Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cirt is Definitely a Good Teacher

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay so thats a weird topic title but I was watching this phenomenal short film like all day today:

And, like, it's really really absurdly great, right? It's fantastic. But it really gets to me how much this teacher in this short film cares about his kids. Look at him when he's watching them at recess. He's so happy to watch them grow and learn and play and be happy! And all of his room is decorated with motivational posters and him being a really good teacher who cares about his kids and stuff. And I'm all "Hey Cirt's just like that except her kids are older!" Because Cirt cares! And he's comforting this scared little kid on the playground and I'm all "aw that could be cirt." And then there's the ending and its like oh jesus I hope this is never cirt. Cirt you are a great teacher and I hope you never have to go through what this teacher went through.

Man lately now that I'm ending school I'm looking at teachers like "Oh god these are people" and "I have peers who are teachers" and "These people actually genuinely care about education and teaching enough to go out and do it instead of do what I do and say things like 'the government should take money out of the military and put it into education' and not do anything else." I mean I always knew teachers didn't live at school and had lives and things but now I'm as old as some teachers and its like what the puppy is going on. I mean Damn Cirt I have a new level of respect for you and what you do. Like wow. My mind has just been sitting here being blown all day. Also this is a really great and fantastic short film please watch it.

Posted

oh

I really liked this film, though I like to think that the teachers aren't completely powerless in the face of parents lol. That's why teaching older kids is better - they DO know better when they do something wrong, it's hardly ever a question of naivety, so the teachers aren't held 340394830928% accountable. They do something wrong, and when the teachers approach parents about it, the parents (at my school, anyway) will give em a good booty kick when they get home.

I do love my kids, even though I've spent a very short 9 weeks with them so far. It's absurd for me to think about that sometimes. I was sitting with a student after school one day this week for forty-five minutes listening to him tell me about his life and why he was a problem student earlier this semester. He's a kid that I've had to show tough love to, and it was weird when I realized that he already readily trusted me with personal information even though I see him for 52 minutes five days a week. It was weird when I realized that he saw me as an adult and someone to approach when he needed someone to talk to. I guess we were all that way at some point, and somewhere along the way we learned how to exercise discretion and talk to only the people we really, really trust. 

It's weird for me when I walk down the halls and I am often greeted cheerfully by some of my students. They don't avoid eye contact, they smile and some of them (just girls usually) will come to hug me. It's nice to hear when they tell me I teach their favorite class, which means they look forward to coming and learning in my trailer everyday. Some of them will hang around after the bell rings to chat with me - I have a particularly lonely student who does this because she feels that she doesn't have friends, but I've complimented her a few times and for that, I've made a difference in her day because she probably goes through most of it unnoticed. I didn't even realize this until recently. It's like, when did I get so much influence? When did I become such a figure?

Despite this, though, I have my days where I am so tired and frustrated that I can hardly stand it. Last Friday was one of those days. I left school in such a rage, with so much pent up anger that I packed my things for the weekend at my boyfriend's in about fifteen minutes and left without saying goodbye to anyone. I drove in complete silence all 50 minutes, and when I got to his apartment I sat in the parking lot and cried for twenty minutes because I thought I couldn't do it anymore. My students had pushed me too much and I'm a very patient person usually, but I couldn't stand it this time. They absolutely drove me into a person that I was not, an angry, frustrated, spiteful person. I didn't want to go back to work this week. I didn't want to deal with all of the work that I do for them, every day, that I hardly get paid for. 

But it's worth it. For every moment of complete fuming rage, there are moments that I am thankful for. I have two very kind students that saw that I was very tired and exhausted with dealing with my behavior problems in their class. And they kept telling me, Miss Cirt, you've got to move the class around! I was at a loss of who to move where (because my trailer is very cramped), so I told them to help me make the seating chart after school. They were absolutely enthralled that I valued their opinions, and really, they had some good ideas! They honestly wanted to help me in the best way possible and really helped me validate some of the problems in the class. I was touched by their kindness and their genuine desire to be helpful. Kids like that seriously make the job worth it.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Yeah, I made this rambling thread because I'm just sort of dealing with the fact that I'm older now. I noticed recently when I watched Coraline with Cascade (which is also a really great underrated film, I was surprised), there's a scene where coraline says something angry to her mom and her mom is visibly hurt even though coraline doesn't notice, and I really felt bad for the mom there. I think I wouldn't have felt bad for her mother when I was a kid, but now I'm catching myself identifying with the older cast members nowadays. It's just kind of weird, looking at people like teachers and realizing "oh my god there are people my age who are teachers." It's something that you always know, but it never really hits you, you know? So now I'm looking at all my friends who are becoming teachers and I'm like Motherpuppyer I am one hundred and ten percent behind what you do, you are so puppying cool, holy shit. This was a weird thread I made without bothering to think about what I was writing. Anyways here's one of the many best parts of Coraline:

But yeah bro, I'm proud of you. I totally knew you could do it, and here you are doing it and you're still doing it because i know you can still do it, and you're going to keep doing it, and one day you're going to be a doctor of education in charge of like all of georgia or something, and it's because you're a good teacher.
Cirt likes this

Posted

Underated? It got quite a bit of acclaim when it came out as I remember

Posted

not enough though