Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Death

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Something I've been thinking about frequently, lately. I dunno why - unfortunately, it's just been on my mind a lot.

I don't want life to be finite. I keep thinking about the fact that it's going to happen - that I only have one life, that I can't change time, or anything like that. It scares the fuck out of me.

I'm just really shaken up right now and I gotta get it off my chest. Might as well open this up for discussion.

Advice? Your thoughts on death? Any problems with the concept?

Posted

Death is whatever. It happens. you cant change that, so why give a fuuck?

Posted

Destruction

Posted

Death is at it's most scary when you can't see much happening between you and it. I've got things I hope to do, and things I'm excited to find out about, so death isn't much of a worry for me right now, not now that I've distanced it with ideas for how I'll spend my life.

True you only have one life. That annoys me most of all. People get given their circumstances and you just have to run with it, because there will be no other opportunity for a second try. 

At some point you start to puzzle over how short a year is, and how quickly it can pass. I realise that time is only short when you spend it doing things you'll forget. Your brain filters out memories that it doesn't judge to be useful. If I don't practice a song on the piano often enough, the muscle memory will start to decay, as my brain judges that the instinct isn't needed anymore. If an experience is no use to you, your brain won't bother to take note of it. A day spent on the computer will, in retrospect, seem a lot shorter than the one where you went to a cafe and read a book. That's not even spectacularly different or exciting, but it's enough to make your time better spent.

A year is really a long time, when you consider how it could be spent. Two years is a huge length of time. We all stand to live a long time.

I'm not sure if I or anyone else will come to stable terms with the reality of their death, but we'll at least get sick of thinking about it too much.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted (edited)

Death is a thing I've thought about, gotten scared of, felt uncomfortable with, wanted to come sooner and then just stopped thinking about too much. I've basically come to the conclusion it's something I don't care about rushing or waiting for so I'm just not gonna care about it too much. It's a bit comforting to think about, though. I mean, I'm going to be so pissed if I die from someone else's carelessness and I might sincerely hope to come back and haunt them until they've cosplayed at my grave or something but that's pretty much it.

(It's never going to be not awkward when someone dies who you didn't know personally but is somehow related to you let me tell you (it's really awkward to hear about))

Edited by Rawberry (see edit history)
SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Everyone at some point in their life will come face to face with their mortality. Generally speaking it tends to happen sooner rather than later, and it sounds like that's the kind of thing you're dealing with right now. The most honest thing I can think to tell you is you're eventually going to come to terms with the fact that all good things must come to an end, and so too will you. Don't think me too presumptuous when I say emphatically that you will learn that, because it's just a part of life. Hopefully you'll one day learn too that the fact that everything you know and love will be dust in space one day is no reason to not enjoy yourself today.

Posted

I'm actually excited for the post-death Skeleton War. That's deff something to look forward to!!

Posted

Do you guys ever think about how you want to go? Practically speaking I'd like to die doing what I love, but ideally, I want to die violent and screaming in anger and covered in my own blood. T1g and I both agree that the best last words anyone can possibly have are "THERE'S TWO MANY OF THEM!"

Posted

"Come with me if you want to be awesome!!"

I'm actually a really rad cult leader in this scenario I guess.

Posted

Hopefully you'll one day learn too that the fact that everything you know and love will be dust in space one day is no reason to not enjoy yourself today.

Yeah, I'm not letting it get in the way of most things right now. And I gotta admit - the idea of being space dust is pretty damn cool.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

My friend started reading this book, and I'll probably borrow it from him when he's done. It's called "Be Here Now" by Ram Dass. It's a book based on Eastern Spirituality and practices such as Yoga. I don't know too much about it, since I haven't read it yet, but it seems like it's somewhat of a guide to learn how to live in the moment. It's very repetitive and essentially says the same thing over and over again, but in different ways so that the idea becomes ingrained into your being. Stuff like "there is no tomorrow, there is only today" and "reality is subjective, not absolute, only perception."

What I'm saying is, maybe reading that or something similar may calm your qualms of Death. Its a really pretty book too, filled with lots of interesting illustrations. If you'd like, I can text you a .pdf of the book, so you can read it on your phone. It's a very very very simple read, so even reading it by smart phone shouldn't be annoying at all.  

Posted

i have accepted that one day sayuri is gonna chainsaw me in half and weirdly enough i will get aroused by it as i lay dying

Posted

Its a bummer to think about sometimes. I wanna think consciousness lives on, but I think its probably wishful thinking. Theres always transhumanism. Would you be willing to stop being human to live forever? Or just until you think you've had enough. That's also wishful thinking, but who can say what the future holds? Imagine the world just 100 years ago. 100 years of exponentially advancing technology later you never know whats possible. In the mean time, its probably a good idea to reconcile yourself for your ultimate doom though.

Posted

i have accepted that one day sayuri is gonna chainsaw me in half and weirdly enough i will get aroused by it as i lay dying

I think we broke him.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

Progress! I'm not over it at all, and I feel kinda hyper-aware and it's kinda scary, but I am happy again. So there's that :>

pheonix561 likes this