Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why do people hate Link's companions so much?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I can maybe understand why people get annoyed by Navi easily, and maybe Fi because of her less-than-helpful advice, but why do people hate them so much?  Honestly, I think Midna's the best companion in a Zelda game, being of course a key character in TP.

In other news, I'm back!

Posted

Oh hey haven't seen you in a while! Hope you've been doing well, it's been a sad couple months for us Eagles fans :sadlink:

But yeah, I dunno if I really like any of the companions. Pretty much all of them explain things and I don't like explanations in video games.

Posted

Hmm. Well I've always seen Zelda games as very lonely and sometimes even depressing. A cheerful character that's always ready to help you out eases that sense of loneliness a bit, but the only companions I've ever liked were Midna and Navi. Fi I guess wasn't too bad, though she was annoying at first. 
It's easy to see why some don't like them, *cough*Knuckle makes a good point*cough* but I've always seen the companions as an integral part of the game. It wouldn't feel like Zelda if someone wasn't bothering you every so often with: "Remember how you're saving the world?! Get to it!"

That being said, I'd totally be fine with Zelda WiiU/NX not having a companion type character.

Posted

Makes sense. Companion characters can get annoying if they're saddled with a lot of exposition and nagging about the objective.

The one most people think about is Navi .Probably because, in an open-world game, she keeps reminding you of your objective. It made sense for Navi to fill this role so the player wouldn't forget where to go next for the main story - this probably happened a lot to players. Nowadays most games accomplish this with a quest list or an optional help feature, such as having to ask them specifically for help on the next step.

I liked Fi as a character, but the continuous exposition got old after awhile.

Maybe the reason Midna doesn't have this problem is that she plays a bigger part in the main story, and she's given ample time to show her personality and character development.

Posted

I really never found Navi all that annoying. I mean, yeah, I can see where where other people could get annoyed, but she was really helpful, especially when I was a first time Zelda player. Same with Tatl. I liked being told weaknesses and things like that. It helped a lot.

Fi wasn't terrible either. Although, her probabilities did get pretty old. Granted it was funny at first, but that river ran dry real quick.

Midna on the other hand, I don't like her. I like her story, but not her personality and not as a companion. Mainly because she's kind of a... rude... we'll go with that. Sure she gets better, but eh. Then as a companion, I found her laugh to be more annoying than Navi saying "Hey, listen!"