Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Making Friends

28 posts in this topic

Posted

The thing about smartness though is like, if you judge a fish's intelligence by it's ability to climb a tree it'll spend the rest of it's life believing it is stupid, compared to a monkey. I mean sure technically fish are stupid, but thats besides the point.

T1g likes this

Posted

yeah, i guess my personality is pretty atrocious. maybe being alone would be better so i dont hurt nobody

Wasn't sure if that was mockingly extra critical, or if she's fishing for compliments.

Go to a convention or look around Facebook (if you have one) for a club/social group in your area. I found a dope one for video games and I've met dozens of cool people across my city, the outlying area and my state. It's cool. Are you passionate about stuff? I'm sure you could do readings of your work at the library. Or you could make a flyer for that. You've made designs before. Use your head

Stop feeling sorry for yourself because it's really off-putting.

Posted

Wasn't sure if that was mockingly extra critical, or if she's fishing for compliments.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself because it's really off-putting.

Im so glad someone said this. Thats by far my biggest turn off from people.

Posted

im not fishing for compliments or anyhing, i just know the kind of person i am

Posted

cool cause I agree with it >:)

joke lol

Posted

im not fishing for compliments or anyhing, i just know the kind of person i am

I've heard Detroit is sort of a divided city. Parts of it are a horrible hellscape, and parts are pretty nice. Can't say I've been though. I'd say, look online for your Local comic book/Game store. They're more common then you might think, and almost all of them have pick up games you can enjoy.

You like the Super best friends, yeah? Check the facebook group, ask around if there are any fans in the area that might want to hang at a neutral location.

Like, honestly, in terms of your personality, its not that big an issue. I think you're making a bigger deal out of it than it is, you sound maybe a bit cynical occasionally, but its just sort of normal internet levels of sarcasm. Most of the time you seem like you''re half joking so I don't really see the big deal. Maybe skype some more? I had a friend who joined the coast guard, and moved away, but the rest of our group collectively stayed in touch with him through skype to the point where he may as well have never left.

Another good way is to find a cheap local college, and attend some classes. Thats where I met, like, half of my friend group, and by extension, this website.

By that same token, I met 3 people on the mecha board of 4chan last summer, and we get along famously, would love to do a meet up with them some time, and it was all through skype.

So thats an option. Baby steps, you don't have to jump into the deep end, just put some feelers out.

Posted

Keep in the back of your mind the words of the philosopher Abhinavagupta: "You can always buy a Magic the Gathering deck, walk into any game shop, and start meeting people."

Hopefully there's one near you - from your description of the area, it seems like there's not too much going on. If not, what sorts of people do you see around your apartment complex?

Pizzza likes this

Posted

im not into card games

Posted

I can attest to the power of card games. Shame I never got into MTG really, but I used to hang out with some friends in a game shop and used the one deck that I bought. Never made any new friends there, but you were invited easily into the company of the people there.

Posted

im not into card games

I don't play MTG, but it's a mentality thing. Always keep in mind, "If I ever decide I really need to meet people, I can always buy a deck, walk into a game shop, and start meeting people." You might never do this, but knowing that you can reduces the desperation. Every time I go to a new place with no one I know, it's a comforting thought. I chose MTG specifically because it's popular with a diverse audience, you can usually tell where people will be playing it, and you can choose whether or not to talk over a game depending on how comfortable you are. choose something equivalent if it stands out to you

Pizzza likes this

Posted

Thats actually great advice. Like LL plays in his local smash melee community and has told me he's met a lot of people through it. It doesnt havta be Magic or Smash, but really anything that requires other people. Try D&D if you dont wanna be competitive?

Posted

Yeah, I'll look around a bit for stuff like that. I hope it won't be too tough :C

Pizzza likes this

Posted

D&D, last I checked, does pre made campaigns where you can go into a participating game store and join a session with a pre made character that they supply you. It's designed so you can enjoy the campaign as a whole or just join a few sessions randomly. It's great for new players! I believe they do this a few weeks each year, but I don't actually know the details or if they still do this (did it at least 2 years ago I believe) so you'll wanna check the D&D website if you're interested. Should also have a list of participating locations, I would think.

Otherwise, just go to a game shop and ask the staff if they have any game events (for D&D, or just in general) that are welcoming to newbies. To save you time, you might even wanna check out the store's Facebook page. Their may be a fee to participate, but it shouldn't be much. Just enough to collectively cover the cost of service and use of space. Good luck!