Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Star Wars

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Lets talk about Star Wars here!

Posted

We live in an age where star wars is referenced and parodied so often that by the time I finally sat down to watch all of a new hope, it was so draining and dull. And I had that impression just because I'd seen so many parodies of every last scene that it just felt like I'd already seen it a hundred times. I know those three movies are supposed to be some of the most important in film history, which is obviously why they're so culturally relevant. But I just can't bring myself to care about seeing five or six, even though I never have. Is anyone ever surprised anymore when they find out Darth Vader is Luke's Father?

Gotta admit though, I'm genuinely interested in the promise behind the new star wars trilogy. I mean, it'll be nice to have something new and potentially good, right?

Posted

I had a similar conversation a while back with Saha. He hadn't seen star wars and didn't have much cultural knowledge of it, I think this story was from years before, so he had someone get him episode 1, because, naturally Episode 1 is the perfect starting place right? Except not right. It was probably the worst way to start, and it soured him for a while. Then he got around to watching the original 3, and he really liked them.

This isn't exactly the same, but I see where you're coming from. A new hope is generally considered to be second best in the franchise, but I like Return of the Jedi better. After they escape from the Death Star it does sorta lose some of its momentum, which has to build back up as they prepare to destroy it. I can completely understand from the point you watched it, being bored.

That being said you picked the worst place to stop watching. Empire Strikes back is not only the best Star Wars movie, its one of the best Science fiction films. And knowing who Darth Vader is in no way detracts from the experience. The music is perfect, the story is paced perfectly the acting is fantastic. It hits a home run on EVERY mark. I'm having trouble describing how good it is because THATS HOW GOOD IT IS.

I watch it every few months just to try to make sure I'm not seeing it through rose tinted glasses, like, to see it objectively. Every time I've enjoyed it immensely and come away with something new. Return of the Jedi is also good with a few flaws, but if you watch empire, you'll want to watch Jedi for catharsis, even if you know how it ends.

I implore you sir, Watch Empire strikes back at least

T1g, pheonix561 and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

Actually, I sort of had the same experience as Saha. My first star wars movies were episodes 1-3, as they were released, so yeah I'll be that's a big part of it haha. If the empire strikes back is THAT GOOD, I'll definitely be sure to watch it.

Posted

Techfront, that club I hang out at after anime club sometimes, actually just watched return of the jedi last night

Posted

I watched A New Hope with Cascade and she wasn't that wild about it :x

I guess it's not for everyone even though it's a major trademark of our popular culture (calling it geek culture is silly to me but that's another story.)

Posted

Everyone should at least watch Empire. So much of what Star Wars is doesn't happen until it

Posted

The cracks begin to show a little with Episode VI, particularly with the Jabba the Hutt scene, but those dissipate and it turns good again.

Anyway yeah, what Necro said. Knowing the twist to something might detract a little from its value, but it's the buildup and follow-through that makes it fresh again and gives you full context. It's not like the whole movie is about the Darth Vader reveal. It's one part out of many that make the movies great.

Posted

Yeah I am pretty sure there was a whole mess of interesting twists leading up to that

Posted

I've loved Star Wars since I was young. I watched all the old ones like all the time when I was younger. Though I found out that I've never seen the originals, it's only the remastered I've seen. Someday I want to watch all the original films where there's no giant sand monster and where Han shot first.

As for the newer movies, I've seen those too and I loved them as well... sort of. When I was younger I actually liked Jar Jar, but not anymore. xD I really liked Phantom Menace, but I couldn't stand Attack of the Clones. There was too much romance and it wasn't even adorable romance, it was just awkward. Plus, I never remember what happens in the movie. I only remember the near ending with Yoda and Count Dooku. Finally, there's Revenge of the Sith, which is probably one of my favorite movies ever. I know a lot of older Star Wars fans hated it for one reason or another, but I really liked it.

I don't know about the newer movies though. I mean it's cool they're making three more, but I don't know how to feel about it.

Posted

Blu rays for the originals are apparently being made.

Posted

That's awesome. I wish I had a blu ray player now. xD Heck I might just get one for that reason. I mean DVD's may be obsolete soon anyway.

Posted

Plus Blu ray players also play DVDs. In most cases, they upscale them too.

Posted

I just got a ps3 instead lol

Posted

That also works. Better even, cause it comes with a ps3