Thotes on SMG/SMG2

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I originally wrote this on Zelda Dungeon so I'm copy/pasting it here because bugger if I'm gonna rewrite it.

Recently I went back to playing Super Mario Galaxy after I bought a haunted copy that turns all the character models upside down and all the Toads were replaced with static images of Miyamotos eyeless mug. Now I'm a person who never thought they'd ever enjoy a 3D Mario game after being sorely dissapointed with the wrong-answer that is Super Mario Sunshine, but upon booting up Mario Galaxy for the first time I was floored by the blindingly grandiose title screen. Seriously that's the reason my left eye exploded and I get to have a cool eyepatch and pretend I'm Big Boss.

But I digress.

Mario Galaxy for me is such a magical and captivating experience. All the colours are vibrant without killing your one remaining eye, the music does a stellar (no pun intended) job of capturing the feel of your designated locale, all the sound effects sound so crisp and delicious as if you had just bitten into a fresh apple made of Mega Mushrooms, and the gameplay is smooth and fluid like woah. The difficulty curve is perfectly suitable for anybody, making it a very accessible game if you give two damns about that stuff UGH.

The sequel, Mario Galaxy 2, was more of the same but nicer looking and with Yoshis. Because all it really is is an expansion of Mario Galaxy 1 I just lump the two together as one game.

But yeah, Mario Galaxy is super cool MAN, and if you don't like it you most certainly drool.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

I 100% Mario Galaxy, but I only beat the main game in Mario Galaxy 2, as it was something I had checked out from the library and didn't have enough time to go through and do everything

Posted

I regret selling my SMG1. I totally frlt the same way about it, though. I love "space" music and it captured that perfectly (Like music for space levels, not a genre). And it was upbeat, too. It was so colorful and pretty. I am gonna play them, or one of them this winter.

Cirt also was talking about these two games for a while. You should talk to her about them.

Posted

Now I'm a person who never thought they'd ever enjoy a 3D Mario game after being sorely dissapointed with the wrong-answer that is Super Mario Sunshine

You really didn't like SMS? I'm always really shocked to meet people who didn't enjoy sms. What was wrong with it?

Jareddude likes this

Posted

Super Mario Sunshine has a Grand Total of 240 Major Flaws.

they are called Blue Coins

Jareddude and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Super Mario Sunshine was the only time I felt like a Mario game was being too weird. Isle Delfino or whatever the setting is called had to be established as this really tame and relaxed vacation resort but then you have all this wacky stuff going on. Like, the first time I went to Gelato Beach the mission had me water a plant to make a sandcastle pop out of the ground, and then walking through the gate of the castle put me in an alternate dimension for some reason? And there's another warp to an alternate dimension in Delfino Plaza's front door to the police station? Actually pretty much all the "secret" places were the problem I guess, it was all just too weird.

Posted

Guys have you not tried to collect all the blue coins was I the only one who wanted all 120 shine sprites

Posted

I collected all the 240 Blue Coins!!! But I had the help of a pre-order guidebook thing that told you where and how to get everything in the game so I didn't get too tripped up by all the bullshit ones. My favourite being the SPRAY THE MOON IN THIS ONE VERY SPECIFIC LEVEL. Or any in the volcano level where you have to control the nightmare somehow-impervious-to-lava boat to get them. Who thought these were a good idea. 

Other than those SMS is a delightfully weird game. How can you hate on a game where Bowser turns into a goofy sitcom dad and whose evil plan is to have a peaceful family holiday inside a volcano? And where Princess Peach literally had to stop and think, "is this dragon-turtle baby actually my child?" for a few minutes. Y'all freaks.

The SMG games are ridiculously fun. The only parts I didn't enjoy really were any time you had to help a lazy robot f uck clean up trash where he'd literally kill you if you didn't do it fast enough, or the entirety of SMG2's bonus world, lol. Rehash, unfun, less-difficult, more-intensely annoying. But yeah overall they're both really well-designed games in nearly every regard. Kind of want to replay one of them now...

pheonix561 and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

I collected all the 240 Blue Coins!!! But I had the help of a pre-order guidebook thing that told you where and how to get everything in the game so I didn't get too tripped up by all the bullshit ones. My favourite being the SPRAY THE MOON IN THIS ONE VERY SPECIFIC LEVEL. Or any in the volcano level where you have to control the nightmare somehow-impervious-to-lava boat to get them. Who thought these were a good idea.

I REFUSED TO USE A GUIDE. GUIDES SHOULD NOT BE MANDATORY TO BEAT A GAME. I ONLY GOT LIKE 220 PLUS OR MINUS A FEW.

Posted

Guys have you not tried to collect all the blue coins was I the only one who wanted all 120 shine sprites

I got all of them. *Shudders*

Posted

I remember having just one disappointment with Super Mario Galaxy:

No Dimentio

:sadlink:

Posted

knuckle not only is Dimentio dead but I feel like SPM came out after SMG.

On a side note, this popped out of my Suggested Youtube videos

We should just make this the generic Mario thread because I am pretty sure thats what it is now.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Man don't even get me started on "dead" in the Mario Universe I killed Petey Piranha like three hundred times.