Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Questing

16 posts in this topic

Posted

So uh, do you guys enjoy having an NPC tell you to gather Sandfish Eyes x5 from Sandfishes on B16f of the labyrinth? Do you like being told to capture an Electrode just to trade for a Magneton? Do you like being told to fetch this, fetch that, fetch what the puppy ever?

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted (edited)

No.

One of the reason I still like RuneScape over most MMOs. All the quests are generally stories and/or part of an overall storyline.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)
T1g and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Runescape is something I could never get into because the community treated me horrendously. I enjoyed the quests actually, but I never knew what I was supposed to do, and I was either ignored or insulted for being new.

Posted

Definitely don't blame you, but I'm pretty sure thats the case with all MMO's. I think Runescape might especially be an offender though, because a lot of its community is old dogs who have been playing for years now. I know I'm coming up on my 11th year or something.

I've done every quest in Runescape except for four, and as much as I agree with the statement about the quality of Runescape's Quests, I also have to point out it makes the game so much worse when the quests are bad. For example, there's the penguin quest series and "some like it cold." I know they were trying to be wacky and fun, but that series was just kind of dumb overall. Or, the Sea Slug series. They had a real interesting thing going there with the savant magic kid and the slugs from the ocean that would take over people's brains, but the final quest was just boring, anticlimactic, and generally stupid.

That also means, though, that some of the better quests in runescape are actually really good. I remember fighting the leaders of the Red Axe in the final part of the Red Axe series, that boss fight was insanely difficult and one of the hardest in any video game I've ever played. And I'll always remember going through the underground pass, and trying my best to navigate Tirannwn for the first time. Bad quests are really bad, good quests are really good, etc.

Posted

One MMO I play, Rift, has AWFUL quests. "Go gather five of X, set bombs over here, kill 20 Y". As much as I enjoy Rift, the quests are boring, and for a game that is nothing but quests, an MMO OF ALL THINGS, the quests should be exciting.

Posted

Definitely don't blame you, but I'm pretty sure thats the case with all MMO's. I think Runescape might especially be an offender though, because a lot of its community is old dogs who have been playing for years now. I know I'm coming up on my 11th year or something.

I've done every quest in Runescape except for four, and as much as I agree with the statement about the quality of Runescape's Quests, I also have to point out it makes the game so much worse when the quests are bad. For example, there's the penguin quest series and "some like it cold." I know they were trying to be wacky and fun, but that series was just kind of dumb overall. Or, the Sea Slug series. They had a real interesting thing going there with the savant magic kid and the slugs from the ocean that would take over people's brains, but the final quest was just boring, anticlimactic, and generally stupid.

That also means, though, that some of the better quests in runescape are actually really good. I remember fighting the leaders of the Red Axe in the final part of the Red Axe series, that boss fight was insanely difficult and one of the hardest in any video game I've ever played. And I'll always remember going through the underground pass, and trying my best to navigate Tirannwn for the first time. Bad quests are really bad, good quests are really good, etc.

Do you still play? I have you added but was never sure if it was actually you that was playing. I kinda stopped playing as I got kinda bored after I maxed, but might go back to finish the 2 new quests.

And ya the runescape community is kinda terrible to newcomers because like you said, a lot of them/us are old time players and don't like newbies coming in. Find a good friendly community/clan to be apart of and just ignore everyone else.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I still play, my screen name is also pheonix561. In fact, that's where this SN originated. I play pretty casually though. I'm F2P right now, and lately I've just been cutting and burning maples until I hit 99 fm. Once I'm done with that I'll cut and banks yews until I hit 99 wc, and then I'll probably go for 99s in cooking and fishing by catching and cooking lobbies. Not sure what I'll do after that.

The only times I ever play is when I know I'm going to be sitting at my computer for a long period of time doing something like filling out job applications or maybe something else mundane, so I don't really have any plans to become a member any time soon. What stats are you maxed on?

Edited by pheonix561 (see edit history)

Posted

you should play rift with me all of you

Posted

what is rift

Posted

Yeah I still play, my screen name is also pheonix561. In fact, that's where this SN originated. I play pretty casually though. I'm F2P right now, and lately I've just been cutting and burning maples until I hit 99 fm. Once I'm done with that I'll cut and banks yews until I hit 99 wc, and then I'll probably go for 99s in cooking and fishing by catching and cooking lobbies. Not sure what I'll do after that.

The only times I ever play is when I know I'm going to be sitting at my computer for a long period of time doing something like filling out job applications or maybe something else mundane, so I don't really have any plans to become a member any time soon. What stats are you maxed on?

All of them with the exception of 120 dungeoneering, which is only 104.

http://services.runescape.com/m=adventurers-log/profile?searchName=Scv

One MMO I play, Rift, has AWFUL quests. "Go gather five of X, set bombs over here, kill 20 Y". As much as I enjoy Rift, the quests are boring, and for a game that is nothing but quests, an MMO OF ALL THINGS, the quests should be exciting.

I played Rift when it first came out, and it was actually pretty fun for a little while. I liked the whole Rift feature, but eventually it gets boring.

I might play some more Elder Scrolls Online now that it's free to pay.

Posted

I also played Rift for a bit and it wasn't fun. GW2 is still my favorite MMO and it's side quests are really nice while still being MMO side quests. 

Posted

All of them with the exception of 120 dungeoneering, which is only 104.

Posted

One thing that was also a turn-off from Runescape was all the weird leveling systems. Leveling health, dungeoneering, like what, mining, foresting, there was too much. I joined in the game late so it was incredibly overwhelming.

Posted

Yeah, Runescape is different from other MMOs in that instead of just doing what your class lets you do, you do everything. Which invariably makes it a more difficult game to play, but you know. I mean I remember listening to people talk about WoW like "Oh my gosh, it takes you three months to get to max level in WoW!" And I'm over here all "Wowee KaZowee, do you want me to hold your bottle for you?" Because Runescape will take you years to get to max. Nowadays it takes a few months to get from level 1 to level 99 in something, and that's if you play, like, ten hours a day every day non stop, and even then compared to the way it was when I started playing, that's light speed.

Posted

Ya all skills with the exception of one, have a max level of 99. But you don't even get halfway to level 99 until you get to level 92.