Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Necro's Dark Sun DND Campaign

12 posts in this topic

Posted

ok I needed to make a thread because I can't find anywhere to put DND related

YYKkJ2D.png

here

Anyway so yeah we're in a campaign. (T1g, Ganny and I) We've only done one session, but we'll put stories here, probably.

Posted

Last week at this DnD group I go to, our DM threw a boss at us that he'd designed to be unbeatably strong. It was capable of doing like 50 damage per round, and he'd expected us to have to run within the first couple rounds. He didn't count on our wild mage basically one-shotting the boss in the first round, with everyone else picking off what remained of its health.

Earlier on in the campaign we met a ghost in a pyramid that warned us away from proceeding through the next door. He said something about being corrupted by power or some crap. I told him to puppy off and get out of our way, and he did. Apparently the ghost had a thought-out backstory that would have been revealed had we talked to him. Another instance of disappointing the DM.

Context of me telling him to puppy off: We're doing a monster campaign, meaning we just take monster builds and use those instead, and the DM helps us craft them into playable characters. We're living in a world where elves, dwarves, halflings, humans, etc. are all committing mass genocide on all monster races. The ghost was human, so I didn't have any time for that.

I'm quite new to DnD really, and I haven't played many characters. It's fun trying to get into the head of a character I create, but in the moment while playing I naturally slip and end up playing them a certain way, no matter what my character was meant to be like. Generally I just end up being an impatient and irrational player. I've had 3 characters that I got into.

One was just a 40 year old ex-hermit who didn't like smart people.

Second was a sorceress who was meant to be recluse and methodical, but eventually fell under the influence of a demonic ring which the DM told me made her impatient and irrational. I stayed under its influence for basically the whole campaign, so nobody actually understood that I was doing something different, as the ring's influence was a secret to everyone but me.

Right now I'm a Birdman Paladin of Freedom (I characterise myself as an eagle in my head). Being a Paladin I'm meant to advocate good, but since I'm hanging around with morally questionables, it makes it hard to keep up a believable moral code. I'm Chaotic Good, so basically as long as I can see a reason why something is being done in the name of freedom, then I'm good. Thing is, literally anything can be phrased as "restricting someone else's freedom" or "expressing one's freedom". It's a pain.

On the note of DnD system, what one are you playing? In the past I've played: DnD 3.5, DnD 4E, Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and 13th Age. 13th Age is definitely the easiest to learn, and much simpler than the other systems. Cthulhu and Runequest are really similar. The one I've played most is Warhammer, which I really like because it's based mainly on intrigue over battling. I also like rolling percentiles because D100s are nice.

I've been interested in doing a campaign of my own sometime, but I need to get through my 13th Age rulebook before I can really get my imagination going. 13th Age is really nice, as it gives you a lot to work with without it being very complicated. None of the settings are very specifically detailed, and you can decide how the world works to suit your campaign. Same goes for the 'idols', who are a group of maybe 7 or 8 public figures (or concepts in the case of the likes of Prince of Shadows), who can influence and guide you on your campaign. Yet another way for the DM to switch up the game.

A system I'm really interested in is Eclipse Phase. Unfortunately my group back home is currently doing a campaign with this, and I can't be a part of it. Like Saha you'll understand at least; It's Kaiba, but grittier. Transhumanity, with people buying and selling real or synthetic bodies, and everybody is stored digitally and beamed from planet to planet, eliminating a need for interstellar travel. Just get a new body ready for you at your destination, and go! Shame though, since the universe is so miserably puppyed up. Other sentient life forms exist in the universe canonically, but they've actually quarantined the human race, and have collectively decided that they want nothing to do with us. That and the open-ended plot point that everybody has evacuated earth, but nobody knows what it was that attacked and took over the planet. Like, you could say it was a robot uprising, or maybe a tactical sabotage by alien races to spread the human race more thinly throughout space, with no secure hub allowing them to worsen more rapidly? But I'd need to really know how the world is set out before I could think about that.

Handy thing about Eclipse Phase is that the people themselves offer the rulebook and supplements as pdf completely for free, so hey, if you're interested: http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/

T1g likes this

Posted

We run 5th edition. Also, we totally finished my DnD campaign, and the stories about what happened never got posted (I am still, to this day, waiting for one of the players to post about the stealth mission that was awesome)

Posted

Which one was the stealth mission?

Posted

Just bullet point your whole campaign until you remember the funny bits.

Story that I've probably told already?:

Warhammer Fantasy campaign, playing as my 50 year old irrational human character. Mounting impatience with the rest of the party, being in a group who slowly think through their next move for what feels like half an hour at a time. We had to stop some cultists. One of the cultists who appeared to be having second thoughts invited us to his house. Our group considered that this might be a trap, and we got to discussing how to approach the situation. I just wanted stuff to happen, so I decided by myself that this would be a good idea: Protect ourselves by causing chaos in the area where we're going, to confuse our potential attackers. So I went to the nearest bar and started ranting about how the world is in darkness, and it's all because of the rich, and that we should strike back against them. I rallied the drunks and we rushed and looted the market before heading onto the wealthy district of town. The faceless mob raged out of control and raided while we went on ahead into the house, to find that it wasn't actually a threat. The mob was eventually subdued, but hundreds died. 

The group made it a rule that I don't act on my own anymore, but the DM enjoyed himself. He thrived on going off the written material.

Posted

Necro the stealth mission was the part where you guys snuck into the pirate camp and hatched convoluted plans to rescue hostages

Posted

Been working weekends consistently for the last month, save days where I am otherwise indisposed.

Posted

A couple quotes from the DND session I am now a part of:

Alayna: Can we talk to the goblins?

Riddlepaw: Oh, I have Speak With Animals.

Me: They speak Common, you RACIST! 

Me: I fling myself spinning through the air to take position behind the rock, leaving a spiraling trail of vomit in my wake, take aim with my pimp cane as I sputter out the last of my bile with the Deep Speech equivalent to "bitchass", and cast Eldritch Blast on the southwest Goblin.

Posted

This was a story i found on the internet that is pretty great

It was a few days after April first and I was feeling a little mischievous (well, a little more than usual).

The session before, the group I was DM for had entered a cursed farmland that was basically churning out Zombies of unusual height and stature. After a grueling fight we cut the session short.

So this time I asked them where they wanted to camp.

"We will camp here," One said.

"In the field you just fought all those Zombies in?" I ask.

"Well, there are no Zombies around now, right?" Another says.

"Roll your spot check," I say.

They make their spot checks and I tell them they don't see any Zombies around, so they feel safe enough to set up camp. The Ranger takes first watch and makes his rolls. He rolls decent enough and sees some Zombies in the distance, but he rolls a 1 on his listen check, which really helped sell what happened next.

Zombie arms pop out of the ground and begin grappling with him. He can only break free from one, so he calls out. The rest of the party rolls for listen checks, but only the Wizard and Barbarian hear it. More Zombie arms pop out of the ground.

The Barbarian makes all his grapple checks and frees himself, but the Wizard isn't so lucky.

"Can I cast a spell," she asks?

"You used all your spells the last battle and haven't had a full rest yet," I say.

The Cleric and Paladin wake up to being fully grappled by three Zombies. The Paladin summons his Warhorse right away, which is suddenly grappled by two Zombies. The Ranger and Warhorse manage to break free, but before they can help their comrades, the earth begins to tremble and fissures appear under the whole party.

The Ranger, Barbarian, and Warhorse make all their reflex saves, but the rest of the party fall in.

The Barbarian immediately decides to jump in the fissure and the Paladin calls his Warhorse.

I ask the Ranger what he does next.

He asks, "What do I see?"

"As you look around you see an endless sea of Zombies."

"I jump in the fissure," he says.

Now the entire party is in freefall and it starts out too dark to see. It begins to burn brighter and brighter. The Ranger looks down and sees a giant lake of fire.

He then says, "I cast entangle to catch everyone." If he hadn't cast it in the previous battle, he might have saved the party with that.

I describe them getting closer and closer, feeling the heat of the fire, and I watched the panic rise in their eyes. "...and then you hit the fire, and wake up. It was just a dream. April fools!"

The Wizard rolled up her notebook and hit me with it.

Also, at the rate things are going I am just going to be the one who hosts the next DnD Campaign. I am already brainstorming ideas. Again. One day I will get to be a player in a campaign that lasts more than 4 sessions. One day.

Posted

I'm more of a World of Darkness tabletopper, but DnD is pretty cool.How exactly would it work online though?

Posted

Well. this specific campaign never really took off,  but we use the Roll20 as our tabletop, (complete with custom sprites by yours truly). We play over a skype call