Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What is the point of your life?

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't really know. I think about how, as humans, we are allowed to think and love and share and remember and do all these things with our brains, that we can share with other people. So my purpose, in that sense, is to make the best of it that I can. I don't always succeed, I rarely do. I want the best of what a human life has to offer: to have friends and family I'd do anything for; to find love that is raw, honest, and limitless; to feel the joy of being a parent and part of a family; to see the world and live experiences I've never had before; to change someone's life for the better; to feel accomplished in my career and hobbies, etc. I don't want to waste my life away. I don't know if I will ever actually be doing what I was "born" to do, because I have no idea what that would be for me. 

This is all easy for me to think about right now because I am dealing with a level of extreme stress from anxiety, work, and loneliness that I feel like I've never dealt with before. I'm a mess and it's destroying me. I should probably be seeing someone at this point.

Posted (edited)

In terms of my goals, I want to further the art forms I participate in, and to contribute something uniquely myself in what I create that persists in the artistic sphere as an influencing force. This is probably a direct side effect of evolutionary gene transfer being the primary driving force behind life in general: that you want to live forever through your genes, or through your legacy. But I don't really care about the implications, because they don't change my subjective experience.

Life is literally a matter of your subjective experiences. Your life is ultimately a collection of past events that determine whether you're satisfied. You never live life outside of your subjective experience. So I would say experiencing life in the best way I can, and leaving a mark I'm most satisfied with, is the meaning of my life. As someone who suffers empathetically in response to injustice, I'll be more satisfied if I can counter it somehow, and leave the world a better place for others too. As someone once put it, "Some people are so poor, all they have is money." Wealth in experience is not only subjectively better in my own views, but I would argue objectively better in reality at large.

Edited by Sahaqiel (see edit history)