Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Maybe it's time that we accept the facts.

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Maybe the Legend of Zelda series is only mediocre. Why do we keep making excuses for it

Cirt and pheonix561 like this

Posted (edited)

Well, Nintendo's been doing the Gimmick system thing for like, 10 years. So in that time every game has had to be a part of, or enslaved to, the gimmick. I really think the idea that a Zelda game absolutely has to have some kind of new innovation is more recent than is generally thought

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)

Posted

I don't know, after a recent playthrough of ALBW and Wind Waker HD, I think it reinforced my feelings that the series is great.

Posted

I still think the series is great because Link is the best silent protagonist out there that you can immerse yourself into. He has just enough substance to be a character, but most/all of the games let you put enough of your personality into him via controlling his actions that you feel like you're Link as much as he is. I dunno, I just really get a kick out of the way Zelda games reward me for being myself in them.

Posted

So basically what knuckle is saying is that he wants Xbox Live Achievements 

Posted

I am starting to feel the same way - I don't know what caused the disillusionment to me, but I think in part that, the series was just a significant part of my childhood... I've moved on and tried other things that I've lost touch with the fantasy part of it all. I really did love everything about ALBW, because it was fun, but sometimes I feel like the series wasn't meant to be completely pulled apart to analyze (like theories and whatever)...like we're looking for something that's not there? LoZ's got good music, good stories, some good puzzles, and thrilling adventure. I really don't know how to phrase what I'm thinking - I guess, simply, that it was never as deep as we thought.

Posted

It isn't deep or meaningful or anything, but it's fun, and that's all a game needs to be.

Pizzza likes this

Posted

It isn't deep or meaningful or anything, but it's fun, and that's all a game needs to be.

Yeah, and I see that now obviously, lol. But I meant I used to think there was a lot more.

Pizzza likes this

Posted

Lol, a lot of people did. Zelda doesnt have any really deep lore or powerful stories really, but people always dissected it and looked too much into it. Thats why we have the crappy timeline that should not exist.

Posted

Part of the fun was dissecting it, on a casual level. I'm willing to admit that it once was great but either he fans are jaded or other games just surpassed it.

For the record it is an influential and important series. Just not anymore.

And yeah the timeline is puppying dumb.

Posted

This topic is blasphemy, missionaries have been dispatched to each of your homes.

I agree on most of the points made though.

pheonix561 and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

I've never really been a super fan, I can count the number of Zelda games I've actually beaten on one hand. Crafting theories is a fun passtime and it's silly to scorn it just because it no longer interests you. Sure, people looked too hard, but it was always just another way for people to express themselves.

Like I always went for the route of never taking the stories and settings of the game as literal, and that legends were all warped by repetition, bias, and limited information. I preferred that everything was disconnected like that in some way. Metaphorical tales with no place in history, only based in different periods. The timeline is just fanservice anyhow. The fun is in the exploration of possibilities. The official timeline messes with that.

Linox and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

That's exactly how I feel, I think. The official timeline takes away the wonder of the series. It's like watching a movie with that one annoying friend who is constantly talking and explaining the movie as it's happening.

pheonix561 and Teto like this

Posted

The fact that they HAVE to incorporate whatever stupid gimmick they've drummed up into each new game is what kills the series for me recently. It began with Twilight Princess on the wii, then the two absolutely abysmal DS releases, and the most recent console game, Skyward Sword.

Swinging the wii mote was fun for 5 seconds and after that I just wish I was using a real controller. And flying the bird with a wii mote was dumb. And aiming the bow and having to recalibrate.

If they would just use a regular controller and focus more on making a great Zelda experience (ALBW was good) they would make a good game like they did in the past with ALTTP, OOT, MM, and WW. Twilight Princess was the beginning of the end for me.

Also a dumb and personal thing for me is when they started making him right handed to shoehorn motion controls in the game. I mean, it isn't a big deal I suppose, but there aren't many left handed heroes and Link was one of the great ones. Now I just keep hoping the next game will live up to my expectations, but I highly doubt it will.