Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Phantom Pain is a 10/10 Masterpiece

68 posts in this topic

Posted

I beat MGSV a couple weeks ago but never got around to reporting back here. Basically, the game is still absolutely fantastic. I have never played a more fun action or stealth video game, and still pick it up from time to time. I would have liked more story, but what plot was there is legitimately important, especially some end-game information you get for finishing the story. Super spoilers ahead

The more I think about the final twist the more I come to like it. Sure, it's a bummer that Phantom Pain actually gave almost no insight into the life of Naked Snake during this time period, but I don't feel cheated since, from history's perspective, MGSV is still a vital part of the legend of Big Boss. Also, it was such a typical fourth-wall breaking move on Kojima's part to say that we, the players, made Big Boss, and by extension Metal Gear as a whole, what it is. Hideo Kojima's last metal gear ends with the biggest "thank you" to his fans he could possibly give. MGSV's story is controversial now, but I think it will end up like MGS2 and everyone will appreciate it more in a few years time.

Posted

but I think it will end up like MGS2 and everyone will appreciate it more in a few years time.

Everyone online keeps saying this, but Metal Gear Solid 2 is a fully complete and realized game that got everything it wanted to do done in its game, that we know of anyway, while Phantom Pain is clearly unfinished and every character underdeveloped besides Huey. I wish the twist was actually built up to instead of just being handed to the player out of nowhere at the "end" of the game, too. If you haven't already, Zako, watch the video of Mission 51 online. And even after you watch that, the game is still incomplete.

Sorry, but I just can't agree with you suggesting this will become more loved later on like Metal Gear Solid 2. Unless it gets a patch with a bunch of the cut content, it'll never live up that masterpiece. And we all know that's not going to happen.

I'd like to be proven wrong on both fronts, obviously. I [want] Phantom Pain to be a masterpiece as well, but it just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Metal Gear Solid 2 feels more complete for sure, but it did have significant  parts of the ending sequence in New York cut post-9/11, so I do think the comparison has some merit, despite not being 100% perfect. I watched the cut Mission 51 content right after beating the game, and would still call Phantom Pain a masterpiece regardless, or at least as much as MGS2 is. Sons of Liberty plays very well, and is mechanically solid, but I don't think it's gameplay is anywhere near as fun or engaging as Phantom Pain's, especially before Fatman. Basically, I think the most experimental and cerebral Metal Gear since MGS2 is definitely Phantom Pain, and both had very vocal negative reactions upon release, despite the complaints being much more justified with TPP. Like I said, not a perfect comparison, but it works in my mind at least.

As for the twist, I'd say it was actually built up, but not very much so as not to risk spoiling itself. To me at least, the mystery of who Ishmael is was blatantly presented at the very beginning, and hindsight implies that Snake didn't know Russian at the start simply because the Medic never knew in the first place and not because of the shrapnel, and then before the ending the genetic test with Eli comes back negative. The Eli bit was definite foreshadowing, even if it is really late-game. The twist was far from out of nowhere.

Posted

I didn't think I was spoiling anything. I mean, you get a good look at her face right before she bursts into flames, and all this is about 45 seconds before you actually control anything in the tutorial.

Posted (edited)

Metal Gear Online 3 launched today on consoles, it's pretty fun. There's only 3 modes but they seem pretty varied so far.

A really neat feature of it is that you can choose music from almost every Metal Gear game to play in the background, it's really cool on the modes where you have to be sneaky where there's a song for sneaking and a song for being encountered.

I also want to say that it seems like they put a lot of thought into the maps, they have nice layouts.

Edited by Double45 (see edit history)