Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Current Middle-Eastern tensions

60 posts in this topic

Posted

There is no naming authority, so I don't see why each region calling other regions names based on their location relative to them is such an issue. I'm not gonna call it West Asia, because if I tell someone, "Hey whats going on in West Asia right now" they'll go, "Huh. what?" And then I have to explain all of this conversation to them, hoping they don't think I'm talking down to them, when all I wanted to do in the first place was make smalltalk.

Posted

Yeah, but the point is that ideally, we wouldn't call it the Middle East. It's just another way our language biases us. There probably aren't serious pushes to call it West Asia.

Posted

If things were actually Eurocentric, then wouldn't the West be called The Center? Naming conventions don't always make sense. They don't have to. And like I said, everything is relative. People in the Middle East call the US the west, so

Posted

"I'm too lazy to stop being racist."

Posted

"I like to construct strawmen in my front yard"

Posted

"Keeps the crows out"

Linguistic culture biases do exist though.

Posted (edited)

I feel like verity is Ammonsa's alt lol. Like I don't know if they're actually like this or if this is an act.

Middle-Eastern deals with no race. There are many races in that generalization. I supposed Midwestern and Southern are racist, too?

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

Verity is not Ammonsa's alt. She and I still talk and she mentioned recently she hadn't been on hnet in a while. She would have told me if she were visiting in secret.

Posted

Middle Eastern still has a cultural bias that West Asia doesn't. West Asia is a hard geographic place, the Middle East is a silly concept that places West Asia's worth as somewhere just between the East and West cultural concepts.

Posted

What about the orient

Posted

Chase, y-you can't say that!!

Posted

No one uses the Orient in official discussion. Or on the media. You don't see CBS report, "In other news, THE ORIENT has had a massive population crisis in the last few years"

Posted

I thought it was the middle east because it was in the middle on a north south level. Not russia, not india.

Posted

No one uses the Orient in official discussion. Or on the media.

nigga he just said it on some media

and can you give the official defintion of "official discussion"? I'd really like to see some canon, tournament-legal discussion going on and everyone knows that the word "Orient" is banned for being OP

Posted

I think it's just kind of a poor-taste kind of thing to say now or something. I've only been exposed to someone in the media (Joe Biden) saying "the Orient" in a separate video complaining that he described it as "the Orient".

Anyway the point of this discussion isn't what we call things. Stuff sux in ~that general area~ (Middle-East/West Asia) and it seems to be getting worse.