Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Persona and Shin Megami Tensei in General

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I noticed we had a thread for P4A, but not the series as a whole. I am fixing that right now.

Mainly because we just got a new trailer for Persona 5 this morning, revealing who seems to be our protagonist and confirming a release on both PS3 and PS4. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y5U8n4Ie3I

And like

Is it me

Or does he look a little like Katsuragi, Yosuke's friend from the city in the Persona 4: The Magician manga

cause he does

a lot

He's even at the stupid Shibuya crossing and Katsuragi's mentioned Shibuya

I'm just gonna joke that they're siblings.

Because really

THE%2BTRUTH.png

I'm onto you Atlus

Edited by Treemotan (see edit history)

Posted

Actually, there is one, but it's all the way on page 8. Didn't realize it'd been so long since someone had posted in it: http://www.hyrule.net/forum/topic/17889-shin-megami-tensei-and-other-atlus-games/

Not really that hyped. Anime opening confirms P5 will be terrible. The taimu sutapu is the only interesting part about the trailer because it (probably) shows one of the main features of the game. Well, and the PS4 release as well. I need more info to chew on, Atlus, come on. I need some MEAT. TRIAL OF THE DRAGON.

Man, when did they reveal P5. How long until the next trailer.

BREAKING NEWS: http://persona5.jp/

Checkydecky that rightmost chair's leggy. I checked the original video because I thought maybe the chain was released in that video, but it isn't, so maybe that implies four more trailers soon to be released. Or gruelingly over many months until its released. Hopefully the former. Probably character videos.

Posted

Muffin linked this on chat and I thought it was a lot more informative than the original trailer 

Posted

Huh. Guess I should get around to that franchise some time, huh?

Posted

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Megami Franchise: http://i.imgur.com/EJ9HRAz.png

In other words, play Persona 4 (or P4G), then play Shin Megami Tensei IV or Persona 3 FES/Persona 3 Portable. Then you can get into the meaty stuff, like Nocturne, Raidou, Digital Devil Saga, Strange Journey,  Persona 1, Persona 2: IS/EP, etc. And then you can finally play the original games because they're old as bananas and half of them aren't translated.

You can go about the franchise any way you want, really. All of them have the same core, literally. Every single one is about getting demons and fusing demons to make better demons to get more demons. Most of them aren't really grindy either because of that very mechanic, except for maybe the older ones? Even if you're not into the RPG stuff, the demons are all based off of real mythology, which I really enjoy about it. All the high level demons are some beast god with skills that back up their name. There's something nice about getting ghouls and fairies and nameless soldier mythological monsters in the beginning and then having gods like Seraph, Amaterasu, and Yggdrasil at the end of the game. Newer games also include their mythology stories, which is nice.

Also, Persona is more character/story based while the SMT franchise is more moral based, I guess you could call it. Persona definitely has the themes, but SMT is more serious about it in both the difficulty and message. SMT is also more about the gameplay. So play Persona stuff if you want to know what your characters are feeling rather than choosing which friend you're going to kill because their morals are different from yours, but you know they're good and you've spent the entire game with them. ;~;

But, yeah, if you have a PS3, go buy P4 on the PSN when it goes on sale, since they go on sale every other week along with all the other SMT games. I'm being serious about that, by the way. Double and I joke about it because they're barely ever not on sale.

Posted

Something that always suprised me is that people don't get everyone out alive whenever they play devil survivor 1. Its like, really really easy to make sure no one dies in that game.

Posted

Also, I should mention that the music in all of the games is amazing. Shoji Meguro is fantastic as well as the other composers that work on SMT that I don't know the name of. Strange Journey and SMT IV had wonderful soundtracks, especially Strange Journey. And for a series that basically does the same thing each game, the art styles and gameplay are always new and fresh in some way.

Also, there are giant robot enemies in P4... just to give you something to look forward to. ;;;;; ;)))))

Posted

*COUGH*

tumblr_nb951oyLoO1snazjco1_500.png

T1g and Treemotan like this