Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Phantom Pain is a 10/10 Masterpiece

68 posts in this topic

Posted

Posted

I'll believe it when actual people play it.

Posted

Haha. I'm super excited for this game.

It sounds like Peace Walker mixed with open world gameplay. Greg called it Peace Walker 2.

Posted

tumblr_nj3kt86ii51rdjju0o1_400.png

T1g likes this

Posted

- We already knew it was Peace Walker 2

- We already knew it was exceptionally good

- IGN is garbage, please

SilverAlchemic and T1g like this

Posted

I hear that, in true form for modern day Konami, the game includes microtransactions, because clearly the $60 was asking too much and they are going to make you want to spend more

Also, appreciate it while you can, because from now on the Metal Gear Solid series will be exclusively reserved for Pachinko machines

Posted

tumblr_ntnz3mfymv1qf100go1_1280.jpg

Posted

why would you buy a physical copy... for the pc...

I hear that, in true form for modern day Konami, the game includes microtransactions, because clearly the $60 was asking too much and they are going to make you want to spend more

Also, appreciate it while you can, because from now on the Metal Gear Solid series will be exclusively reserved for Pachinko machines

Considering Kojima was fired for the absurd budget he was asking for to make the game, this game is actually probably worth far more than 60 dollars.

Posted

It's a 10/10 as a game.

It's actually pretty similar to Metal Gear Solid 4 a few regards, where the game segments are absolutely fantastic. and plays like a dream for the most part. Unlike 4, there isn't a lacking of said game segments, so it delivers at every moment.

I'll put the next part in spoilers for people that didn't play the game every day for 18 hours upon release like me:

Where it suffers like 4 though, is the story. Metal Gear Solid 4, while not as good in its story compared to any of the previous Solid games, at least feels complete, even if a lot of was just Kojima trying to tie up all of the loose ends. Sadly, Phantom Pain seems to have suffered from the Konami/Kojima thing and somehow 5 years of development still managed to have essential content from the game cut. A mission 51 was cut, which involves key characters, important revelations, and so on. The big part of this is that the final mission story of the game LEADS into that and you're left with nothing. It just ends there. After that, you're left with a side mission story and then after that, you're finished and only have Hard versions of 10 missions, Side Ops, and S-ranks/Mission objectives to complete.

You'd think after Chapter 2 starts and you get this insane preview when it does, that there'd be much, much more to see, but it just ends so soon after you start it that a Metal Gear game actually feels incomplete. I never thought I'd see the day. I guess Kojima really did spend his time poorly and/or Konami messed with the game's completion.

Despite all of that though, the gameplay, once again, is just so amazing that it deserves any 9 or 10 it gets. The freedom to do literally anything you want is real along with all the fun that comes from that as well as just playing the game in general just feels so good. I thank Kojima Productions for that, at least. My only actual complaint about the game is that the temporary difficulty increase really deters me from playing the game. After every outpost has helmets, body armor, snipers, shotguns, and machine guns, it gets a bit less fun.

Actually just read the second half of the IGN review and the end with the score and bullet points, and they're both pretty much spot on. They sum up exactly what the game is.

Posted

Isn't like, every main character in all of these games just retconned into being a clone of themselves in a later game or something? I have never played an MGS game but from what I've heard, it seems like it would get boring constantly running into the same plot twist of "oh that was just my clone, oh that was just a robot me, oh that was someone who was hypnotized into thinking they were me, oh that was two kids in a trenchcoat and a me mask," etc.

Posted

If the game series were just that, it wouldn't be as revered as it is. Maybe you should play the games, then you can have an informed opinion.

It is so loved because of the little things Kojima puts into every game, even since the original Metal Gear 1 (Not Solid) as well as the interesting stories and characters he's conceived.

なべ likes this

Posted

I got to put my little pattywhackers on this game in a demo version at a store. My. God. It's like everything Ground Zeroes delivered and so much more. Everything feels fluid and every single system works together perfectly. It's insane just how complex this game is in it's gameplay and everything. If this is the last Metal Gear game, it's a fitting end to the series. I don't know how any future Metal Gear could possibly top this. There's just so much, SO MUCH. I can't even describe how good it feels.

Posted

Yeah, the game just feels so fluid. I feel bad for the people that'll go back to the previous Metal Gears that lack all of the improvements each subsequent game added to the controls to further streamline everything better.

Posted

are you suuuuuuure it's not just an endless stream of retcons