Fascinating Facts

105 posts in this topic

Posted

The name Wendy was traditionally a boy's name. It didn't gain prominence as a girl's name until Peter Pan (The Novel).

Peter_Pan_and_Wendy_by_SkeletonStockings

Posted

did u kno: a day on vernus is longer than a yearr on vernus ( ` u `)

tumblr_lnenqxmj0d1qiw26m.jpg

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

US Treasurer Alexander Hamilton (the guy on the $10 Bill) was killed by Aaron Burr, a former vice president. This happened during a duel.

ten_dollar_bill.jpg

Posted

He was also born in the Caribbean

Posted

I've studied the matter somewhat and the conclusion is iffy. On one hand, duels were generally for show and not intended to end fatally for someone, so yeah you could argue that Burr killed an unsuspecting Hamilton who was just there to fire a gun in his general direction. On the other hand though, Hamilton pretty much walked into that place prepared to die, not to mention that he hated Burr and would have gladly put a bullet in him. We can't know what Hamilton's motives were, just that Burr was nearly certain his life was in danger; he took a sideways stance during the duel in order to decrease the amount of his body Hamilton would be able to aim at. Burr's actions were observable and reflect a more serious duel to the death, so I'd say Hamilton just lost and wasn't shockingly killed out of the blue.

EDIT: aaaand I just realized that you called Hamilton president as a joke. Guess I should pay attention before I go on a history lesson/rant :sadlink:

Posted

Herbert Hoover, the 31st president of the United States donated his entire salary of his 47 years in Government to charity.

Herbert_Hoover_-_NARA_-_532049.jpg

Posted

I'll admit I don't know much about Hoover, but I also know he was the guy they named "Hoovervilles" after during the depression. Knowing he donated all his government money to charity strikes me as something somebody would do if they had a really long, really bad run in the government and was trying to make up for it in the public eye.

Posted

People vilify him because they think the depression is his fault sometimes. The way I've come to understand it is he was just using nineteenth century methods to solve a 20th century catastrophe. Lowering taxes and shrinking the influence of the government worked before industrialization; people could just support themselves on their farms until the economy got itself back in shape, and decreasing taxes and government programs tended to aid that process. What Hoover didn't get with his "rugged individualism" (his term for the old way of doing things) is that people were more reliant on their wages to survive than they had been even a few decades ago, especially if you were an urban immigrant buying his or her food with a paycheck alone. So yeah, he stuck to the old method of "back off and wait for it to fix itself" and that kind of came back to haunt him when FDR moved in and make him look like the Antichrist or something (maybe not intentionally).

As for what actually caused the depression? Poor consumer choices; people were just as in the dark as Hoover when it came to properly managing a brand new, high stakes economy. Nobody really understood the relationship between credit and stocks yet when they went and bought shares on the market with money they didn't even have. I don't really know much about economics but I feel like the cause based on research is, lots of people spent money that wasn't theirs (credit) on a product with value that didn't really exist (overpriced stocks).

SilverAlchemic and pheonix561 like this

Posted

See, it's times like this I am really thankful we have a history guy on the forums.

Knuckle and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

Stanley Martin Lieber (Stan Lee) has been the easily recognisable face of Marvel films since 2000. Coincidentally this was the year Lee left Marvel, he has absolutely no connection to the company today.

Posted

See, it's times like this I am really thankful we have a history guy on the forums.

Always glad to help :D

Posted

No word in the English language rhymes with 'mouth', 'Orange', 'silver' or 'purple'.

Posted

Or Curple

Posted

If coke didn't have coloring it would be green.