Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ask a stupid question.......

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well that is a much better answer than i was expecting, because without knowing that i did get the feeling that wizards were allways isolating themselves because they were arrogant pricks. Like rereading the books when im older gives me the feeling that the whole "we wizards are higher beings" is almost like a core principle that the wizarding community was founded on, and most of the characters believe this to some degree, death eater or not.

I remember a scene where Harry goes to the magical hospital and asks Ron if there are surgeons, and Ron laughs and says something along the lines of, "no way! Those practices are crazy. We heal things the right way here." Clearly Ron knows something about muggle medical practice, which makes you wonder about the ethics of witholding valuable healing practices from muggles just for the sake of secrecy. Maybe im reading too far into it but the secrecy thing always seemed kind of hard for me to believe, without conceding that the whole governing system was deeply flawed.

Edited by Brodongo (see edit history)
SilverAlchemic and Knuckle like this

Posted (edited)

Well, yeah. Wizarding society is pretty prickish in general, for reasons I've highlighted. Persecution leads to persecution, albeit not necessarily in the same form. It's gotten better by the modern day, I.E., people not necessarily outright hating Muggles or Muggle-borns for the most part, especially considering that by the 1900's most if not all wizard families are half-blood or have some muggle ancestry in the bloodline (comments from both Hagrid and Sirius support this, along with Rowling herself stating that if there are any truly pureblood families left, they are few and far between), but still not necessarily understanding non-magical society as a whole, as seen with Arthur Weasley. He understands very little about the non-magical world, comically so, but clearly does not show any hatred or dislike towards them. Exceptions exist, obviously, such as Muggle-borns or those who are married to Muggles or have Muggle or Squib relatives (in the case where Squibs attempt to integrate into Muggle society as opposed to being a second-class citizen in the wizarding world) and would logically have a better grasp and treat muggles as equals. They'd have to. 

And as for the surgeon thing, it might not necessarily be a more effective healing practice. It's likely just another matter of perspective and wizarding world arrogance (or ignorance), both in terms of withholding it and also seeing it as superior. I mean, yeah, they might not be cutting someone up, but at the same time a scalpel is a lot less likely to backfire and turn the patient inside-out than a wand that is being temperamental (because they are, in fact, semi-sentient) or magical misfire because magic can be dodgy. And then you have things like basilisk venom that, as far as wizards know, can only be cured with the tears of a phoenix, but with our technology today we could probably analyze it at its most basic compounds and toxins and maybe come up with some kind of antivenom, or countermeasure at the very least. I might be oversimplifying toxicology there, but the point still stands.

And what governing system, magical or not, isn't deeply flawed?

Edited by Treemotan (see edit history)
Knuckle, SilverAlchemic and Cascade like this

Posted

LL do you still want to live in this magical world of arrogance, pricks, prejudice and corruption?

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I couldn't ask for more

I'm all about that

Posted

Well I mean not like it's any worse than the world today anyways.

eyooooo