Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TAPPY I AM PUBLICALLY ASKING YOU A QUESTION

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Do you plan to go into web hosting/web design/website stuff as a profession, and are you already going that in any ventures beyond hnet? Just wondering. Everyone seems to agree you do a pretty ace job running the forums, and you've been doing it for so long I figure it would look pretty good on a resume if you ever applied anywhere. Maybe you could even get a job working with Dustin somehow? idk

Michael and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

I do, do web hosting for a couple of friends I've come about through the IRC servers. There are a handful of websites running on the same dedicated server as Hyrule.net, mostly all mine though... I have a habit of buying domains and thinking "OH I'd love to make that website/community."

I like to do this as a hobby at this time, the sites I host for people I host for free, out of my pocket. I do not ask for Ad revenue and I'll never put Ads on my websites (ever again). I've thought about adding a donate button somewhere but I don't feel right asking for money.

I also do some web development on the side as another hobby under my community name "PiLabs" https://pilabs.io/ however I haven't had very much time to focus on these projects in quite a while.

I've actually helped Mases, owner of ZeldaDungeon.net with *some* stuff (not very much) so I've helped others outside of Hnet while in the overall zelda fansite sphere.

I used to be a part of a secret zelda fansite webmaster forum (that no longer exists now) where we all congregated. But if anyone asks about it, It's a secret to everybody.

That all being said...

Would I do this as a real professional job? Ehhhhh probably not. I've been working for a K-12 public school district, for about ~6 years now? Started as an IT Intern (technology grunt work) got hired full time (IT Technician I (technology grunt work with more money)) then got recently promoted to IT Technician II or more publicly known as a Systems Administrator. I've thoroughly enjoyed my job every year... It's not very often that you get to directly help the future generations of this world. I do so by providing the technology platform for students to utilize while learning from their teachers who use more technology to teach said students. I hope @Cirt feels the same way about her job, if she doesn't well Cirt I hope you do eventually!

I have Hyrule.net listed on my Linked In profile, and yes I have used Hyrule.net on my resume/during my recent application for the Systems Administrator position I got (mentioned above). Dustin has actually asked me if I was interested in working for iThemes, whether or not it was a serious offer or not I'm not sure al though I assume it was. 

I come and go here in stints, though I've always consider this place like a second home. I try to maintain things for a couple of reasons, part of me wishes Hyrule.net would gain some new faces and regain some of the activity it used to have, and as long as people to continue to visit I have no problem keeping the lights on.

Hope that answers your question :)

Shadowknight, なべ and pheonix561 like this