Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Local rioting and police brutality

49 posts in this topic

Posted

Your mom is one of the most genuine people I know.

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

updating for now, it's gonna be short, just because I'm tired of all of it.

Got to spend quite a bit of time out in ferguson this week with an old co worker who has been a part of the peaceful protest up there, cleaning up and just talking to people.  It was good, but this whole thing has really been exhausting to be around constantly.

There is finally a group of people from the community trying to keep things calm, forming lines between would be rioters/looters and storefronts and cops.  I hope things keep getting better, but at least some of the dust has settled, for now.

We will see what happens after the grand jury.

Posted

I think if anyone attempts to frame these events as the source of racism and oppression these days that's pretty inaccurate. It'd be more apt to frame it as a response to the racism already there.

Posted

How are you doing with all of the rioting?

Posted

Yeah Skippy, it looks crazy down there. A ton of buildings on fire. I haven't heard much from today in specific though. 

I heard the prosecutor was practically defending the guy. Like in law school they teach you that you could practically indict a ham sandwich, and yet the guy was practically defending Darren Wilson. They also moved the indictment trial from Ferguson to Jefferson, which has a much higher proportion of white people. So the jury was 9 white and 3 black. And then of course, Wilson was not indicted. This is why they were calling for a special prosecutor. The rioters smashed a pawn shop that I often walk by on Grand on the way from Upstairs Lounge. Luckily they didn't burn down any of the music places I go to. At least they didn't hold the indictment verdict until Black Friday though. I cashier that day, lol...

Posted

At this point I don't care so much about who did what, where, or why it was done. Nor do I care about whatever Kangaroo court did or did not do whatever they did or didn't do. I can't control that. I can't even validate any facts because when something like this happens and it becomes a national issue a billion different contradictory sources of information come out, and most people just believe whatever fits with their own bias most closely. puppy it.

Posted

The trial was a joke, honestly. They spent two minutes on the cigarello robbery before they had to stop because it wasn't related to the murder, and only served to try and make Mike Brown look worse.

Prosecutors are not supposed to present any defense. So if there's anything that's for certain, the prosecutor was clearly biased against an indictment. A lack of indictment is incredibly rare.

Posted

I just want to go cause senseless violence now.

Posted

Well, the grand jury was in Clayton, which is where it would have been in any case as it is where the Saint Louis County grand jury is located, and the GJ had been in session since well before this incident.

The cigarillo robbery was covered because, as it turns out, Wilson did get a description of two people fleeing a robbery before he made the stop.  It was there to both put a frame of mind of Mike Brown and how the officer approached the situation.

As far as defense, they certainly presented much more evidence than is normal in a grand jury, but when you have 7 out of 10 witnesses and all physical evidence corroborating the officers story you can see why they didn't indict. And in all honesty, if it did go to trial, we would just be seeing this a year down the road when he was acquitted. 

Posted

The worst part about this is that the police force there and the town will probably still feel this incident for a long time. The officer wasn't indicted but the area will still have the negativity surrounding it for years probably. People get so mad that they don't want to accept that the officer might have been doing the correct thing. It's too reasonable of a story to see a cop doing what's right. People wanted there to be an injustice so they can justify their anger. The most angry people aren't going to read into the case. They're going to claim that the system is corrupt. The victim complex is just a gross cycle of being in denial.

I think people follow these stories and cases because they want to believe that the world is as terrible as the sensationalized coverage, then turn around and condemn society.

Posted

Man

Life sucks when it isn't about me and my friends.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

LL, sometimes your putting down of things like this as a "victim complex" disturbs and frustrates me. Really and truly.

We don't turn back to history or to other nations with corrupt systems and say shit like that. The statistics speak for themselves. The media's distractions speak for themselves. And if you've seen the prosecutor's case, that would speak for itself too. To claim our police force isn't corrupt is just another way you can turn a blind eye to issues and feel superior to those who live under its real, frequent injustices. Like saying racism has been defeated so what are they worrying about?

Cascade likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm saying that a cop following the law isn't that juicy of a story. The news report of a bad cop oppressing people is a satisfying and thrillng narrative. The way people get excited and passionate about things like this makes me think that they enjoy tragedies like this. It's a chance to let off steam against real or imagined injustices and state your own stance on the subject. The only point I was making in the post above is that people have already decided how they're going to feel about the topic. No one is going to go back with a clear mind and read the case. If people are refusing to accept anything but an indictment, then do they really want justice? They don't want a case, they want blood. If the only two realities that people are willing to accept are either 1. Indictment, or 2. The entire system is corrupt and we are oppressed, then people have already decided that they're going to be victims. Justice and emotional responses don't mix, but that's juwt my idea of what justice is. It's not always the most satisfying, thrilling narrative. I'm not remarking at all whether or not there was justice here. Chill

I really don't know what your second paragraph is talking about.

And I don't know why T1g is making posts like that, either?

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

You know what injustice is?  Eric Garner.  That should be the figure everyone is rallying behind for change, but it won't happen till people calm down a bit. Everything is so violent right now, and it's really only making the case worse.

In other news, Saint Louis County Police are investigating possible charges against Brown's stepdad for inciting a riot, what with the whole screaming "Burn this mother puppyer down" shortly before they proceeded to burn that mother puppyer down.

Edited by Skippy (see edit history)
pheonix561, T1g and Treemotan like this