A Song of Ice and Werewolves (GoT)

448 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Linox seriously has the worst luck all game. Damn. That is really shitty but also hilarious.

he was so dangerous the whole time and there was one night where I said to Teto "we've GOT to kill Linox" But we decided on killing t1g instead

i made up a lot of shit, by the way. I was a redirector and I actually did end up unlocking my secondary ability, by correctly guessing that LL was Varys. That gave me a kill priority skill (that I used once), which had a cool down of one night, and then I killed LL right after because I knew he was a seer. I felt guilty because I knew how cold blooded it was lol 

Then I made up the independent thing and pheo for some reason rushed to my defense about it.  Teto and I were loling 

Edited by Cirt (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I feel like to some extent this game can be summed up as "Knuckle and Pheo are big, indecisive dummies." I should have stuck to my guns and pushed for a lynching of Teto even when the votes were going to Linox

Edited by Knuckle (see edit history)

Posted

Then I made up the independent thing and pheo for some reason rushed to my defense about it.  Teto and I were loling 

Posted

I do not feel good about how I played this game :(

Posted

Everybody loses! Except me and Cirt!

Posted

How could you kill your own blood, Jon...

Teto and pheonix561 like this

Posted

I do not feel good about how I played this game :(

Posted

What we need is a good vanilla game. I might do one. Just a seer, a healer, a couple wolves, and a bunch of powerless townies. Or maybe even drop the healer and seer.

pheonix561, Brodongo and Cirt like this

Posted

I have a couple game ideas but they're much more complex than vanilla.

Also, Brodongo, what was the plan for that Dothraki Invasion Timeline you mentioned just before the start of the game? Or was that just a joke :x

Posted

I was super puppying tired when i chose to abstain from the vote lol, so i kind of related to teto saying how tired he was at that point in the middle. plus there was a lot of conflicting information and it wasn't clear who was lying. I realized that Teto was probably the imposter, but at the same time that also relied on yet MORE conflicting information, so I didn't bother calling him out on it. NPCs really puppy up the logic in this game lol.

Well despite some good natured grumbling this was a fun game. Congrats to the wolves!

Also lol at how Pheo jumped to Cirt's defense on a clearly shaky alibi, purely because she is an adorable cinnamon roll who would never stab him in the back

Posted

nEaudWZ.png

oh god what have i done

Posted

What the puppying hell take that shit down

i was not prepared to see that at 6:30am t1g

T1g likes this

Posted (edited)

Alright guys, as promised, here is the first of several game summary posts. I'll try to make three separate posts, one for game design, one for the actual results of the game, and then one where I just post everyone's roles. This was the first mafia game that I have ever hosted, so it was far from perfect and there are tons of things I wished I could have changed, mostly just in terms of simplifying things a bit more. Some mechanics worked well, others fell awkward or were sloppily executed, but at its core it was a traditional werewolf game, and that really shined through in the last day phase, which was the most exciting part of the game in my opinion.

Family/Character Biases

This game had an overarching theme in mind, which was that house disputes and past biases threatened to interfere with the major goal of hunting scum. Most characters had some type of bias or secondary goal written into their role, which would put them at odds with at least one player, or a group of players.

1. Tyrion Lannister (T1G) unlocked his second ability by publicly putting down Cersei Lannister. This was designed to make the two players subconsciously distrustful of one another,

2. Varys (LL) and Petyr Baelish (Cirt) had a little game of cat and mouse going, where the first person to identify the other would win an upgrade, and the other person would be locked out of it. This had the potential to make them both reluctant to role claim, which could potentially make them look secretive and shady.

3. Oberyn Martell (Knuckle) was told in his pm that he hated all Lannisters, and his lynch survivor ability grew stronger every time he publicly put down Tywin Lannister (Linox)

4. Cersei (Necropolis) was told in pm that she trusted Jaime Lannister (although I obviously did not reveal that the real Jaime was an NPC), and she needed to visit Tywin Lannister (Linox) in order to gain her power role. This would make it more likely that Necropolis would form alliances with other Lannister players.

5. Tywin Lannister (Linox) was the only Townie with a secondary win condition - He needed to keep at least one Lannister player alive until the end game. He also unlocked his secondary power by hammer voting a any non Lannister player. Obviously this would bias his vote, but also make him a bit more reluctant to try to kill fake Jaime Lannister (Teto), unless he truly believed that Teto was the imposter, since he would seem to be more valuable to Linox, should Teto be taken at his word.

The only townies without a written family bias were Jon Snow (Pheo) and Eddard Stark (Chase). Out of all the characters, they seemed like the most honorable, and most likely to keep their personal agendas in check for the good of the realm. The idea was that a successful town would decide to put all these alliances and distractions behind them in favor of the big picture - who was acting the shadiest, regardless of their family Name. As evidenced by Knuckle's hammer vote to seal the game, where he killed off his character's rival, this was much easier said than done.

Private Chats

Originally, this was going to be a 13 player game, and there were going to be three private chat channels in this game. One Town-Town chat (Oberyn Martell & Tyrion Lannister), one Town-Independent (Varys & Petyr Baelish), and one Town-Wolf (Cersei Lannister & Fake Jaime). Then when I cut it down to 9 players I changed Baelish from an Independent to a wolf, and decided I didn't want two Town-Wolf chats, so I removed that one. For obvious reasons, I did not reveal alignments in private chat, but in the case of Knuckle and T1G, once they I entered the chat, I officially confirmed that their characters were "Total Bros" and that "sometimes trusting one another is worth the risk". It didn't seem to do much though, T1G seemed pretty suspicious of Knuckle the entire time.

As for Teto and Necropolis' private chat, It seemed that Necropolis rightfully did not trust Teto at all, and eventually Teto saw that Necropolis was not revealing much to him in private, so the next night he cut his losses and killed him.

The Dungeon and Prisoners

Teto knew from the start that Jaime Lannister was an NPC locked in the dungeons, and that if somebody UNLOCKED the dungeons then he would escape. In this way, Jaime Lannister was a semi-safe character claim for Teto, provided he could prevent Jaime from escaping. T1G got his keys and immediately sent me the command,  "RELEASE PRISONERS, YOLO". On the surface, this was designed to look like it had harmed the town, since it permanently disabled the immunity votes. In reality, it was a huge help for the town, because the next pm I sent him dropped two very important names, Euron Greyjoy, and Jaime Lannister. It also meant that NPC Jaime had been released from prison, and would start randomly visiting one player each night.

From Linox's perspective, this was really helpful, since he was an ID Killer. Now he had the name that most likely belonged to a wolf. He also got notifications every time an NPC interacted with a player, and the name that always seemed to pop up when he pressed the player in question was Jaime Lannister.

This whole thing was a bit sloppy in design and Linox's role was ended up being more than a little weird. The NPC's really only existed:

1. To make it harder to guess people's ID's, by putting more names into the pool of characters

2. To give Linox an alibi each night, since he could send them to visit people

3. For the whole Jaime Lannister ID puzzle.

Overall I probably would have cut this part out if I could do this game again.

Townie Power Roles

In werewolf games, this forum has a tradition of giving every townie a power role. In my perspective, this makes playing as wolf really hard, since the town can just use process of elimination with night abilities to find wolves. Very little time is actually spent looking at people that act shady during the day. I wanted to nerf the town powers a bit, but I also didn't want some players to feel like they had nothing to discuss, so I tried to make a compromise - most of you guys had power roles, but they were locked at the start. Therefore, most power roles would not come into play until night 3 or 4. I also made some other additions, such as unblockable kills to nerf the power of the town protector, and split the seer role in half between Chase and LL. LL had the power to ID Teto as a Euron Greyjoy (who had the same last name as the werewolf mentioned in the prologue), while Chase had the power to ID Cirt, who had a much stronger identity claim, as wolf-aligned.

Other random things that I didn't like:

1. The game was heavily scripted in some parts, which sometimes made the game a bit constricting in play style, especially for Teto. It also meant lots of writing from me, writing being something that I'm not particularly good at.

2. Roles were a bit too complicated in parts. If I do a game in the future roles will probably take a much more 'keep it simple' approach

In general though, game seemed pretty balanced and sounds like everyone had fun so I'm glad to hear that.

Edited by Brodongo (see edit history)
pheonix561 likes this