Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is being realistic important to a Zelda game?

27 posts in this topic

Posted

the happy medium art (realistic and cell shaded) of Skyward Sword. I hope Zelda Wii U (or NX) will be the same.

It looked that way according to the footage that was shown a while back

Zelda 2015 (lol) has a much better art style than Skyward did imo. It's more literal cell shaded, but still pulled off really well like Ni No Kuni. Skyward Sword, i mean i guess it was kinda cell shaded, but very lightly. The graphics were only cell shaded in the shadows, mostly.

18j0ya86kx6pijpg.jpg

It's cell shaded but still very much relied on textures more than shading in it's presentation. While 2015 is very much more cell shaded. Like a more literal translation from typical anime to 3D graphics.

zelda-wii-u.jpg

Like, look at Link's shirt here. It has a pattern, but a very light pre-rendered texture. It's depth and substance is almost entirely defined by the model itself with major help by the cell shade rendering. I know this was just a pre-rendered cut scene, so I can only hope the actual game will look this good.

Posted

Second screen comes across as being a lot harder than the first. I didn't play much of Skyward Sword, but I got the impression that it was a very soft game aesthetically, whereas Zelda WiiU looks like it'll be a lot sharper and harder, with deeper tones. I'm too lazy to verify this by checking videos though, and instead thinking back to my memories of it.

I think the darker tones of colour is more true to the top down games, particularly the colour palette of Link Between Worlds. I'd like to see a 3D zelda with that kind of tone and colour. OoT and MM are the closest. TP is dark, but it's more grey, while OoT/MM have more saturated colours. SS and WW are both very bright and soft. Maybe this WiiU one will have a good medium, between harder graphics of TP, colours and tone of OoT/MM, and looser feel of cel shaded graphics?

/talking out of my arse

Posted

Second screen comes across as being a lot harder than the first. I didn't play much of Skyward Sword, but I got the impression that it was a very soft game aesthetically, whereas Zelda WiiU looks like it'll be a lot sharper and harder, with deeper tones. I'm too lazy to verify this by checking videos though, and instead thinking back to my memories of it.

This is a fair assessment, i think. But I prefer the more vibrant color pallet vs the more pastel colors of SS and even of WW to a lesser extent. I'm excited to look at it lol

Posted

Yeah, pastel colours aren't that great. I feel like darker tones absorb your interest a little more, like as a colour psychology thing. 

Posted

Colours are important, but you know what else is important? Textures and shading, both of which Twilight Princess failed at.

Posted

I wonder if someone will ever do a texture hack of TP to make it brighter. There's probably a lot more to it than that. But I wonder if people would like it more. I have good memories of it, just not of many characters. I mean I liked the yetis

Posted

Here's an HD Pack 

It's funny this is the first video I looked at, since in the description it links to zreomirror.com which I own and maintain http://zreomirror.com/

edit: which is apparently broken.

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

lol nice. 

TP was very fun. 

Posted

TP was the only Zelda game I really got hyped for. Coinciding with the release of the Wiivolution, I got my copy the day before my preordered console arrived in my store. I spent months beforehand marvelling at any details, and when the game came out it's basically everything I had wanted it to be, and it was on this new console I'd looked forward to getting for so long. You could cut grass while running, it was a revolution in game design.

Posted

I got it for the Wii, too. On launch. So all of my friends were excited about the Wii and the Zelda game launching together. When I got it, I called them on speakerphone and let them hear the title screen. 

They were jealous :)

Teto likes this

Posted

I'm one of the few that got it for Gamecube I guess. It was much better on Gamecube imo. I played the wii version after and 1) the world was flipped, 2) link is a righty 3) the annoying fairy sound that plays every time you move the wii mote. Although I will say fishing and bow and clawshot aiming were better on the wii.

The only two Zelda games I've highly anticipated were OOT and TP and I found TP to be a disappointment. That was probably due more to my incredible amount of hype and not any failing on the game's part.

Posted

I had gotten it on both gamecube and wii.

My wii version collected dust for a long time because of the great wii shortage of 2006.

I liked both of them the same, but wish I didn't sell my gamecube version...