Happy Thanksgiving

12 posts in this topic

Posted

The completely forgot Halloween, St Patrick's Day and a lot of others. This song discriminates against other holidays. Wow. Rude.

Posted (edited)

The only part of this that the UK has appropriated is Black Friday. Not sure if we've always done Black Friday, but I've noticed the advertising increase over the past couple years. Can't avoid Black Friday hype this year.

I don't really know how they're related though.

Had a look. Here's an article from 2010: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331965/Black-Friday-2010-Christmas-price-war-begins-shops-try-bring-event-Britain.html

So yeah, Amazon caused Black Friday to migrate to the UK. Kind of surreal that it's suddenly grown into such a big thing. Feel like 2015 will be the year it really caught on though.

Edited by Werewolf (see edit history)
SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

wow you guys dont have thanksgiving guess youre just not thankful for anything ever HUH

Posted

Christmas basically does everything Thanksgiving does, lol. From what I've been told anyways. It's such a questionable holiday in many ways. have fun spending time with the families you don't really want to spend time with though guys!

But yeah Black Friday has become a thing here somehow. It's gross as heck. Becoming more like America everyday! woooop. Definitely since last year though I've noticed it becoming an actual literal thing, the advertising has been RELENTLESS since. Thank god I don't have to work tomorrow..

Teto likes this

Posted

wow you guys dont have thanksgiving guess youre just not thankful for anything ever HUH

I'd say "we didn't commit genocide for this land tho" but that's just a fashionable thing to complain about. That and it was basically the British empire who did it, right?; but because they split off and made the US we're happy to not take responsibility for that over here. Like, we don't, so I don't really know why the current generation of Americans should either.

Christmas basically does everything Thanksgiving does, lol. From what I've been told anyways. It's such a questionable holiday in many ways. have fun spending time with the families you don't really want to spend time with though guys!

But yeah Black Friday has become a thing here somehow. It's gross as heck. Becoming more like America everyday! woooop. Definitely since last year though I've noticed it becoming an actual literal thing, the advertising has been RELENTLESS since. Thank god I don't have to work tomorrow..

I wonder if the unions have caught on to the trend and demanded people get extra pay for Black Friday yet. I feel like it's probably a thing in America to get paid extra for the BF shift, but I can imagine some people haven't taken those measures here yet.

Cascade and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

Most retail shops are hourly pay so I guess since they're open til late people will get the extra hours paid without hassle. Not sure what the protocol would be regarding like, Amazon/the post offices and delivery companies though. Once it settles as a definitely annual thing there'll be something, lol. 

At least (so far as I know) the shops here aren't opening at crazy early hours like I've heard what happens in the US, just open til later than usual. The shopping centre here closes at half 5 on fridays usually, but is open til like 8pm for Black Friday? Just like what happens every Thursday I guess lol. But with MORE ADVERTISING and DEALS. I will not be going near the centre tomorrow. Last year I made that mistake and just. queues. queues everywhere. not even happy queues.

Posted

Black Friday has been a big deal for a few years. I couldn't tell you when it happened. Now that everyone knows the drill, though, I think employees do get perks for working that day. I know some stores let you sign up for it voluntarily and they try to make it a fun event. 

It's hard are to say when Black Friday peaked or if it's still growing in the US. It's a trend now to close stores on Thanksgiving again. I feel like the insane Black Friday hype has died down. 

Posted

yeah, thanksgiving is just shitty christmas really. it lacks the cheer and spirit christmas brings, and its a lot more stressful. plus the season itself is shitty. thanksgiving always happens during the ugly part of fall where it's not snowed yet and everything is brown and gray and depressing.

Posted

Yeah, that's how I feel. Thanksgiving is just "time off and eat a lot," whereas Christmas is "time off, eat a lot, enjoy the spirit, listen to shitty music, give and get stuff, and generally be happy." 

Happy Thanksgiving anyway, though.

Posted

I spent my Thanksgivin' having dinner with Treemo's family and watching Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery.

Teto, SilverAlchemic and Knuckle like this

Posted

I really enjoy Thanksgiving because it's the first real break I've had since Labor Day (beginning of september for you UK folk). The school system I work in doesn't take off columbus day or veteran's day so I literally haven't had a break from work in almost three months

Posted

I really enjoy Thanksgiving because it's the first real break I've had since Labor Day (beginning of september for you UK folk). The school system I work in doesn't take off columbus day or veteran's day so I literally haven't had a break from work in almost three months

I work 12 months out of the year and don't have full vacation breaks like teachers (2 week winter break, 2 week spring break, etc) including summer. Teachers come back and ask us how our summer was, "oh it was great! I was still here, working!" I cry a little inside when they ask.

SilverAlchemic and Teto like this