Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Metroid Series

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't think we have a thread for this, or at least, I don't remember one. Anyone played any Metroid games?

I myself have played  both GBA games, Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion, as well as Other M.

Cirt likes this

Posted

I've played and finished nearly all of them besides the original, Other M, and Hunters. Although, Hunters doesn't matter. I'm going to play Other M sometime soon, which probably equates to a few months.

I finally finished Metroid Prime 3 a couple weeks ago though. It was probably the easiest Metroid in terms of collectables, but it was still satisfying in really intense fights like the other two in the trilogy. The Space Pirates are always just a small nuisance in the other Metroid games. Here, they're so menacing and terrifying to be locked in a room with. I love it when thinking about it, but hate it when I have to deal with it, in a good way. The Metroid Prime series just did an amazing job converting the 2D Metroid experience to 3D. Really have to hand it to Retro.

Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 1, and Metroid Prime 2 are probably some of my most favorite games I've ever played. I really love the depth they go into with the games. The amount of exploration you can do. The skips and sequence breaks (Although, probably most unintentional). The exciting boss battles. The awesome upgrades. Everything about them is just fantastic.

It's such an amazing series, man. I wish there were more. I want to see some news on the next game already.

Posted

I've never beaten one besides Hunters. hunters was really fun for what it was, though.

Posted

Actually, Metroid Fusion is unique in that it has only one sequence break, they went through the trouble of making sure you couldn't do any. Additionally, the single sequence break was noted and accounted for, you can't progress using it, but you do get an easter egg.

Doing this sequence break is INSANELY difficult by the way

Posted

Yeah, I know about that. I think I probably tried to do the first part of it and just wasn't up to it. The amount of insane Shine Sparks you can do in Fusion and Zero Mission is just amazing. And you can even do them while in Morph Ball mode.

Speaking of that though, I should've also mentioned I love the speedruns and TASes of the Metroid games. The amount of thought and planning that go into them are just as amazing to watch as playing the game itself. 100% speedruns/TAS for the games are something to behold. Some of the most impressive speedruns/TASes are of Metroid games.

But, yeah, it's sad that they kind of took out the sequence breaks from Metroid Prime 3 and Fusion. The older games are still strong in that department though. Some of the things you can do early in a few of the games is just hilarious. Like getting into Tourian in the original by sliding an enemy into the room that requires a bridge to cross it. Or getting the High-Jump Boots in Metroid Prime 1 at the beginning of the game with a Dash Jump (Scanning something and quickly strafe jumping left/right) off the ship to a ledge. Or getting Power Bombs early by going out of bounds in Metroid Prime 2.

Or just infinite bomb jumping/wall-jumping in the 2D games to get to places you normally shouldn't be able to access.

I love this franchise too much. Nabe actually linked a game that's coming out/is out on the 3DS eShop that's like a combination of Metroid and Wario Land for the Virtual Boy/Donkey Kong Country Returns where you jump between the front plane and the back plane.

Looks pretty neat.

なべ likes this

Posted

I feel that I am constantly in progress playing some Metroid game or another. I've got a Prime 2 file barely started and just lost the motivation to play it (it's kind of a lonely game). Beat Prime 1, played a bit of Corruption once, played Fusion

I made a blog post about this too, about why Samus is my main chica.

I'll come back to this thread as I am not in a state to be reading and comprehending

なべ and pheonix561 like this