Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Awesome Games Done Quick

35 posts in this topic

Posted

so i just saw this thing. whats it about?

Posted

Awesome Games Done Quick is a charity event where people do speedruns of video games. It goes on for a week and is balls to the wall crazy as hell. All of it is livestreamed and follows a schedule, linked on the first page. People donate to charity and they read off donations and comments while they are playing

Posted

Not just any charity though. They do it for the Prevent Cancer Foundation and have consistently been raising over a million dollars each event for the past two years now, I believe. It has slowly been getting more and more popular each year. I remember when they held the event at a very generous speedrunner's house because it was so small and their goal was something like $50,000 or $100,000. It's amazing how far they've come.

They also have donation incentives that make sure they get some money, but also to allow the viewers to actually participate in a way instead of just watching. The most popular being a bid war between saving or killing the animals in Super Metroid, but there are others as well that make someone do something extra in a popular game or just naming a character(s) in a game.

Basically, it's just a really fun event with fun people (for the most part) raising money to prevent cancer by playing video games really fast and usually ends up being hilarious. Sometimes, they do other charities though, like the Autism... uh... awareness or prevention? foundation or Doctors Without Borders. I feel like they're going to stick with PCF from now on though, since it's such a big deal for many people above others.

T1g likes this

Posted

That's super cool. I wish I could donate but my girlfriend wont let me have the monis.

Posted

AGDQ has consistently been about raising money for cancer prevention with the Prevent Cancer Foundation. 

SGDQ, or Summer Games Done Quick, has consistently been about raising money for Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders) which sounds really Metal Gear now that I say it out loud. It even has the same acronym...MSF. 

Anyway, I LOVE watching speedruns. I've even implemented some speedrunning techniques when I want to get a Platinum trophy in my games (for example, this AGDQ they did Uncharted: Drake's Fortune in just over an hour and the difficulty-based trophies will still unlock with the tricks/glitches). Overall, speedruns are just entertaining in general. Seeing a game I love broken to all hell is really cool.

Posted

I remember jokingly suggesting a speedrun of animal crossing years ago, I'm really shocked and yet somehow not surprised to see somebody actually doing it.

Posted

SGDQ, or Summer Games Done Quick, has consistently been about raising money for Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders) which sounds really Metal Gear now that I say it out loud. It even has the same acronym...MSF. 

Right, I forgot about that. I couldn't figure out why I was remembering them doing so many charity fundraising.

Also, yeah, they even put a disclaimer before Peace Walker that it has no relation to Doctors Without Borders and another thing with MFS as its acronym.

You guys not realizing that there's a speedrun of everything though... There's a guy that speedruns Persona 4 100%. There's a guy that speedruns Yugioh: Forbidden Memories, which has a range of 4 to 10 hours of completion, depending on your luck. There are people that speedrun the more recent Final Fantasies, which range from 7 to 11 hours depending on the game, except XIII and its sequels, which are surprisingly fast.

The joke speedruns are the best though. They did a block of those yesterday with the "Awful Games Done Quick" part of the block.

Posted

It's somewhat disappointing when games I like were being played in the morning. Like Spyro was on earlier but there wasn't any crowd love for the skill, which is all part of the joy of AGDQ.

Posted

I'm dying, man.

Teto likes this

Posted

The nerd factor was high in most speedruns. I show disdain for overzealous nerdy people due to my subconscious feeling of superiority over them. I do not like to see fun being had by those I perceive to be beneath me.

I liked when the 20K Viewers left. 

pheonix561 and Fierce Muffin like this

Posted

The exact opposite can be found in this video:

I watched it after the very boring finale last night and it made me appreciate the marathon. Wish I watched this instead of having it muted. Some of the things they do are amazing. I wish the marathons had more games like these where they show off the player's true skill. I still do enjoy the long games with cutscenes and so do a lot of others, but things like this are what truly amazes people. At least me.

T1g likes this

Posted

I got to watch the Super Metroid speedrun "race" for the most part but bailed after a surprise skype call. Did they kill the animals or save them?

Posted

Knuckle I would LOVE to tell you, but you should actually just watch it on youtube yourself to find out how it goes. Its crazy.

Posted

It's actually hilariously depressing.

2SYonun.png2SYonun.png2SYonun.png2SYonun.png2SYonun.png

(For an hour)