Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Juxtaposed Pictures + Words: A Comic Thread (Not Marvel or DC)

23 posts in this topic

Posted

We have a Marvel thread, a DC thread, and arguably a Manga thread (Via the Anime Thread) so lets talk about, you know, other comics! Due to the massive continuities that Marvel, DC, and more than occasionally Manga have, getting into comics can be very scary. But luckily there is SO MUCH MORE THAN THOSE! Here are a few series I would 100% recommend. Tell me some of your favorite comics and we can all discuss them like buddies.

First up, The Wicked + The Devine 

thewickedthedivine_1_B.jpg

Every 90 years, 12 mythological gods are reborn as humans. They are loved, they are hated, and in 2 years time, they will be dead.

Issue 11 comes out this week, and you can already grab the first trade (collecting issues 1-5) for $10. The second volume drops in mid July and will contain issues 6-10, I'm assuming. So honestly, this is the perfect series to pick up right now. I'm not caught up, as I fell behind a bit during the second arc, but I'm planning on buying issue 11 and just not reading it until the second trade is available, then going back to it monthly by issues.

The first arc is about a young girl who befriends Lucifer at a concert for Amaterasu. Soon after, Lucifer is charged for a murder she did not commit. It's great and the end of the first volume totally had me craving more. A really neat aspect of the series is that all the Gods are based off of real pop idols. Lucifer is (a female) David Bowie, Baal is Kanye West, Wooden is Daft Punk, etc. It's really neat to see these fictionalized versions of real musicians. What if the gods of today's media were ACTUALLY gods? READ IT!

Luther Strode 

3373355-the_legend_of_luther_strode_tpb_

I just finished the first volume (titled "The Strange Talent of Luther Strode") and oh man it was top notch! Typical story about a nerdy kid who gets "super powers", you've heard it before. Except it wasn't from a radio active spider, or anything like that. Nah, he unknowingly obtained his powers from a murder cult that goes all the way back to Cain, the first person to commit murder, according to Biblical mythos. It really does not end well for him. But it's exciting and wonderfully drawn! It's almost like reading an animation. I have serious love for this artist! I believe volume 2 is called "The Legend of Luther Strode" and volume 3, which just started with an issue 1, is called "The Legacy of Luther Strode." Legacy will be the last series for Strode, but the author said it may not be the end of the "Lutherverse"! Oh and iif you couldn't tell based on the image above, it's ultra violent. READ IT!

Teen Dog

1409771950000-TeenDog-01-PRESS-3.jpg

Okay so Teen Dog is the story of a Dog who is also a Teen. Mostly a slice of life comedy, each issue builds on the last, but not enough to where you can't just pick up a random issue and enjoy it. It's probably my favorite comic ever. The humor is so innocent yet 1000% hilarious! If you're a fan of Nedroid type comics, PICK THIS UP! The series is finished (7 issues total) and the collected trade comes out on November 24th. READ IT!

Help Us! Great Warrior

GW01.jpg

Okay this one is another 7 issue mini series like Teen Dog. Issue 4 should be out soon. It's about a sassy as fuuuuuuuuck girl who is also a legendary hero! It's hilarious. If you like slaying demons and cute boys, you'll love this series. if your name is Cascade, you'll love this series. READ IT!

What comics are you guys reading? I know LL should have a few to recommend. 

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

Don't forget the web comics thread

Posted

I think there's probably an Indy coming s thread down there somewhere, but puppy it, can't hurt to make a new one. You read Saga?

Posted

Still haven't literally cause the same reason as forever. So I'll probably just by volume 1 this week. #ugh

Posted

Saga is wonderful. Also, I really need to try out The Wicked + The Divine, since I enjoyed Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie's Young Avenger's run so much.

Posted

oh i dunno if i mentioned it but Wicked Devine is getting its own tv show

Posted

Forming-Jesse-Moynihan-Nobrow5-540x704.j

Jesse Moynihan's Forming and Forming II are cool.

forming151.jpg

Also Jim Woodring's Frank books are dope as hell. Prob my favorite

7839.jpg

Teto, Pizzza and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Jesse Moynihan made thiisssssssssssssssssss

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted (edited)

I talked about Chew in the last thread that was like this, the most basic description I could give is that it's about a guy who uses his food based power to help solve crimes, such as eating something at a crime scene and seeing how it got there. It's currently at issue 49 of 60, ending next year probably, really good comic.

Since I've talked about that before, I'll talk about Rumble from Image Comics:

tumblr_nc0c2wwONS1rs6hqwo1_500.jpg

It's about this god who has lost his original body and now inhabits the body of a Scarecrow, he's out to get his body back. The world is pretty neat but I feel like its hard to go into detail without spoiling. I'm terrible at describing things but It's only 5 issues in so it's not too late to catch up.

Edited by Double45 (see edit history)
Pizzza and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

I think there's probably an Indy coming s thread down there somewhere, but puppy it, can't hurt to make a new one. You read Saga?

Picked up Saga vol 1 and Luther Strode vol 2 yesterday. Also Marvel's Weird World #1 which i have no clue about at all.

Also, Issue 4 for Help Us! Great Warrior has an AMAZING cover. Need this as a poster.

Help-Us-Great-Warrior-4-1.png

Posted

Luther Strode continued to be fantastic.

Saga vol 1-- jux finished it. wish it wasn't 10pm so i could go buy the next two volumes now haha. Even my mom is interested in reading it, so i lent it to her!

Agent Zako likes this

Posted

I tend to need to be invested prior to making any kind of purchase. I've been aware of Saga for a while for instance, but since I have no idea/interest in what it's about, and the art style isn't interesting to me, I've never gone any further about looking into it.

There are a couple comics which I bought because I'd already read them in the past, and then some others which drew me in based on art alone. Like I've been meaning to get a Frank book ever since LL posted Visions of Frank yeeears ago. I would have bought The Frank Book today if I could have found it in stock anywhere. Unfortunately all I could find was an incomplete paperback and Fran, which is like the third book or something. So instead I went for this recommended book which caught my eye, How To Be Happy, by Eleanor Davis.

Like, this art style is beautiful.

HAPPY-COVER1-1024x666.jpg

Photo-Jul-18-8-07-17-AM.png

eden-1-723x1024.jpg

So I'm going to enjoy gawking at that once I get it sometime next week.

Frank's style is somewhat more compelling for the sake of surrealism, but I can appreciate some stunning colour palettes while I wait for that to get in stock. I'm gonna stare at my Paul Klee book in anticipation. I want to use colours this effectively.

LLmao ?✊?, Pizzza and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Saga's art style might interest you more once you see some of the actual subjects of the art, beyond covers. If you haven't yet, pick vol 1 up off the shelf next time and flip through it. Just try not to read any context cause that'll spoil a great story!

Posted (edited)

How To Be Happy looks very pretty, although the art style's not really up my alley when it comes to what catches my eye in a comic. That's different tastes at work I guess.

WARNING: Slight context ahead

As for Saga, just about the simplest way to describe it is as a science-fantasy space opera about star-crossed lovers, each originating from a different side of a massive ongoing war, running away from the chaos and trying to raise their child in peace. All the while, they're being chased by enemies across the galaxy and seeing strange worlds and meeting strange people. It's largely about family, and has very clever writing that manages a balance between the serious and the absurd I often associate with Japanese storytelling, like in Metal Gear. If the art isn't doing anything for you, not much I can say there. I love Fiona Staples' art, but not everyone will. Saga is definitely worth a try.

Edited by Agent Zako (see edit history)

Posted

@Teto, you should look up Forming 1 And 2 by Jesse Moynihan. He worked on Adventure Time and the style looks similar to what you posted. 

It's basically a genesis story using cool cosmic deities and stuff and it's funny. 

Forming-Jesse-Moynihan-Nobrow5-540x704.j

(just an example from a quick google search)