What song(s) are you listening to at the moment?

3941 posts in this topic

Posted

HEY BEN WHY ARE YOU STILL UP

Pheo_chat.png

Also to fit the thread

Teto likes this

Posted

Look forward to more stuff from these guys. Only got like 3 tracks from them so far. 

Posted

HEY BEN WHY ARE YOU STILL UP

This song has been on my iphone since the album released quit cramping my style brah

Coco confirmed best character. Again

Posted

I've been slow to listen to things which is disappointing, following a disruption of my schedule. But I'm finally making it to the end of The Animal Collective's studio discography. I listened to Merriweather Post Pavillion (2009) last night but I was too tired to register any of it. It's a really solid album. I really like most of the songs on it. It has a really dreamy feel to it. I particularly like Brothersport around the halfway mark. The electronic elements they use are really upbeat, funky--almost swinging--and unique.

Animal Collective - Daily Routine

Animal Collective - Bluish

Supposedly their last album, Centipede Hz, goes back to their roots more than this music. Hopefully their decade of experience has polished it in an interesting way.

Posted

Werriweather Post Pavilion is tied as my favourite AC album, along with Strawberry Jam. The Fall Be Kind EP released in 2009 is also good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuLdCWnuTa8

Also I guess if you're going all the way, there's Panda Bear's solo stuff to listen to as well. His latest album came out a week or two ago.

Posted

For some reason it really annoys me that he calls himself Panda Bear. I know artists give themselves names all the time, but idk

Posted

If there's any reason his name annoys me, it's from the connotation that it's part of what I classify as LOL random animals. Pandas, turtles, penguins (especially penguins) etc. 

Posted

I think that's it lol

Posted

Also yeah certainly going to check out Panda Bear's solo stuff. I hear it's a lot different but them's the brakes.

In the meantime I'm listening to The Brothers Johnson's 1978 album Blam!!. It's pretty dang good.

I think my favorite part of the album is 1:42 - 2:18 of this song. It's really cool. The rest of the song is okay, but I particularly like that part.

This album had another funk-sample surprise for me. It's really funny to me how far I am into house music that I spot samples nearmost anywhere I find funk/disco music.

This song is sampled in the classic French House track "Soul Bells" by Le Knight Club. It's pretty obvious where the samples are if you just listen to the song though.

Posted

Been listening to a bunch of FLOW songs since yesterday morning, because they announced a World Tour and are finally coming to Canada~

(I've waited like 7 or 8 years for this day, ahuhu)

Teto likes this

Posted

I have an Amazon Prime account so lately I've been listening to a s#!t ton of free music. They have a Classical music playlist loaded with Yoyo Ma, London Symphony orchestra, Boston pops and much more.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

Listening to some early David bowie.

Otis McNutt likes this

Posted

I've been meaning to listen to David Bowie.

But hey I listened to more Royksopp, and I was really confused, because I was listening to Back To Mine (2007) and it turns out it's a mix album; they took songs by artists influential to them and mixed them together, primarily a lot of funk, soul, disco, and rock. I was really surprised when I was listening to Valerie Dore's Closer and spotted a sample that was used in Play Paul's "Spaced Out" and "Spaced Out 2" on Le Knight Club's mix albums, Crydamoure Waves I and Crydamoure Waves II. The tracks sample the song's synth parts in a few places, but the part I noticed it heavily at was at the 00:24 mark.

Valerie Dore - Closer

In addition to that I quite liked many of the songs on the album.

I'm preparing to finally listen to my copy of Centipede Hz by Animal Collective. I'm at the end of my Animal Collective journey, until I decide to listen to their live albums and EPs and stuff.

Posted

I heard animal collective was very bad live :(

Posted

Doesn't mean I can't learn something from it. Although there are limits. For instance, Cage the Elephant is pretty bad live. I actually saw them live with a friend once. The lead singer was really spastic and at one point whipped my other friend in the crowd in the head with his microphone cable while neither of them were even looking at each other. I tried to follow the lead singer around when he went into the crowd, just to touch him, just once, so I could say I did. But later I got kicked out because I politely asked someone to move aside while I very carefully dropped into the crowd two feet from a railing thing. 

Anyway I listened to the album. I've read mixed reviews about it but I actually really enjoyed it. Turned my speakers to an almost complainable level, turned my sub up halfway. I never get to do that, since electronic dance music tends to be sub heavy. It sounded great, a combination of the monitor speakers and a vinyl record's fidelity, I suppose. I really liked the music though. The reviews were generally positive, but said that the sound of the record was very disjointed and splayed. I recall someone comparing it to a burrito that's been thrown into a windshield, leaving its contents bare. I suppose I can agree with that; it's somewhat disjointed feeling, but I still feel it's fairly cohesive, but in a way that's hardly contained. The lyrics are characteristically nonsensical and lighthearted. I can't really say there were any tracks that I didn't particularly like. I'm currently on my third listen while typing up my thoughts on it. Here are some favorites. I think Wide Eyed is my favorite. It has a weirdly desert-punk feel, but that might just be because it reminds me of Trigun's soundtrack. It would totally fit right in. I'm aware it's the first time that this particular band member has been the lead vocal. I even like the strange, dissonant, kind of creepy laugh juxtaposed with some kind of really positive feeling pop sample that happens at the end.

Today's Supernatural

Applesauce

I really like the bassline in Monkey Riches.

So yeah that was a pretty good experience. I quite liked Animal Collective.