Fascinating Facts

105 posts in this topic

Posted

Have you ever watched the MTV series Pimp My Ride and thought "How did they fix those cars so quickly and look how cool they are! " well you can stop thinking that right now.

Most of the "Pimped" cars were purely cosmetic with refurbished parts that barely functioned. Many cars broke down.

And the repairs were filmed over several months.

Posted

Before Superman was Superman there was this.

Reign_of_the_Superman.jpg

This is not the heroic do-gooder from Krypton, he is a frail Telepathic villain with a bald head (Think Professor X but with Magneto's Megalomania). Superman as we know him didn't appear until five years later.

superman1.jpg

Posted

movie_trailer_post_image.jpeg

Have you ever wondered why the previews seen before movies are called Trailers? They originally showed them after the movie but people would often miss them due to leaving during the credits. Then someone got the idea to put them before the film, however the nickname stayed.

Agent Zako, SilverAlchemic and Teto like this

Posted

oh dude yeah I remember having an old Disney VHS with the previews at the end of the movie. It had a trailer for Princess Mononoke, and I thought it looked rad.

Posted

Actor Bill Murray doesn't have an Agent. If a filmmaker wants to cast him they have to call his 800 number and leave a voicemail with details about the project. If Murray is interested he'll call back to set up an audition.

ghostbusters-bill-murray-peter-venkman-H

SilverAlchemic, T1g, Teto and 1 other like this

Posted

Have you ever used WD-40 to fix a squeaky door or loosen a rusted screw? The product's name might seem weird until you realize that it means "Water Displacement, 40th attempt"

WD-40-Can-200ml-MUP_2013.jpg

In the 1960's Pan American Air Lines began selling tickets for future flights to the Moon.

Pan-Am-Moon-Flight-Ticket-Front.jpg

There is a town in Austria called F*cking that has tried unsuccessfully for years to change it's name.

fucking-austria09.jpg

pheonix561, Teto and T1g like this

Posted

Have you ever watched Back to the Future and said "Man I would love to have a Delorean of my very own!" Well you can. After the Delorean Motor Company folded in 1985 their remaining stock of parts went into receivership and was purchased by a company based in Austin Texas. The New Delorean Motor Company (DMC) creates new DMC Deloreans from the 1980 stainless steel shells but with modern equipment inside. For a few (thousand) bucks more they will even create for you a screen accurate replica of the Back to the Future Delorean Time Machine.

DeLorean+Pics+005.jpg

wm_doc_brown_house_delorean_car_copy.4y4

About four years ago I saw a Red Delorean in a used car dealership in my hometown of Enfield Connecticut. It was bought very fast. The New DMC scours used car dealerships and spare parts auctions for cars or parts to refurbish and get ready to sell to new owners.

Maine is the closest US state to Africa

facts-hard-to-believe-3.jpg?w=550&h=324

Posted

North Korea continually sends threatening faxes to the South.

fax_machine.jpg

Posted

Laura Bush, Matthew Broderick, Ted Kennedy and Bruce Jenner are all celebrities with one thing in common, they have all killed someone while behind the Wheel.

Posted

I think Halle Berry did too

Posted

The name Häagen-Dazs is absolutely meaningless. They are made up words that are meant to appear Scandinavian.

Haeagen-Dazs.v7256.png

il_570xN.283712461.jpg

This is the Lazy Bones, the first television remote created by Zenith in 1950.

The drawing of Rose (Kate Winslet) from Titanic was drawn by director James Cameron.

rose_and_dimond_.jpg

Posted

The symbol for New Zealand's Air Force is a Kiwi, a flightless Bird.

B2zh3cOIQAAt3XK.png

Teto and T1g like this

Posted

that's adorable as heck

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

starry-night.jpg

This is the famous painting The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh it was painted in June of 1889 from his room in the Saint-Paul Asylum in Saint-Rèmy-de-Provence.

Posted

There was a book called "Futility, The Wreck of the Titan" about the ill fated maiden voyage of a cruiseliner that hit an iceberg and sank in the North Atlantic. The eerie thing is the book was written in 1898, over a decade before the Titanic sank in 1912.

51shX83DARL.jpg

u19_00000003.jpg

This is Cardiff Tower in Los Angeles California, it looks like just another pretentious high rise but it is actually a hollow shell covering a massive Oil Derreck. LA sits atop a vast oil reserve.