torianna asked. "Seems like it'd be pretty boring."

"Well, maybe she gets to see a glimpse of Princess Zelda now and then. But you've got a point, I'd be dying to get away from all of that."

Lorcan shrugged, glancing to the blonde girl sipping at a bowl of soup. She certainly did look nervous, but she was needed for now, if they wanted to deal with Great Fairies and their corrupted monsters, or whatever it was they were exactly. He was too tired to recall everything at the moment. It must have been apparent, because Torianna pointed it out as soon as a yawn escaped him.

"Getting tired?" she asked with a smile. "I wonder if you talk in your sleep."

Lorcan glared back at her, turning away with a huff.

Posted

It was still misty out when everyone awoke and prepared for their next journey to Faron Woods. Endel had never been to the forest before, as it was one of their most thoroughly scouted regions thanks to the work of a former member. Many Scoundrels of Virtue that preferred honorable work liked to organize raids on monster camps in the woods. "Lorcan, have you ever been here before?" Endel asked; it seemed like he knew where he was going somewhat, and to everyone's relief he nodded with a grin.

The group had fallen in line behind the silent guard as he led them to what looked like a gigantic tree stump. The ground had eroded around it into a deep chasm, but even though a single root formed a bridge they could cross to the trunk, Lorcan guided them to a system of zip-lines they could take over the chasm itself. "Well... this ought to be fun." Endel muttered nervously as they took turns going from one line to the next.

Posted

When they finally arrived on the other side of the zip lines, rotating platforms and tightropes, Torianna was sick of the sight of them. Luckily, they seemed to have arrived on more solid footing. The area was an extremely closed off. Dense trees and rocks covered every direction, meaning that only a soft trickle of sunlight crept through the trees. The air was thick with mist and fog, which added an uneasy sense to what might otherwise be a very beautiful place.

"What the hell is this place?" Torianna breathed.

Lorcan just smiled knowingly, pressing forth into the woodlands. His hand remained on his sword as they walked, though Torianna just assumed it was a precaution.

"So what's this Scholar like?" she asked.

"He's very intelligent," Endel replied. "Through he dresses in a somewhat quirky manor, and he does have a tendency to use outdated words, like 'crickey' and 'blazes'. It's rather amusing!"

Torianna grinned. "He sounds hilarious."

She cast a glance around this mysterious place as Endel stepped back into step with Cheval, keeping one eye on Maia. She doubted the girl would wonder off alone, not in a place like this.

"So Lorcan," Torianna said, stepping up to walk in pace with him. "How come you know this place so well?" He glanced at her with a bored expression, lips pressed together. She grinned. "Don't tell me, you used to come here to read story books to children? Perform stand up comedy? Did you do karaoke here?"

He let out a sharp breath, nostrils flaring as he did so. Torianna couldn't help but laugh at his reaction. She didn't get to have this kind of fun in the network.

Posted

Ignoring Torianna's grin, Lorcan instead focused on simply getting the group safely to the other side of the dense forest, where he knew a clearing awaited. More likely than not, Shad would be there carrying out some sort of research.

"I bet your first guess was right," Endel says. "Reading to the lost little kids, bless his soul."

Lorcan rolled his eyes, leaving them to it and trying his best to block them out. It wasn't enough.

"Maybe it only works because he looks just like the kids he'd be reading to," Cheval speculated, and Torianna laughed delightedly. "Little boy curls and all."

Lorcan grit his teeth in annoyance, striding as far ahead as he could while remaining with the rest of the group. He grinned when he heard Endel trip over a thick tree root, landing with an 'oomph!' 

"I bet he does sing, though," Torianna said. "Belts it out like there's no tomorrow."

Just as Lorcan was about to snap, he caught sight of the bespectacled man they'd been searching for, smiling and turning to the rest of the group. Lifting a finger to his lips, he shushed them, jerking his thumb back in the direction of where Shad stood in the clearing.

"Oh, you found him!" Endel says. "Good going, Lorcan. Let's get to it, then." 

Posted

((You may have noticed I haven't posted in a while. Rest assured I am reading, I'm just letting you guys drive the plot for a while.))

Posted

"Hey Shad!" Endel called out, and the little man nearly jumped out of his skin. "By golly, boy, you nearly were the death of me there!" Shad quipped, but he quickly regained his posture. "Well, this is a pleasant surprise," he continued, "more of the old Resistance I take it? I hope Telma hasn't decided to tie up any loose ends with me, so to speak."

"Relax, we're just here to tell you about another series of ruins we found. Ever wanted to study Great Fairies?"

Shad's eyes widened. "Great... Fairies!? I scratched those blokes off as a myth aeons ago! Are you telling me you found one?"

Endel nodded.

"By my old pop's grave, you've given my research new life!" the silly little scholar thanked everyone generously. "I suppose you'll be wanting something in return. Well, no need to be shy, I'm all ears!" Cheval stepped forward and explained the nature of what they were looking for, and Shad seemed to have a solution for their problems even before he finished. "Ah, you're in luck. Curse removal has become a well-researched art ever since that business with the Twili I gave a hand to. Luck has given us both a helping hand it seems, for the most potent method of fixing your problem is the energy from a sword in these very woods!"

As shad went on rambling about something called the 'Master Sword' and it's 'unique cocktail of mystical energies,' Endel's mind wandered back to the forest. He didn't want to admit it, but he too felt these woods were familiar. Why did he feel like he was visiting the home of someone dear to him as he walked through the trees of this place?

Endel was brought out of his pondering when Shad procured an odd sort of blunt weapon that resembled a decorative rod. "This rod," he told them, "is capable of tracking onto an object's magical energy and taking it's properties. Swing it near that sword in the clearing up ahead and it ought to capture a bit of the sword's powers and replicate it. It's no potion, but the energy radiation will get those poor tykes you mentioned alive and well!"

Posted (edited)

((Good to know everything's alright Necro!))

"Thank you for all your help," Cheval said, taking the bizzare rod from the scholar.

Torianna glanced wearily at the strange item. It's handle was long and thin, and it curved off into two spherical shapes at either end. Cheval was holding it carefully, like he was afraid of it's power.

"Don't mention it chaps," replied with a friendly smile "and ladies of course!" He added with a nod to Torianna and Maia. He pressed the book he was holding under his arm, offering each memeber or the group a handshake. "Best of luck to you all! I'll pop by at some point, see what I can't find for the old noodle about these great fairies!"

The group thanked him once again before pressing forth into the clearing. There, stood in the middle of the clearing, was the most intriguing sword that Torianna had ever seen. It was long, silver, and engraved with religious symbols just above the hilt. The hilt was purple green, and oddly shaped with folds and curves.

Torianna frowned. "Would you look at that!" she exclaimed.

She stepped closer, reaching out to touch the hilt, but Lorcan grabbed him firmly by the shoulder, pulling her back.

"What?" she asked, but he just shot her a dark glare, keeping firm grip on her shoulder as Cheval stepped forward, gently waving the rod over the sword. Endel seemed to be in a world of his own as the rod lit up with a gentle green light.

Cheval nodded, seemingly satisfied. "Lets get to work."

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Lorcan kept his grip on Torianna's shoulder as they walked, mostly out of precaution. She didn't make any further moves toward the mysterious rod they'd picked up, but he wasn't about to slack. He'd do his job one way or another.
They walked at the forefront, so that Lorcan could guide the group back along the safest paths, crossing tightropes and swinging across seemingly unending chasms.
"You're pretty light on your feet, considering all of the tightropes and whatnot," Torianna commented. "Come here on your day off or something?"
Lorcan looked down at her in surprise, trying and failing to hide it. Reluctantly, he nodded, and Torianna smiled.
"Seems like you know the place fairly well. Bet you swing along with all the monkeys, yelling and all."
Lorcan scowled, turning back at a 'whoosh' to check the rest of the group were still following. Endel seemed to have come out of whatever trance he was in, looking at their new find in admiration as Cheval inspected it thoroughly, waving it about. Maia walked a little off to the side, looking nervous at the way Cheval swung experimentally.
Lorcan lifted a hand, signalling for Cheval to stop with a firm glare.
"What is it?" the thief asked with a frown.
Lorcan simply shook his head, drawing his blade before resheathing it before nodding pointedly at Cheval.
"You must be disturbing the balance of Lorcan's little happy place," Torianna commented wryly. He moved his glare to her, but quickly resumed walking.
He wasn't about to admit it, but he was very fond of the forest, and he wasn't going to have any kind of weapon drawn when there was no need for it.

Edited by ButterflyBabyBlue (see edit history)

Posted

((I think we're leaving the actual Master Sword in the clearing, not taking it with us. Just a tiny correction!))

Suddenly, there was a great disturbance in the distance that sent a flock of large birds skyward. "Any idea what could've done that?" Endel asked Lorcan, but he merely shrugged. The thief had felt like there was a strange tune far in the distance earlier, the whistling of wind on a blade of grass perhaps, but he'd dismissed it as nothing.

But there it was again, the faint noise of something that had to be calling these birds, as the previously disturbed animals were now soaring down into the same location about half a mile away as if summoned there. "I think we need to get our weapons ready..." Toianna muttered as she saw it too, and everyone silently readied themselves. The group had only gone a few dozen more paces when a terrible hollering and cawing filled the air and froze Endel with fear.

The source of the awful noise revealed itself when a half dozen of the birds from earlier soared back into the sky and made a beeline for their party. On the monsters' backs were Bulblin archers, who directed the beasts to circle their prey. Surrounded and outmanned, this didn't bode well for them.

Posted

Maia let out a screech of terror, ducking to the ground immediately with her arms buckled over her head. Torianna resisted the urge to roll her eyes; if there was one thing that she couldn't stand, it was a coward.

The group formed a circle around the trembling Maia, weapons in hand. Torianna had chosen her corvo knife, pulled quickly from her waistband. Each member of the group, with the exception of their unwitting hostage, took up a fighting stance. But there was very little that could be done. Their opponents were airborne with long distance weapons - the group was ground bound and armed only with swords and daggers.

"What are we supposed to do?" Torianna said, nimbly dodging an arrow. "How are we meant to attack?!"

No one offered any kind of response, Torianna was pretty sure that they didn't have an answer themselves. They continued to do their best to fend of the incoming attacks, but it wasn't easy. The first hit caught Lorcan on the back of the shoulder, eliciting an angry growl from him as he wrenched the arrow from his skin. The second slashed through the skin of Endel's arm, the third caught Torianna's ear.

"Damn," she muttered, wincing a little. She kept a tight grip on her knife - she'd had worse. She glanced up at the attackers, still circling over head. "There's got to be a better tactic!" she snapped.