Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is being realistic important to a Zelda game?

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I was on another site that was discussing a feature in Zelda that apparently made the game less "realistic" and "immersive".

Considering the fact that Zelda is a fantasy game, I personally feel that realism is far from important. In fact, I'd say unrealisticness is actually what makes the Zelda games more interesting and fantastic.

How do you feel about realism and such things?

Pizzza and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

I don't think it's necessary at all. As long as the character/story motives make reasonable sense, and like, reality works the same (gravity works the same as in real life, for example), then i'd prefer it to be as fantastic as possible. The second requirement isn't even always true for my preferences either, it just makes sense for a game like this. 

Posted

Photorealistic faces in games are harder to project yourself on and identify with. So I'll say unrealistic is good. 

But also, I felt like the art style of Wind Waker was good, but I didn't like Skyward Sword's. 

Pizzza likes this

Posted

@LL

agree and agree

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

Since Zelda as a series is sort of a...Anthology? I would say there are times when realism is called for, and times when high fantasy are called for. Right now, high fantasy is the thing, maybe with From software style used world stapled onto it.

Pizzza likes this

Posted

I'm all for innovation, but when the immersion is broken, I don't like it. Having to re-calibrate the Wii Motion+ every ten minutes in Skyward Sword is lame. And the upcoming game looks similar. All of the HUD stuff and the stacking stuff seems lame.

Pizzza likes this

Posted

I'm all for innovation, but when the immersion is broken, I don't like it. Having to re-calibrate the Wii Motion+ every ten minutes in Skyward Sword is lame. And the upcoming game looks similar. All of the HUD stuff and the stacking stuff seems lame.

Ugh having to re-calibrate the wiimote+ was such a pain. Sadly I found the perfect positioning for everything so I didn't have to keep re-calibrating, all the way at the end of the game.

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

As far as realism goes (for any story, really) all I'd like is believable characters that I can connect with. Outside of that, one of my favourite things about the Zelda series is the rather fantastic nature of everything.

I think when most people say 'realistic' they think of graphical qualities, but for me -- it just means being in a living and breathing, believable world that I can feel a part of.

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

Since Zelda as a series is sort of a...Anthology? I would say there are times when realism is called for, and times when high fantasy are called for. Right now, high fantasy is the thing, maybe with From software style used world stapled onto it.

High fantasy is the worst. Game of thrones is the only one of the genre that's ever held my interest. High fantasy is basically "super realism" if magic were real and everyone was white lol. So boring and political!

Cascade and Cassandra like this

Posted

Nah, high fantasy is like, a universal law or logic that permeates every aspect of a fictional universe. Twilight is the real world but there are some vampires thrown in. High fantasy has a rich history of why the vampires are there, how they got there, what their current situation is, and their legacy. 

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

High fantasy is the worst. Game of thrones is the only one of the genre that's ever held my interest. High fantasy is basically "super realism" if magic were real and everyone was white lol. So boring and political!

That's not what high fantasy is. Tolkien is high fantasy, American gods would be low fantasy. Generally it just means how fantastical is the world

Posted

Oh I guess that makes sense. I never thought of it that way. "High" fantasy, to me, was always like Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, etc. Stuff that pretentious people would validate as better than "general" fantasy series, bit ultimately come down to just being a bunch of white bros talking politics (usually in New Zealand). But yeah your explanation is much more defining and makes more sense as a label.

Posted

I would so far as to say Game of Thrones spends a lot of time in a much lower fantasy world. Like, the first book for sure is a vaguely medieval world with some interesting fantastical history, and a few strange elements on the fringe. As they go they get more and more High fantasy.

Posted

one of my favorite Zelda games, The Wind Waker is the least realistic Zelda game out there. that being said I loved the art style of Twilight Princess and the happy medium art (realistic and cell shaded) of Skyward Sword. I hope Zelda Wii U (or NX) will be the same.

Posted

It looked that way according to the footage that was shown a while back