41 posts in this topic

Posted

Posted

I can't even watch that again it makes me so sad ;-;

Posted

cry about it

heh

Posted

I'm sure the comic it was adapted from was better, but to be frank, watching metropolis felt like watching a less-good version of akira.

Posted

So many things wrong with that statement all I could think to reply with was a meme. So.... no. You have an incorrect opinion.

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

Main Character is being chased by a demonic version of the truck from Sonic Adventure 2:

tumblr_nnr5j11d7x1srqqozo2_250.gif

Looks up at sky and sees Chain Sumaragi and asks her for help

tumblr_nnqu43X2a81srwmdio1_500.gif

Posted

So many things wrong with that statement all I could think to reply with was a meme. So.... no. You have an incorrect opinion.

Well I know the movie was inspired by the original metropolis movie, but it's clearly adapted from the manga by Osamu Tezuka, and it shows. The whole thing watches exactly like a compilation film; characters' demeanors change from scene to scene with little narrative to explain why. Shensaku is a perfect example of this, going from the bumbling oaf of a detective who just stands on the sidelines while kenichi does everything to being capable of capturing and beating up Rock somehow. I'll admit I haven't read the source material, or much of anything by Tezuka, but I like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume this isn't as direct of an adaption as something like Jojo's bizarre adventure.

On top of that, the characters and plot were just generic tropes. Kenichi is the young naive boy who's tireless idealism and inability to give up inspires the loyalty of Tima, impossibly beautiful robot girl who spends the movie learning about the world around her. Duke Red is the same megolomanic Businessman, Rock literally just the Bass to Kenichi's Megaman, and so on. Of course, I know that the original manga was published all the way back in 1949, so I can't say they're tropes because I don't know if Tezuka didn't actually invent these tropes himself or not. So I can't in good faith call this a valid criticism yet.

In fact, the script writer for the movie was none other than Katsuhiro Otomo, the creator of Akira himself, which is why it feels so similar to Akira. It's got all the same futuristic totalitarian dystopian themes, complete with the horrible world-being-destroyed climax and the hope-in-the-rubble aftermath. It even does that thing I hate where at the very beginning of the movie the big bad comes out and says "I am all powerful, this building I built is all powerful, nothing can destroy us," and lo and behold it gets destroyed. What a shock.

So maybe it's just because the writer for Akira was in charge, or because it was adapted from a manga that makes me want to call it a "less good version of Akira." I don't know the history of the manga or it's impact on fiction, so I can't say it's because the source material is bad or anything. But in the end, it seems to me that if you wanted to watch metropolis, you'd be better off reading the manga or watching akira.

Posted

Still...many........wrong things................. You have been misinformed and I'm too tired to correct it...................................................

Posted

Here's one of my favorite scenes from Macross 7. To give the bare minimum amount of context, Macross 7 is the sequel to Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and is about a rock band that fights space vampires by piloting mecha that weaponize the power of Song Energy. It's kinda strange.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

I love the metal scream when he gets it back, thats fantastic

Posted

Dude, that scream is the BEST.