Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pocahontas makes generalization about an entire race of people after meeting one white guy for five minutes

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I guess the point of the Pocahontas movie is to show that we shouldn't judge people for having a different culture. So John Smith is on the boat and he's like, "I've seen dozens of new worlds, what makes this one any different?" He is pointing out that he has visited many places and seem a lot of different cultures. So he has the most experience with people that you'd call "savages". 

So then when Pocahontas and John Smith meet, he says the word "savage" to her and she gets pissed off. It's understandable that she's mad. So Pocahontas sings a song to him that's supposed to like, show him that she has experiences with things that are totally foreign to him. I don't really know if it disproves the title of "savage", really though. 

•Okay so as of now, we have John Smith, a well-traveled English sailor who has firsthand experience with dozens of cultures around the world. 

•We also have Pocahontas, a high-class princess who often skips out of working to go play. She has met exactly one white person in her entire life. She actually just found out that you can be anything but Indian. 

Pocahontas sings a song to John Smith, telling him what he believes in and how destructive his culture is, based on five minutes of talking to him. She assumes a puppyton about him and about his entire culture.

I know the movie had good intentions and it's probably the sacred cow of NINETIES KIDZ Tumblr hipsters, but like, this message is actually pretty terrible

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)
Sahaqiel, Jareddude and T1g like this

Posted

I remember watching an episode of Arthur and being annoyed because Arthur got a new purple bike and he didn't want to ride it because purple is a girl's color, and later he started riding the bike because he learned purple is the color of royalty so it's okay for dudes to use it.

It's like, no. You shouldn't have to justify that. The real message should have been "this is an arbitrary association and people should be able to like certain colors and things without fear of judgment" not "justify your way out of perceived femininity because you're totes not gay, bro".

In Pocahontas' case, I just assumed she'd heard stories from her father/other tribes, since they knew about guns and stuff. But yeah, it's funny how media can lack self-awareness like that.

LLmao ?✊? and Jareddude like this

Posted

This pertains to a lot of topics I get pissed at for no reason

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted (edited)

Anybody that takes shits in the woods is a savage. Has nothing to do with race. Not much room for debate there.

She can get offended, then sing and dance around the issue, but we have to draw the line somewhere. She's a savage. That's grounds for invasion. Good takeaways from both sides but Pocahontas loses this one.

Edited by Brodongo (see edit history)
pheonix561 and Cirt like this

Posted

When you play the game of toilet thrones, you win or you shit outside.

Brodongo is a man who feels very strongly about where and how one should shit.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

I guess the Pope is a savage?

Posted (edited)

You would be an idiot to tread on the of topic shitting lightly. After all, it's shaped the course of human history.

The end of nomadic tribes and hunting and gathering? The age of agriculture? Industrialization? All economic revolutions propagated in large part by man's desire to shit in greater comfort.

Making a bed is easy. Making a septic system takes resources.

Also Pheo, how did you even remember I said that? That was 2 and a half years ago.

Edited by Brodongo (see edit history)
pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I often think back on the things you say and chuckle to myself on account of your wit

Posted

We really need to look to the future of shitting. I mean, toilets are great, but if the toilets of today are a measure of our success as a modern culture, the toilets of tomorrow have to be even better.

Posted

We really need to look to the future of shitting. I mean, toilets are great, but if the toilets of today are a measure of our success as a modern culture, the toilets of tomorrow have to be even better.

A modern day Pocahontas would respond to this disgustingly ignorant post as follows,

"That's an incedibly insensitive statement for you to say, Necropolis, and your close minded ignorance can only be exceeded in repulsiveness by the filthy cess pool of white america that supports your position blindly. As a woman of the twenty first century, I was born and raised on porcelain and am proud to honor the tradition of pooping in the toilet bowls passed down by ancestors. Unclogging my first toilet was a right of passage. Replacing these last relics of our sacred way of life with fancy hydraulic ass washers will flush away a way of life that we, the opressed, have fought so fiercly to preserve. "

pheonix561 likes this