Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pokemon Go

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Talk about Pokemon Go. 

(separate post) 

Here is my post about Pokemon Go. It's not meant to set the tone of the thread. Feel free to talk about whatever, but here is my opinion:

I think people are overhyping it. I think it will be really, really fun. But I think people are expecting too much. People are annoying me when they're like speculating all of these puppying ridiculous features of this FREE PHONE APP. Like, MAYBE ice Pokemon could spawn in lower temperatures probably and whatever. I don't know the extent of the information that a phone's map contains. But no one is going to painstakingly map out individual Pokemon to their specific in-universe locations. I mean it wouldn't be hard to classify large amounts of Pokemon into like "city" or "prairie" categories. But is that fun? Literally 99% of us would be catching shit Pidgeys and Rattatas if that happened. 

Skyler showed me Niantic's Ingress game. Niantic will be co-creating Pokemon Go. It admittedly has a lot of features in it and they're cool. It's more complicated than I thought. But at the same time, if anything, Pokemon Go will probably be a dumbed down version of Ingress. Ingress is kiiiinda confusing. Pokemon Go will surely be easier and kid-friendly. 

Also, maybe ONE of these was funny ONCE. But dude, these almost make me want to not play Pokemon Go. idk why they piss me off, but puppy. 

tumblr_nuh6qbQjm71u34b2uo1_1280.jpg

• Security officer:sir, why did you break into the museum exhibits ?
  • Me:Aerodactyl and Omanyte.
  • Security officer:Oh shit really! where?

-----

• Examiner:ma'am we are in the middle of an exam please get out of here
  • Me:but there is a Garchomp in here
  • Everyone in the exam room:holy shit seriousy
  • -----
  • Flight Attendant:Sir you must turn your cell phone off at this time
  • Me:I can't do that.
  • Flight Attendant:It is a safety precaution-
  • Me:THIS IS THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO CATCH HO-OH

It's just not funny Tumblr users all making the same joke in hopes that they'll have made it quick enough for it to get popular. Kill yourselvesaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

But yeah, Pokemon Go will be fun

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Yeah no this wont be nearly as good as people will think. If you saw how the Google version looked, it wasn't all that impressive

Posted

The trailer was so idealistic that it's hard not to be cynical about it. I'll still try the game out, but I feel like my experience will just be getting notifications every now and then and ignoring them. It'd be nice if the pursuit of Pokemon could connect you to nature and other people in the way the trailer promises, but it's too idealistic to inspire a lot of confidence in me. I don't believe in good things, apparently. Or at least I hate overhyped trailers.

I'll still try it though. It seems like it can offer something a cut above what other app games do, and I don't doubt it'll deliver a halfway satisfying experience. Even if it does end up just being PokeWalker with GPS.

Posted

I wanna just wait and see like, how the game will function and play and stuff before I make judgments, but I want to point out that the wrist things look fairly nice, and the lights on them are pretty bright as well. For those it comes down to cost.

Teto likes this

Posted

I don't know if it will make people connect with nature. In the Ingress game, the portal locations (the things that you have to track down) are located at sculptures, art, and outdoor signs. It's always accompanied by a photo and it's always been really public. So I don't think it's going to be sending people to like, discreet, random areas of nature. I think someone could find some bullshit way to hold Niantic responsible if they had a Pokemon spawn in some "dangerous" place. 

Posted

I'm just hoping it will be fun and won't cost a bazillion dollars to play.

SilverAlchemic likes this