Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MARCH, WHO UP?!?!

12 posts in this topic

Posted

This place died in the new year. What happened? Who still comes by? What's everybody doing? I'm feeling like this is the forum's final year, and I'm wondering if we should just get each other on Twitter or Tumblr or Facebook or something and call it quits. What are the mods and admins views on this?

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted (edited)

I've actually been wondering what happened! I've checked in several times this year, but it's been so quiet... The other day, when I tried to log on, I got an error, so I didn't try again until today. 

I really don't want to see this place die. I want to make it to ten years as a member! But with how quiet it's gotten, I have to wonder if there's anything that could be done to reinvigorate the community. I think we're seeing people grow up from the last big influx of new members, and we haven't brought in anyone new to replace them. Plus, forums aren't nearly as popular of a form of social media as they used to be. 

Anyway, I'd much rather see this place find new life, but that's largely sentimental. I mean, it's been nearly ten years for me! That's hard to believe!

Anyway, it's been kind of a rough year for me. I've been trying to navigate life without my lifelong best friend, and it's been difficult. But I'm still working through seminary, figuring out exactly what I believe with regards to God, and trying to figure out how to be a good husband. It seems like life is suddenly moving so quickly. 

Also, I'm about 10,000 words into a draft of my fantasy novel! I'll get there someday.

What about you? How's your year been?

Edited by Shadowknight (see edit history)
Teto likes this

Posted

I've been trying to get my teaching license and then some things happened and now I don't know if I still have the mental stability to continue.

I'm kind of a mess right now to be honest and I haven't had a lot of time or energy to come on here. Sorry :sadlink:

Posted

I mainly come here to post poetry I write so it's all in one place and all you guys can see it if you care at all. I always wanna just post here, but I don't bother because nobody comes around. Plus I don't think I'm too popular here anyways. Plus it's dead. So I don't come.

Posted

Knuckle: I understand needing some time away. Life can be completely brutal at times, and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. Sometimes you just need to step back so you can breathe. 

Cass: I didn't know you wrote poetry! I went through and read it, and I enjoyed it a lot!

Posted

I agree that I don't want to see this community dissolve either, but mainly because I don't see how we could carry it somewhere else.

I don't dislike you, Cass. I can't even fully recall what our old dispute was. A lot of daft stuff has happened on this forum over the years. When it comes down to it I care moderately about everyone here, as long as they're being real, and even if they're lying I'm moderately invested in that, because liars are interesting. Whatever you were or are, I'll be interested to hear about it. But I have a general aversion to poetry about feelings, so I actually haven't read your thread.

I feel like this forum is almost at a point where we could just use one thread for everything. Maybe it's me but when everything is so spread out, it feels inaccessible. I'm glad we're checking in here.

Knuckle, if you ever wanted to talk about what's going on, I'd listen.

Posted

I mean I could post threads but it'd just be about Pokemon or something. I mean, we could all like, coax friends into coming here and stuff, but apparently a lot of errors occur when people try to sign up now.

Posted

You know me, I always come and go. Sometimes it's not for a year and sometimes it's not for less. Though, I haven't be "gone" I've just been logged off because for some reason I couldn't log on. This is the first I've tried in weeks.

I've been trying to write my book, which is hard because I'm rewriting all of it because of plot holes. Plus I've been trying to live. One of my friends' went to college so I hardly see them and the only other friend I see has other things to do most of the times. Heck, I spent 3 weeks alone for the first time since I graduated in 2012. It was honestly horrible.

Also thanks for making me feel old, Shadowknight. I can't believe I joined almost 9 years ago. I remember the old days like it was yesterday. *Sigh* Now I'm just sad.

Posted

If I may offer some advice about the writing, I'd recommend that you work on churning out a complete draft before doing any editing. It's hard, and it sucks knowing that you aren't happy with what you have, but finishing a draft is honestly one of the hardest parts of writing. Once you have the first draft finished, set it aside for a little while and do something else before coming back to edit. When you do, take it one chapter (section, part, whatever) at a time and work through. 

Butcher it. It will be difficult, because it's like a child, but you have to be willing to cut and rebuild mercilessly until you are satisfied with the result. But again, it's so satisfying to finally produce a product that all the struggle will be worth it. And for now, you just have to finish a draft and get your plot on paper.

With regards to people leaving, I understand. After losing my best friend at the end of last year, I've been struck with a profound sense of being alone. I'm in a new city, working a new job, attending a new school, trying to figure out how to be good at all of that while also being a good (new) husband. My friends are either in San Antonio or Houston, for the most part, and I don't exactly fit in well with my new peers. That's probably why I started showing back up here, honestly. When it was an active and thriving community, this place helped me through some of the loneliest years of my life, so even though it's a lot less active now, it still brings some comfort. 

But yeah, I completely understand what you mean about feeling old. I mean, I'm a married, gainfully employed, twenty-two year old grad student with aspirations and ambitions. I'm considering doctoral work and managing investments. When I look at what I posted when I first came here, the difference is almost unbelievable. And you know, I remember when y'all first started coming around too. It's strange to consider.

Posted

Actually, I did finish a complete draft. In fact, I finished a complete draft of two books for a duology. That's why I'm having a hard time with it because I'm butchering it. I'm also trying to make two books into one by using assets from both. After talking about it, I feel pretty good. I'm going to go work on it now! :D

Also, I know what you mean about not fitting in with peers. I can get along with the people I work with, but they aren't the kind of people I'd hang out with outside of work. Luckily my friend is on Spring break this week so I won't feel totally alone.

Posted

Oh, fantastic! The first draft is always the most difficult, in my opinion. I've never tried to split a book, though, so that could probably present some unique challenges.

Posted

Oh, fantastic! The first draft is always the most difficult, in my opinion. I've never tried to split a book, though, so that could probably present some unique challenges.

The hardest part is trying to create continuity and having it make sense. Since most stuff from book 2 happened because of book 1, I'll need to think of why it's that way altogether.