Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dumb People who make Good Things

34 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm being reminded of the embarrassing bullshit when the CEO of Chick-Fil-A stated his beliefs about gay marriage and idiots thought that they had to react to it.

I think this thread is maybe related to the blurring definitions of "tolerance" and "support". I tolerate every book ever, but it doesn't mean I support it at all

Same with people, or art, or movies or whatever

Posted (edited)

I found the Bible really entertaining when I was younger...

(past all the names of fathers, grandfathers and forefathers) 

Edited by Rawberry (see edit history)

Posted

I'm being reminded of the embarrassing bullshit when the CEO of Chick-Fil-A stated his beliefs about gay marriage and idiots thought that they had to react to it.

I dont think that's really the same. 

From what I understand, Pheo is probably reading online scans and downloading the show, both for free. Also, even if he did monetarily support the author, i dont think he'd use his money to advocate pedophilia. Although I could be completely wrong. He may have a "secret agenda" lol

If you want Chick-fil-A, you havta pay for it and monetarily support the business. You cant get Chick-fil-A for free. In capitalism, people vote more with their money, weather they morally support it or not, if you give them money, you are supporting them. And Chick-fil-A supports (again, with money) many anti-gay organizations that are trying to stop marriage equality, among other things. So yeah, if you buy Chick-fil-A, you are supporting these organizations. Does that make you a bad person? not really, it's just a part of capitalism. But if people feel the need to take a stand and boycott something they disagree with, i think they have every right to do that. And they have every right to encourage others to do the same, just as other people promote other things. I dont think its a big deal that people wanna boycott Chick-fil-A, i encourage them too, obvs. So yeah, i dont think its the same at all.

If i could eat Chick-fil-A without supporting them, omg bye Wendy's. I'd have Chick-fil-A every week!! 

(sorry if i got off track. I hope my post made sense at least)

Posted

You can also see issues with literature or media people create, and you can dislike how they've presented something or the fact that they did it at all, and then still find the greater work or artist alright. That wouldn't be hypocritical. It'd be hypocritical if you acted as if the morally questionable things someone did aren't morally questionable, but if you find a specific thing they did questionable or distasteful that shouldn't put someone off from enjoying the greater work.