Zelda 3DS version was bad

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What i liked about Ocarina of Time is that in the N64 version, ahead of its time. It looked really great and tried to add much to the realistic potential as possible. I mean you have medieval times, churches etc.

But in the 3DS version, the game feels so childish and more cutesy effect to it :/ I really don't like it. I mean the face could be that of a girl in the 3DS version.

I mean i love realism and when things looks cool. But much of Nintendo games now just looks to colorish and strange, same as Zelda Skyward Sword, the gameplay was fun but the graphics was so horrible that it made the game unapealing.

I think after Skyward Sword it went downhill, asuming that Nintendo probably don't feel like taking any chances anymore, since the Nintendo Wii sold very good i think. Which is the reason why i feel that, Nintendo feels so gimicky with WiiU etc. Although i think it has more fun games, than for example Xbox One and PS4 in its current status, if i had to compare. But then again atleast PS4 and Xbox One can make games look good. "Ryse: Son of Rome" game looks really good for example. Not saying to turn Zelda into a slash and fighting game, or one way fighting game (Hyrule Warriors, no pun intended)

But to have it in realistic graphics and just put new fun ideas were you explore and discover stuff. I love that :D

I mean, look how great it looks, looks real, good graphics...

maxresdefault3.jpg

but that was not the case :juggle:

zelda-screenshot-11.png?447b14

Edited by Rufia (see edit history)

Posted

oh my gosh are you a zelda fan pleeeeease stay, we need more of you :o

Yeah, from what I've heard they did a ton of market research on Zelda fans and this is the fruit of their labors I guess. Looks like a lot of people loved Wind Waker? Link is practically wearing the same blue outfit as he does on Outset. If guess if it makes more people happy let's try it out, and hope the rest of us find something in it we like?

Maybe we'll get more stuff like Skyward Sword, that game was wonderful.

Posted

The Wiiu didn't really start selling well, like really well, until this year, with the advent of lots of new games. I think a lot of people are more interested in a more colorful game because there is just so much brown and grey in games. There was a push for realism once, and now the pendulum has swung the other way.

T1g likes this

Posted

yeah i am 100% ok with this style for link. he has had the same god damn face for literally years. It is about time we mixed it up a bit, like in the good old days where he could have pink hair and that was ok.

As for realistic versus colorful, I would take colorful over realistic for zelda games any day. Have you seen Twilight Princess? I am sure its your favorite if this is the issue you are raising. The main problem with twilight princess is just how not memorable anything in it is. When people reminisce about things in zelda games that they loved, rarely do i hear anyone actually bring up twilight princess. So, just because it had a more "grown-up" look to it, doesn't mean it is automatically better, especially if what people consider "grown-up" is also the same as "losing your personality"

I don't mean to offend btw. Twilight Princess is still fun, i just tend to forget everything that happens in it.

Posted

I loved Twilight Princess. That game was the reason i got a Nintendo Wii in the first place :D. I wouldn't mind Twilight Princess 2 to say the least.

Posted

That's interesting, I think most people here are Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Wind Waker fans mostly. We don't have a lot of Twilight Princess fans (well we don't have a lot of Zelda fans period, or at least active ones). I guess I'm on the Ocarina of Time side? But I mostly advocate odd games like Link's Awakening or something more than anything else soooo it's a big tossup.

Posted

Japanese people like cute stuff and Americans like "tight" stuff

Posted

I thought we like "radical" stuff, or was that a 90's white guy culture thing

Posted (edited)

I thought we like "radical" stuff, or was that a 90's white guy culture thing

The 90s defines games :D

Crash Bandicoot, Spyro. Perfect example of making fun levels and still make it look good. Not too flashy or cutesy colorish, but in a realistic and in a fitting sense :)

Mega Man X6 is also a game i like too. I am disappointed in the new console generation to be honest. And its not because of games, its mostly that consoles have turned into Social media rubbish. Facebook. Are you kidding me?

With SNES, PS1 and PS2, atleast i could experience the game at 100%. Xbox 360 started well. I mean the old dashboard was awesome, and the idea of uploading your own music to the hard drive while playing games was genius. But as how things develop... it just gets odd. Maybe if SEGA made a Dreamcast 2 without the ads, and just made an awesome gaming console. But i dunno :D

Games rules though!

Posted

Crash Bandicoot, Spyro. Perfect example of making fun levels and still make it look good. Not too flashy or cutesy colorish, but in a realistic and in a fitting sense :)

Talking magical dragons and time-travelling experiments-gone-horribly-wrong are realistic? I want to live where you live, apparently in a 90's game.

Majora's Mask is my top favourite Zelda game, which in a way you could call the most realistic Zelda game? Not in a "anything-in-this-plot-would-be-remotely-feasible" way, but in how human-like and emotional the NPCs and their reactions were to the apocalypse during the course of the three days. It's really subtly portrayed and I wish more games could incorporate that feeling into their stories and worlds. More than anything else (gameplay, story, graphics etc, but for me these are all done very well in MM), it's the world MM is set in that makes it my absolute favourite Zelda. Rather than "everyone exists to do nothing apparently except to do the two-second thing they do the only time you talk to them" in most games.

Wind Waker and A Link Between Worlds are my other top three favourites. Which are definitely in the more cartoonish realm. But I think that style works a lot better for the series rather than Twilight Princess' style. I mean, Wind Waker is the most cartoony and it definitely has one of Zelda's more... subtle plots? It's kind of a downer of a story. Heart-string tugging wise. Hidden among the living cartoon and mostly-super saccharine characters. I really liked that a lot about WW. Alongside the wonderful selection of NPCs and fun overworld to explore. I dunno, I mean, each to their own but I don't feel like most people who don't like the graphics of WW don't really try to give it a chance anyways? They just immediately decry it as 'kiddish'. it's a lil' bit immature really. God the memories of the total outrage when Wind Waker was first revealed still make me laugh.

Twilight Princess is a good game on it's own, but I feel like it's a little bit of a let-down for a Zelda game. They focused too much on trying to appeal to the Western fanbase, who at the time were very unbearable on the graphics front. Which I feel led to a huge focus on WHOA YOU CAN FIGHT ON HORSEBACK NOW. WHOA YOU CAN BECOME A BADASS WOLF WHO RIPS MONSTERS THROATS OUT. WHOA EVERYONE IS ANGRYYYYY AND SERIOUSSSS and the gameplay kind of suffered for it. I still enjoyed it overall, but my main complaints are that the story is a bit "What the hell was the point of anything?", all the interesting new items (spinner. spinner is the major offender here) were never used outside their dungeons, and the world design was just. not as interesting and inviting to explore as much as the other games? Maybe because it was far too large? Hyrule Field should not be like twenty sections lol. The NPCs weren't anything interesting really... I only remember Agitha (thank GOD she is remembered via Hyrule Warriors I gotta buy that game sometime). And the yeti couple. Who else was important again. But yeah, not saying TP isn't allowed to be your fave, just that personally it failed for me because it, in my opinion, strayed a lot from what makes Zelda, well, Zelda for me.

And TP kind of bombed in the Japanese market anyways because it was too gritty-looking. So Nintendo is probably going to stick with the more successful cartoony artstyle anyways. SS is probably the best you're gonna get with mixing the cartoony with the realistic. Or Hyrule Warriors. because damn that is a beautiful-looking game.

I think this is the most words I've ever written about Zelda since like. the day I joined this forum lol. Oh how the time flies.

sage of sarcasm and Cirt like this

Posted (edited)

Talking magical dragons and time-travelling experiments-gone-horribly-wrong are realistic? I want to live where you live, apparently in a 90's game.

Only in the believable looking art style. Kinda like if you want to twist your bedroom into something cool :D

Posted

I won't go too much into it, but pretty much all I have to say is that realism doesn't make the game any better. Watch this video.

Skyward Sword and Wind Waker were both very strong aesthetically. Pretty much every Zelda game was. Their aesthetics have been consistently great without having to resort to gritty realism. Ryse may have looked good, but it wasn't on par with the quality of even Skyward Sword.

Teto likes this

Posted (edited)

I disagree. Realism put into a game makes it cooler looking. Its just when someone don't want to make a game fun that its lacking :D

Ocarina of Time was good for example. And i disliked Skyward Sword because the graphics were horrid, the gameplay was good though.

Posted (edited)

Skyward Sword's aesthetic didn't appeal to me. I said this when it came out: it looks like the graphics were subpar and then they're all like "no we meant for it to look like this, it's artistic!"

Wind Waker has a clear aesthetic. I'd say that Twilight Princess did, even if it was drab. At least more than Skyward Sword. 

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)
Rufia and SilverAlchemic like this