Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bands that remind you of people

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's one for Phanta, because Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt! remind me of him.

They're such a partying hippy band and there's something about it's semi-ironic casual coolness that reminds me of Phanta.

Their upcoming album is called "Live it Up Before You Die it Up!" and that is so Phanta to me. It's what I imagine Phanta would make if Phanta made music.

How can a band that names a song "Forget Everything That Makes You Want to Not Be This Band" not be totally Phanta.

New single (bit more refined than their first album):

https://soundcloud.com/terrorpigeon/girl

Previous music (his current avatar looks like it could have been taken off of this album cover, which only strengthens by vague connection):

Their website might give you a seizure

http://terrorpigeon.us/

OH YEAH DUDE!!
We are so very pleased to bring you our second full length, LIVE IT UP BEFORE YOU DIE IT UP! out September 23rd on Stay Magical!

artworks-000088699665-xhqr3h-t200x200.jp<--- That's the album cover!!
HERE ARE THE SONGS ON IT
1) Scarfs Are Just Blankets For Snakes
2) Sydney's Theme
3) Girl!
4) Dana
5) Forget Everything That Makes You Want to Not Be This Band
6) Likeluster
7) When I Think About You I Trust Myself
8) Boyfriend Personal Achievement Awards
9) But I'm Your Fool
10) BYOYOLO

It's coming at you on vinyl, shirt, postcard, digital and tear-stained war letter. PREORDER most of those right now by clicking this awesome HYPERLINK All preorders come with a download of our new single "GIRL!"

MEGA DELUXE TRANSLUCENT BLUE VINYL EDITION
- Super LTD* mother puppying blue record
- download code
- album cover poster 
- lyric book 
- sticker pack
- certificate for still supporting independent music in the year 2014
- Terror Pigeon Croc artifact. (An actual piece of a croc shoe that I've worn while on stage performing)
*only 311 are being made!!! We were gonna make 300 but then we thought "um, 311 tribute? Totally!!"

DIGITAL DOWNLOAD
- for your iPODZZZZZZZZZZ 

POSTCARD WITH DRAWING!
- cool postcard with download code mailed to your door
- on the front find your very own, 1 of a kind, hand drawn drawing, done by head band dude, Neil! Use the comment section of your checkout to give any pertinent deets on what he should draw 

T-SHIRT
- LTD edition LIUBYDIU shirt! Not available for preorder - more info coming soon! We're still figuring out what's "actually possible to print"

TEAR STAINED WAR LETTER
- this one is puppying weird but hopefully funny. Basically Neil writes and mails you a classic "dude away at war writing to his best gal back home" style letter. You know, that "I'll write you everyday I'm away" type stuff. In this scenario you and Neil are like married, and you're carrying a baby you guys sexed up. The letter is guaranteed to be stained with actual Neil tears. Video documentation can be secured upon request. LAST THING: the only kind of important piece to this is that instead of it being like 1935 Neil's off fighting the bug war depicted in the film Starship Troopers.

THANK YOU. YOU ARE THE BEST. I LOVE THAT THIS IS MY JOB. I AM THE LUCKIEST BOY. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

Not gonna lie, I saw the thread title and hoped that I would be mentioned. But i get a whole post, and it's the opening post <3

That song isnt bad. I mean, its really bad but in a way that's almost good. Maybe if it had a bit more *flare* lol. I'll deff check out more of their music though.

It's what I imagine Phanta would make if Phanta made music.

I've only written/completed one song in my entire life and it was about my friend's penis. If i make more music, it'll probably be like what you have posted tbh. I guess you're pretty spot on. Not in discribing music that id like, but rather music that is me. I am music. I enter your soul via your ear canal. 

Posted

I guess it's like if the main characters of Adventure Time made an album, kinda. A "we're making music because it makes us happy to do so" kind of band, who don't mind too much how it sounds as long as it's a blast to perform.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

There was an Aquabats song that reminded me of Phanta because they talk about a "sword of justice" and say "we cannot die". Not sure why it reminds me of him. Maybe for the reason Teto said

T1g and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

I guess it's like if the main characters of Adventure Time made an album, kinda. A "we're making music because it makes us happy to do so" kind of band, who don't mind too much how it sounds as long as it's a blast to perform.

Yeah i mean, especially in today's era of music pirating, performance is more than half of what makes a musician/band great. A lot of *non-mainstream* artists just release their music for free these days, and make all their money from live performances. Das Racist for instance. Though I hear that vinyls are still super popular among the more *serious* music fans.  

But yeah, performance can make or break a band, especially for individual fans. For instance, I went to a Santigold concert with my friends a couple of years ago. It was my idea to go, after hearing just one of her songs. But a few days before the concert, I listened to some of her music on YouTube. I wasn't diggin it too hard, since most of her music is very different from "The Keepers" the song I first heard. But I went anyways, puppying loved the show, and now she is my favorite artist. Hands down I listen to her latest album "Master of My Make-Believe" way more than any other album. <3

Conversely, I used to love MGMT and was super jealous that my friends went to see them without me. But when they told me about it a few days after, they were all so disappointed. Apparently there was no *energy* in their performance, and, at least for that particular show, they appeared to not even care. They even messed up a few of their songs. Super bummed. After hearing that from my friends- some of them being musicians that have preformed themselves- I just cant appreciate MGMT's music anymore.

Let's start a band Teto.

Posted

So I run my mouth about Eagles a lot, does that mean you guys think of me when you hear them on the radio or hear their stuff?

Posted

Yes, actually. I get the impression the same goes for you guys with myself/tom waits.

Posted

Honestly, I don't associate anyone here with any type of music. At least not in the way Teto is talking about. I listen to a lot of music that makes me feel a lot of different things, but non of you come to mind when I listen to them. Cascade maybe fits the bill a bit for some of the music I love. Okay, Yeah, This post is gonna be about Cascade now!

Cascade's internet persona, to me, is very *hotel heiress* *prima donna* *rich bitch* with a a healthy dose of LGBT flare, which is the formula for the perfect being. (Not saying she's perfect, she just has the makings of perfection- the potential) So here are some songs that embody that. I love all of these songs, so please take this as the highest form of compliment from me, Cascade. Even if you don't agree with the selection. <3

(Also wanted to include "Donatella" by Lady Gaga, but I guess there is a 2 video limit)

Also, as a side note, Cascade may be Jessica Walter from another timeline. Like in All-New X-Men, when they bring the original X-Men from the past (as teenagers) to our present to meet their adult selves. It's like that except with Cascade instead of the X-Men!

*Of course, this is all based on Cascade's internet persona as I've never met her in real life, nor do I know too much about her actual self*

arrested-development-bored-unimpressed-l

Cascade and Teto like this

Posted

Yeah i mean, especially in today's era of music pirating, performance is more than half of what makes a musician/band great. A lot of *non-mainstream* artists just release their music for free these days, and make all their money from live performances. Das Racist for instance. Though I hear that vinyls are still super popular among the more *serious* music fans.  

But yeah, performance can make or break a band, especially for individual fans. For instance, I went to a Santigold concert with my friends a couple of years ago. It was my idea to go, after hearing just one of her songs. But a few days before the concert, I listened to some of her music on YouTube. I wasn't diggin it too hard, since most of her music is very different from "The Keepers" the song I first heard. But I went anyways, puppying loved the show, and now she is my favorite artist. Hands down I listen to her latest album "Master of My Make-Believe" way more than any other album. <3

Conversely, I used to love MGMT and was super jealous that my friends went to see them without me. But when they told me about it a few days after, they were all so disappointed. Apparently there was no *energy* in their performance, and, at least for that particular show, they appeared to not even care. They even messed up a few of their songs. Super bummed. After hearing that from my friends- some of them being musicians that have preformed themselves- I just cant appreciate MGMT's music anymore.

Let's start a band Teto.

Man, hippy bands make the best live shows. Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt! and Dan Deacon being two of my dream live performances.

Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt have basically huge pyjama parties in crowded rooms where everybody parties and the singer is just in the crowd dancing with the fans, with flashing lights. 

Dan Deacon makes his this bizarre interactive experience, as if it's a big kid's TV show where the kids are forced to participate. Like man, look at how these start up.

Posted

That looks like it'd be a lot of fun to be at!

My dream show is to see Empire of the Sun live. My friends have seen them a few times at Bonaroo. To get the full effect of their performance, drugs are required, obvs. 

The lead singer is really into *high fashion* so he wears his "costume" out in public during his normal life.

luke-eots1.jpg

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Oh, swordfish hotkiss night is actually the only song I know by them but it's also my favorite of theirs. I've been wanting to get more into them, that was a good song.

Posted

blah blah tom waits blah blah pheo blah blah deep raspy voice blah blah berserk is the best thing ever

Posted

Oh, swordfish hotkiss night is actually the only song I know by them but it's also my favorite of theirs. I've been wanting to get more into them, that was a good song.

I didn't even realize this song was by them haha. Very different from most of their other music. Most of their stuff reminds me of like, a narrative fantasy almost. When i'm high i get lost in their music very easily. 

Posted

Yeah, I've always gotten the impression this was the kind of band that was deliberately meant to be appreciated while on drugs. That's probably whats keeping me from getting more into them.

Posted

jux do drugs like a normal college student gosh

haha, I mean, i fully enjoy them while sober. They might be my favorite band, regardless. But I don't think i got into them until i heard them when i was high. Like, they were pretty good when i first heard them in a sober state, but I didn't fully appreciate them until i heard them after smoking some. And then after that i was able to appreciate them all the time. So yeah, you should try marijuana listening to them some more. <3

PS- Even if we are getting off track a bit, i think this was a really great thread. Teto did it again. 

So this song, "Don't You Know" by Fantastic Plastic Machine reminds me of LL, in part. A few of the verses parallel a conversation we just had, even if the song in it's entirety point in a completely different direction. Might as well share it, you know? I can also relate a bit to it, especially after the conversation LL and I had. I'll bold the lyrics that remind me of him.

http://youtu.be/9fnGO7LK7YM

I see the headline news, the stories that I read do not affect me,
directly,
It's hard to feel that they are real, I end up gazing at the words.
I see the evening news, reports that they are showing are depressing,
distressing,
But even so, I'm not involved I end up staring at the screen....

But you spring to mind
You make me think hard
I suddenly start
To take things to heart
You color my world
A little more ever day
Seeing clearer now

Don't you know
I'm thinking of you
You make me think hard
I feel the surprise
Reality bites
A breath of fresh air
A little more every day
Seeing clearer now

The politicians quarrel, journalists rejoice
in every scoop that they're making,
For dirty news gets great reviews, and profits soar into the sky.
A famous actor dies, the photographs they take of friends
in mourning appall me;
I close my eyes, don't recognize the pain I'm seeing every day.

But you speak your mind
You make me think hard
I saw on the start
You think it's too hard
You color my world
A little more ever day
Singing clearer now

Don't you know
I'm thinking of you
You make me think hard
I feel the surprise

Reality bites